Author Topic: Dingoo tech. A330 - thoughts and facts about the final HW and SW specification  (Read 6848 times)

ricsi (OP)

As you have propably heared dingoo technology has released a successor to the A320 called the A330.
Little was/is known about this unit.

First not even the used CPU was disclosed, but now there is a review made by omgmog here in the HW section. He has also made pictures, and we CAN now confirm that the CPU used is identical on both units A320 and Dingoo Tech A330.

Here is the (of today) difference between the 2 units:
* better LCD
* new housing
* 64 MB RAM
* better shoulderbuttons
* proprietary wireless controller

At the moment it is not yet clear, if the added RAM will be utilized under the native firmware.
The sample units contained FW which was dated the same as the last a320 FW, and except of cosmetic changes to the skin, there was no visible difference in functionality.
Including the fact that all emulators are still identical between the dingoo tech a330 and the a320.

edit: the retail units are identical to the "review units".
The Dingoo Technologies A330 ships with a hacked A320 Firmware from September 2009!
This means that the doubled RAM is not utilized AT ALL in the native OS!

Also the exact workings and specification of the wireless controller are not yet clear.
The sample wireless controller worked out of the box in dingux (meaning no SW support needed) and it contains 2 (analog??? - yet unconfirmed) sticks which map to their digital counterparts (eg dpad and xyab) and 2shouldebuttons which cannot be differentiated (eg it is exactly the same if you press L1 or L2). 
Until prooven otherwise (simply release a small demo app, which reads out the ANALOG values ... egy analog1 x-axis:-0.8 y-axis:0.6) it is believed that this behaviour CANNOT be altered.

<edit> albeit the unit is being sold for some time, we have NOT received any news.
So we can be pretty sure that thecurrent assumptions are correct:
* no analog function in the sticks
* sticks hardcoded to dpad and abxy and l1 tied to l2, r1 to r2
* no possibility to use 2 controllers
* no possibility to use wirless to connect 2 A330s for multiplayer
</edit>

so here are some questions about the EXACT specification of the dingoo technology a330:
<edit> After waiting some time, I have filled out our assumptions about the A330. Please speak up if you have evidence that some assumptions are wrong.

1) what is default clockrate of the CPU (a320 had a 400MHz CPU clocked by default at 336)
<darfgarf: "default clockrate of the A330 is 400 MHz in native OS">
<albeit confirms that the stock native speed is 336MHz ... the same as in A320>

The A330 is clocked exactly the same as the A320.
It also uses exactly the same FW (only HXF edits of the menu and pictures).

2) is it possible to use 2 wireless controllers on one a330 for wireless dual player?

no

3) does the a330 itself only contain a wireless receiver - if it also has a sender could possibly be used to do multiplayer between 2 a330 units (after SW upgrade)

no

4) is it possible to use the sticks as analog sticks and utilize them as analog sticks in SW? is it possible to distinguish L1 from L2 shoulderbutton press?

no

6) can you run the "old" homebrew on the a330 which did not work on some HK dingoos?? (for example old sms emu ... if I remember correctly)
<darfgarf: "The A330 runs those applications without problems">
<omgmog: "only HK patched homebrew runs">

-> so the answer is no ...
The A330 runs only the applications the A320 HK runs.

7) there are reports from sticky and springy dpads on the sample ... will this be changed on the retail unit

???? I was waiting for additional reviews here ... but albeit the unit is selling now for some time, I have not seen additional reviews!
if you now some: post URLs please

If you have answers to some of these questions, than speak (write ;) up.
But please also add reasoning and/or proofs.
Also speak up, if I have forgotten any important question about the A330.

My goal is to have as much technical info about the specification of the Dingoo Technology A330 as possible.
Please no comments about fakeness or about manucaturing companies ... there are other threads for that.

Maybe somebody could also add a section in the wiki about the A330 final.
(NOT the sample unit, but the final HW and SW specification)

edit: added darfgarf answers to 1) and 6) (both of his answers have prooven to be wrong!!)
number 5 indeed was omitted because of my mistake.
added the answers as we assume them currently.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 09:16:58 am by ricsi »

darfgarf

1)400
2)no idea
3)no idea
4)no idea
5)you skipped this number, learn to make numbered lists
6)yes
7)no idea

ricsi (OP)

1)400
6)yes

thanx for your answer. Yes indeed ... I forgot #5 (actually deleted it and forgot to renumber).

1) So you can confirm that the sample A330 runs by default with 400MHz in the native OS?
Have you checked with the overclock app (which displays the default clock)?

6) good to hear. so you checked a binary which did not work on some HK models yourself on a sample A330? or have confirmation from somebody who has a A330 sample?

Plea to all future answers: please add a reference/proof/reasoning to the answer.

darfgarf

i haven't personally checked, but mogs 330 came at 400, (clocked up to 470, but who knows about overclocking), and he said native stuff runs fine.  it's the same OS/programs anyways

ricsi (OP)

i haven't personally checked, but mogs 330 came at 400, (clocked up to 470, but who knows about overclocking), and he said native stuff runs fine.  it's the same OS/programs anyways

thanx again.

So we can add another point to the a320-a330 delta:
* 64MHz faster default clock

I wonder how this affects the battery time ...

Also how are the native emulators affected?
When I overclock my old A320 to 400MHz navigation in the emulator is hard as it is muuuuch faster.
Have they patched all the emulators to take this speed increase of the CPU into account?
what happens if you copy the emulator of a a320 to the a330 - the menu should be too fast.

omgmog

• * Administrator
  • Doesn't sleep.
    • omgmog.net
Native homebrew only ran if it was compiled with the new SDK, or had been "HK patched". Under Dingux I managed to get 460 *stable*.

Stephanie

Re. the wireless functions and the controller (#s 2, 3, 4):

Based on photos of the internals, the same wireless board is used in both Dingoo and Controller; this suggests they are transcievers (capable of both transmit and receive).

Based on the chips that the wireless boards are connected to, and the way they appear connected, my speculation is that the wireless boards are using serial communication over wireless.

It would be possible to wire up the controller to tap into the TX line between the cpu and the wireless board, and see if the shoulder buttons and analog controllers are sending different signals. If L1 and L2 send different signals, and if the analog sticks send different signals than the dpad / xyab, then it should be possible for the dingoo to be updated to receive  that info.

Conversely if the data is coming out of the controller with the controls already merged / mimiced then that's all there is to it.

The Elan tech chip in the dingoo is flashable, so it should be possible for an update to rewrite how that chip works, enabling additional functions. Assuming that the flash data & clock signals are utilized.

If the wireless boards are identical as they appear and if the Elan controller chip can be flashed in place, and if the Dingoo firmware is updated to permit it, then I believe it is within the hardware's capability to run two controllers on one Dingoo, or even run two Dingoos together 'head to head' so to speak.

All this is speculation based on the photos, I don't have an actual unit to run tests on. I'll get one eventually though.

ricsi (OP)

Native homebrew only ran if it was compiled with the new SDK, or had been "HK patched". Under Dingux I managed to get 460 *stable*.

So the answer to answer to 6) is clearly no.

My old a320 runs stable at 450 MHz ... this very much depends on the manufacturing variations for components - mostly the CPU.

darfgarf said that it runs by default with 400 MHz (that is 64 MHz faster as a A320 by default) how do the native emulators deal with this?

When the a320 is overclocked to 400MHz the menu of the emulators is very fast (read too fast).
Have dingoo tech patched the built in emulators to take this into account.
When you run the native overclock app ... does it really show 400 by default?

ricsi (OP)

thanks Stephanie for your comments and observations.

Let's wait until more reviews pop up ...
maybe some of them cover those points.

Or maybe somebody who manufacturs or sells those unit finally speak up, about the EXACT specifications of the unit they are selling.

ricsi (OP)

achimp's has confirmed that the A330 runs with 336MHz per default.

also regarding your comment in the other thread:
you are wrong, the overclock app does indeed reads the current frequency.
Just try it, overclock to some value, an reenter the app ... you will see that it shows the value you have entered previously! (you have to hold button pressed, otherwise the native OS resets the clock!)

I am also wondering about the promised update.
At the moment the 64MB RAM are completely useless in native OS.
We were promised an update, so that the SW makes actual use of the doubled memory.

Shoptemp is selling the device for a long time now, but dingoo tech still ships a hacked a320 FW from september 2009.

ricsi (OP)

1)400
2)no idea
3)no idea
4)no idea
5)you skipped this number, learn to make numbered lists
6)yes
7)no idea

darfgarf ... did you receive a special unit?? it seems that retail units differ very much from the answers that you provided!

regarding the CPU clock, there is a confirmation that the default clock is the same as in the A320.
Where have got the info that you provided (400MHz default clock in native OS)

Also regarding your comment about the overclocking app ... this is not true.
It actually reads the CURRENT frequency and displays it.

Also regarding 6) (HK patch) it _IS_ indeed needed.
See the thread of a new A330 owner ... APP and SIM files not working.
After HK patch, he has no further problems.

I would be thankfull, if you could in futuer be a bit more verbose in your answers, and how you got that info!

darfgarf

Okay seriously? 2 lengthy replies to correct a small mistake made in another thread, that I'd already corrected myself? Guess I should just stop bothering helping the community at all then XD

ricsi (OP)

Okay seriously? 2 lengthy replies to correct a small mistake made in another thread, that I'd already corrected myself? Guess I should just stop bothering helping the community at all then XD

No need to stop!

Just if you reply try to be a bit more precise and verbose.
You provided 2 answers. Both have been very short (1)400 6)yes) and both have been wrong.

If you would have explained where you have that info from, or how certain you are, than we would have had a better view.

No offence ... just wanted to clear up the answers.
Do not take it personally darfgarf! and keep on helping the community.
Also if you are not certain about something you can post that ("I think", "in my point of view", "as far as I know", .....) this helps separating assumptions from facts!