• HomeBoards
  • RulesRules
  • HelpHelp
  • WikiWiki
  • Donate

Author Topic: LetCool N350JP for $19.99USD from chinavision  (Read 9170 times)

MightyJAK (OP)

• My tumblr
LetCool N350JP for $19.99USD from chinavision
« on: March 01, 2013, 03:27:15 pm »
Was browsing though some of the "Chinese Gadget Shops" linked from the Obscure Handhelds blog on a whim, and I stumbled upon this:

http://www.chinavasion.com/china/wholesale/MP3_Players/4GB_MP4_Players/Letcool_Multiplatform_Handheld_Gaming_Entertainment_Station

Price good through March 7 or while supply lasts. To put this savings in perspective, dealextreme is currently selling it for $91.80.  :o
My machines:
GBC,GBA,GBA SP,NDS,NGPC,Panasonic FZ-10 3DO,NES,Sega Nomad,Sega CDX w/Power Base Converter,PS1,PS2,PS3,Saturn,Dreamcast,PC (Win 98, XP, 7),Dingoo A320,Dingoo A330,Gemei A330,LetCool N350JP,PAP-GAMETA,GCW-Zero SE,Kyocera Rise,2DS,GP2X-F100,GPD G7,JXD 100,JXD A1000,JXD A3300,JXD F3000,JXD V5000,JXD S7300B,Hyperkin SupaBoy

Currently playing: Theatrhythm Final Fantasy Curtain Call (2DS)

yoshi41

Re: LetCool N350JP for $19.99USD from chinavision
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 05:47:41 pm »
That's really tempting. Just wanted to order one. Unfortunately, they have no free shipping option.
Emulator packs and fact sheets for Wiz, Caanoo, Dingoo and Pandora.

MightyJAK (OP)

• My tumblr
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 07:57:56 pm »
Unfortunately, they have no free shipping option.
I decided to go for it. $19.99 + $17.92 shipping = $37.91

DX may have free shipping, but this still beats their price by $53.89  ;D
My machines:
GBC,GBA,GBA SP,NDS,NGPC,Panasonic FZ-10 3DO,NES,Sega Nomad,Sega CDX w/Power Base Converter,PS1,PS2,PS3,Saturn,Dreamcast,PC (Win 98, XP, 7),Dingoo A320,Dingoo A330,Gemei A330,LetCool N350JP,PAP-GAMETA,GCW-Zero SE,Kyocera Rise,2DS,GP2X-F100,GPD G7,JXD 100,JXD A1000,JXD A3300,JXD F3000,JXD V5000,JXD S7300B,Hyperkin SupaBoy

bamboori

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 11:03:19 pm »
heh. i paid more than double the price... and mine died. yeah. not getting another one.
playing tetris with ma bro-bud was cool, but next time well just use two controllers and a pc or anything.

...yeah, not too fond of the letcool anymore :p
Handhelds:
Powkiddy V90, FC3000, X2, LDK vertical, PMP IV, RS-90...

hosunlee89

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2013, 10:46:02 pm »
I'm planning on buying one of these next week for 19.99. Before, I saw them on sale at DX for 91.99 and thought to myself "hellll noo". However, for 19.99 you really can't go wrong. The sale ends supposedly in 11 days, so next week will be perfect timing.

Can anyone tell me if this is a good investment (not that 20 bucks is that much, but in terms of the hardware and such)

Frank_fjs

• My simple Dingoo web site
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2013, 11:59:37 pm »
The $40 (with shipping) price tag isn't a bargain, it's on par with the quality and usefulness of the device. I'd rather spend that $40 on an actual NES/Mega Drive etc console.

Emulation isn't great nor is build quality.

hosunlee89

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2013, 06:41:03 am »
So the letcool is a p.o.s, I presume. Damn it, I was hoping it was decent enough to warrant a buy.

Trevor Belomont

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2013, 07:33:15 am »
It's the 2nd or 3rd time that i've seen that Chinavasion's had that "sale ends in (so many days)" thing.
They're desperate.
Anyone who knows better knows to stay away from them, unless they don't mind the idea of having it hooked up to a wall forever, in the rare instance that it survives past 3 weeks, or having an interesting display piece for conversation starters...

"Hey, what's that thing...?"
"OH, it's this chinese piece of crap i saw online and lasted about 2 or 3 weeks before it took it's last shit and became my favorite, videogaming paper weight...right next to my Atari 2600...haha..."

Cough!, cough!
Sorry, got carried away... :)

MightyJAK (OP)

• My tumblr
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2013, 09:28:52 pm »
It's the 2nd or 3rd time that i've seen that Chinavasion's had that "sale ends in (so many days)" thing.
They're desperate.

Yup, this is the same tactic Eachgame took when selling off their old stock of EGP1000s; make it look like the special $10 price tag is only good for a few days, when it's really "until we sell out", and they just keep resetting the timer if there's still stock left when the timer runs out. And it looks this trick worked, it's now listed as "Temporarily Sold Out".  ::)
My machines:

MightyJAK (OP)

• My tumblr
Re: LetCool N350JP for $19.99USD from chinavasion
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2013, 07:27:35 am »
It's 7 months later, and the Letcool is for only still in stock (afaik) at Etronixmart ($75.95), but I thought I should still post this follow-up on my experience, better late than never...

I'm pretty satisfied with my purchase and still make regular use of it (watched MST3K on it while eating dinner tonight, and listening to music with it hooked up to the TV right now while I type this). It's got some highs and lows, although it doesn't really excel any one field, it is capable of some things even the dingoo and GCW can't do. I'd say it's worth the price I paid, but I'd be kicking myself if I had paid over $40 for it.

I do have a beef with Chinavasion for the particular unit they sent me. Although I can't prove it, there are a few quirks to it that make me think they sold me a refurbished (or possibly used, returned, and just repackaged) unit:

• The screen has a stuck pixel. It's a minor thing, off to the side and a dark color so it's hard to notice. I suppose it's possible a defect like this could've slipped past a hasty QC check on a cheap mass-produced device, but the only other device I've had with a stuck pixel, the pixel wasn't stuck when I first got the device, but got stuck after a few months of use.
  • The front plate of the casing is loose in the upper right, not flush with the plastic that makes up the top and side, like it is on the rest of the front. The Start button is very mushy, has to be pressed in below the casing to actuate, in contrast with the Select button which clicks with just a slight press.
  • The removable screen protector was on kind of crooked, and had some dust and air bubbles under the edge. Gives the impression it was a new one they hastily slapped on after it was sent back with the original protector removed
  • There was (almost) nothing pre-loaded. Usually when you get a device like this, it comes with a few files to demonstrate the device's capabilities. Even if it doesn't come with game roms, there will usually be some music files and movie trailers. My Letcool had NOTHING... except 2 files in the GAME/BIN folder: BurningTetris.rec and ES_Data.bd. I theorize this Letcool's original owner left a bunch of roms on the unit when he returned it, and the folks at Chinavasion, in their haste to remove any infringing roms as part of their "refurbishment" also removed the "native" BIN games, but left these two (highscore table?) files alone due to their odd extensions, thinking they might be important system files.

Long story short, I'd say be wary when shopping at Chinavasion, especially if you see a low price for something that's been out for a while. What they're advertising as "new" may actually turn out to be a (poorly) refurbished used model.  :o
My machines:

Post a new topic
Post a new topic