Author Topic: What's your opinion on VR ?  (Read 1995 times)

gameblabla (OP)

What's your opinion on VR ?
« on: August 17, 2017, 09:01:37 pm »
Hello guys,
What's your opinion on Virtual reality ? (Oculus Rift, HTC Vive, Playstation VR or even the Virtual Boy)

My first VR experience was using the Playstation VR playing "The Deep".
At first it's kind of impressive. I mean, it's like you're in there !
However, after 2 minutes or so, the effect wears off and i get used to it.

As for the Virtual Boy, i gave it a try like almost 8 years ago on Mednafen.
I used it with the red-cyan glasses and the 3D effect was not too bad but after a while, i was no longer able to perceive it.
Worse of all, i got a headache after playing 20 minutes on it.
I did not experience headaches with PSVR but i like i said, i only tried for 5 minutes or so.

SONY

• !
Re: What's your opinion on VR ?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2017, 12:46:02 am »
Needs another 10 years or so to mature... I don't want to buy into it until we reach Star Trek Holodeck technology.
Nintendo Switch w/ipega PG-9083

SONY PS3 Super Slim
SONY PS4 Slim
SONY PS4 Pro

ALLDOCUBE Mix Plus w/ ipega PG-9023

Apple iPad pro 2019 w/Gamevice (pending)

omgmog

• * Administrator
  • Doesn't sleep.
    • omgmog.net
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2017, 09:04:45 am »
I've been working a lot with VR over the past two years -- both as a consumer and as a creator of content.

I own a HTC Vive, Google Daydream compatible phone, and I'm currently reviewing a Deepoon DPVR E3.

I'd say if you've got the money/space/hardware for it, it's definitely a fun way to play games.

We're a couple of AAA games short of it being worthwhile for most people, but a number of big names (e.g. Valve, Bethesda) are working on AAA titles.

The difference between stationary/seated VR (e.g. PSVR) and room-scale VR (e.g. HTC Vive) is like night and day. It's a shame that the most accessible VR is the PSVR because in my opinion that's the most restricted (and probably worst first experience) for most people.

For me with the HTC Vive nothing beats that first time you put the HMD on, and then you pick up the controllers. Being able to track the position of the controllers in real-time in 3D-space is amazing.

LordDavon

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2017, 06:10:19 pm »
I've got 2 Gear VR sets (S7 Edge on the older and S8+ on the latest), PSVR and Oculus Rift w/Touch (3 sensors).  I think my favorite is the Gear VR, just because it's the easiest to use, it's wireless and content is good.  My wife has one with her S8+ (came with the pre-order), and she uses it to watch movies when she uses the treadmill.

The PSVR is good, but much lower resolution, so while games like Farpoint are a lot of fun, there isn't a "killer game" that really defines the PSVR as a MUST HAVE.  PSVR is sorely lacking content, and many games have a VR level or something VR tacked in.  I've not tried Resident Evil 7 in VR yet, but I'm not a horror game fan.

I really love my Oculus Rift, but I mostly use it with racing games.  Racing games in VR are about as close as we are going to get for "killer game" right now.  I've got the Thrustmaster TMX wheel and pedals, and the 360 car view with the force feedback of the wheel really has you feeling like your in the car driving.  Dirt Rally and Project Cars are just amazing in VR.   

I don't have much room for room-scale games, and can only get an 8x7 area when I move things around.  Room-scale just takes me out of the immersion as I keep feeling the cord from the headset.  Once these things go wireless, I think that's when it will take off more.  I hear there is something coming to make the Vive wireless.  Once that hits, I'll get my next VR headset.

Jutleys

• Retrogamers97-90
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2018, 08:01:06 am »
I have a oculus rift setup the latest cv1 on my new gaming laptop and i think Robo recall is a good demonstration of what vr can really do now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgu4VmjM5Gw

Post a new topic
Post a new topic