• HomeBoards
  • RulesRules
  • HelpHelp
  • WikiWiki
  • Donate

Author Topic: nice-looking mp5 player  (Read 18692 times)

bamboori (OP)

nice-looking mp5 player
« on: April 02, 2013, 02:41:26 pm »
http://www.lightinthebox.com/hot-sale-high-quality-2-8-inch-game-mp5-player_p425701.html

what do you guys think? have you seen this one already? (maybe somewhere cheaper? :p)
im gonna order one later today. looks like a nice little handheld with the typical spmp8k stuff.

any opinions?

also, i think ive see nthe design before... but i dont know where? any ideas guys?
Handhelds:
Powkiddy V90, FC3000, X2, LDK vertical, PMP IV, RS-90...

MightyJAK

• My tumblr
Re: nice-looking mp5 player
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 06:04:06 pm »
This is new to me. Looks like a very comfortable, unique design, bit like a cross between GCW-Zero and JXD-300. The screen shown on it looks the same as the one on this: http://www.lightinthebox.com/hot-sale-2-8-inch-mp5-player-with-32bit-game-with-camera_p425700.html?pos=ultimately_buy_5 , which itself looks to be a redesign of a JXD-100 clone.

I'm apprehensive about its gaming capabilities, since the product description only says "With game function", no further explanation of what kind of games it plays. Maybe it is an spmp8k device with some decent 8/16-bit emulators, maybe it only plays a few built-in games... If you do buy it, make sure to let us know if it was worth the price!
My machines:
GBC,GBA,GBA SP,NDS,NGPC,Panasonic FZ-10 3DO,NES,Sega Nomad,Sega CDX w/Power Base Converter,PS1,PS2,PS3,Saturn,Dreamcast,PC (Win 98, XP, 7),Dingoo A320,Dingoo A330,Gemei A330,LetCool N350JP,PAP-GAMETA,GCW-Zero SE,Kyocera Rise,2DS,GP2X-F100,GPD G7,JXD 100,JXD A1000,JXD A3300,JXD F3000,JXD V5000,JXD S7300B,Hyperkin SupaBoy

Currently playing: Theatrhythm Final Fantasy Curtain Call (2DS)

bamboori (OP)

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 06:13:45 pm »
actually i know the os running on it, just not in that resolution. its the firmware thats often in the cheap psp clones.
emulation works pretty ok for most games, but im not entirely sure its spmp8k.

also, i ordered it :D shame i didnt find a coupon code.
chose the white one, as it looks nice and there is no pic of the black version.
Handhelds:

bamboori (OP)

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 06:32:08 pm »
the order is still progressing... oh well, tomorrow my jxd s602 and my new phone will arrive so ill be good for now :p
also... i suspect that the handheld will have pins for touchscreen somewhere. if it is the os i think it is (and it really looks like it), then its touch-optimized. would be really cool :)

the device i had with that os (an jxd a16 clone) had no touch, but back then i was a hardware noob... at least i could figure out how to change the button settings. normally you use touch to highlight the emulated button, then press the desired handheld button to bind it. but if you just save the default key config you can edit it on pc with a hex editor (took me a while to figure out the button codes though).
Handhelds:

DisgruntleElf

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2013, 03:28:24 pm »
Have you received it?  Would like to hear your review.

bamboori (OP)

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2013, 09:16:03 pm »
not yet... but it should arrive in the next few days :) im very eager to test it out and take a look at the internals
Handhelds:

gibberish

• Obscure Handhelds
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2013, 11:00:13 am »
Any joy yet bamboori?  :)

bamboori (OP)

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2013, 11:57:21 am »
nope )= really sucks that lightinthebox is the only seller of it yet... never ordered from them before and i wont more than needed (some mp5s are only available there).
if it wont arrive today or monday or they at least respond to my inquiries ill get paypal for help ( - 3-)
Handhelds:

jamesensor

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2013, 03:20:52 am »
When I read this I went looking for info around and also on youtube.

Behold! (don't take it serious)

Handsized Game Media Player Is Old School Gamer's Dream http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBdo7eZW98Y

Like the name says, forget gcw, cannoo dingoo whatever dudes, this is it, old school gamer's DREAM

That handheld must be something like this, probably, but I'm also curious now. It has a different design than most pmp, etc players.
PSP 3000 | PSP Go | Ps 2 | Xbox Original | Ireadygo Much i5 | Aurora II | Pipo w2f | Tonsmart Vega S-89h | Lenovo K3 Note | Tronsmart Draco H3 | Raspberry Pi 2

bamboori (OP)

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2013, 07:51:42 am »
That one only supports 8bit emulation though :p
i really hope ill get it soon...
The handheld we talk about has the typical pmp firmware, so 16bit emulation. The obvious hardware advantages are the 4:3 screen and the good form factor.
Handhelds:

jimclarson

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2013, 01:32:35 am »
updates on the caanoo form factored mp5 player? did it ever get delivered? if so how is it?

bamboori (OP)

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2013, 01:16:37 pm »
nope... )=
theres still a slight chance of it arriving, but dont get your hopes up too much...
damnit :|
actually i wanted to order the other one mentioned here too... but if this one doesnt arrive ive had it with LitB ):
« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 01:21:11 pm by bamboori »
Handhelds:

bamboori (OP)

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2013, 02:50:32 pm »
could take it from the tariff office today!
first impression: looks cool, seems fast, but shite without any physical mods.

more to come in the next days! :P
Handhelds:

gibberish

• Obscure Handhelds
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2013, 05:53:12 pm »
glad it finally arrived bamboori!
looking forward to some more info and pics!

bamboori (OP)

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2013, 07:11:17 pm »
im gonna make a video review tomorrow or this weekend :)
after that ill do some tweaks and show the internals. looked inside already, and it has 3 or 4 chips i think. and it really runs pretty fast (some snes games run too fast infact :P that could be the region though).
also, i will try to make a tool for mapping the keys on pc if i can, because sadly you cannot remap the keys on the handhelds directly (it only works with a touch screen and i didnt see any connector pins on the board).
Handhelds:

bamboori (OP)

« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2013, 10:21:47 pm »
okay, snes REALLY needs to be tweaked. its running too fast!? i sure didnt expect that haha!
also for all games the select is the exit button, and the vol up key instead is select. dafuq?
and the key layout for genesis/megadrive emulation suck hard (two face buttons plus right shoulder!?)

but the key layouts are fixable 100% :p
i just hope somebody finds a way to hack into this device to tweak the emulators and maybe the standard key layouts.
Handhelds:

bamboori (OP)

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2013, 09:41:03 pm »
so i made some kind of video :p
<a href="https://web.archive.org/web/20210410123811/https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0K7789CjQJM" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0K7789CjQJM</a>
during metroid i noticed that if you go crazy with the controls, some keys hang in the software (in the video l and left). i did never get that during normal gameplay yet though :p

also sorry that im sometimes shifting the handheld up too much, i literally had to tape my webcam on my forehead to film properly...

as you can hear (hopefully) the buttons are quite loud, especially the shoulder buttons, so dont think about playing this while in class or something :p apart from the shoulder buttons though they feel ok, like the gba sp ones.
also, as i said, snes runs too fast. usual problems with games like jikkyou oshaberi parodius cause they use old emus like always. notice though hos the bootup is incredibly fast compared to older devices with the same OS. which leads me to believe they simply put more power into it, but didnt regulate the emulators.
but apart from snes all the games work full speed at most... weird.
anways, heres why i said its shite without any mods: the handheld has a vibration module. now why you ask this is so bad? simply because it vibrates while you hold any face action button, so pretty much all the frikkin time! what the hell china. during gaming this annoys you as hell, as you feel like playing with an adults toy rather than a gaming device.
remove it and youre fine.

some pics... pretty bad resolution... soon ill have a better phone ._.

back of the circuit board. not terribly much going on here. above the speaker on the top you can see solder pins for the vibration module. also there are pins (and speaker holes in the case) for a second speaker, but i guess they screwed it for the "analog" stick. i dont think a second speaker the size of the original would fit in.

the front of the board, with lcd and rubber pads.

two of the chips.

the third chip. i guess this is the flash memory.

so all in all, after the removal of the vibration module this handheld is quite nice. doesnt seem to be spmp8k, i tried installing the homebrew emulators for it and it failed.
the mega drive games have to be .bin format.
what is also nice that when the battery is low it tells you that and returns you to the game menu, but you are still able to save your current progress :) i hated that when playing the letcool :|
the battery itself does not hold that long, but since its interchangeable you can simply put in a better one (the original one doesnt even have an amperage label).
you can also choose to play in scaled mode or in original screen size. not really recommended for gameboy, but gold for snes because theres no ugly pixelation :)

i really hope somebody can fix the snes emulation, or add more options for the emulators in general :)
Handhelds:

naxeras

« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2013, 08:15:13 am »
It is an actions semiconductor CPU is not  a sunplus. Its  a CPU is very similar to EGP1000.

What sistems are emulated? PSX, SNES, GBA, NEO-GEO, CPS1 and CPS2?

Have yo the original firmware?

I created a custom firmware that support these systems for EGP1000 because whith the original firmware only worked PSX, SNES and GBA.

bamboori (OP)

« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2013, 11:07:51 am »
it supports nes, gameboy/color, gba, snes (too fast) and megadrive.
didnt test neogeo/cps1/2 yet... what is the typical rom format for those?

i only have the handheld, but i know its somehow possible to dump firmwares from mp5 players... its just different for every single one xP
Handhelds:

lemmywinks

« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2013, 12:47:29 pm »
also sorry that im sometimes shifting the handheld up too much, i literally had to tape my webcam on my forehead to film properly...

I think we need pictures of this...... ;D
Handhelds:
GPD Win, GPD XD 64gb, PlayGo, RS-90, 3DS XL, DSi XL, GBA SP, GBBC Clone, Gameboy Pocket c/w screen mod, PSP Go
PC:
Medion Erazer, Toshiba Z20t, Dell Mini 9, Psion 5MX
Tons of other old laptops and tablets.....