Author Topic: Letcool Gamestation  (Read 173560 times)

quartercast

Re: Letcool Gamestation
« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2010, 10:13:47 am »
Seems my Letcool is in the country (UK), but as it's a holiday weekend I won't get it until Tuesday! (unless DHL delivery on bank holidays.. I hope they do)

Did you get your tracking # in the end? Hopebuy have replied and they said DHL refused to ship anything with a battery in it, and so they used UPS instead. Reckon that's bullshit?

omgmog

• * Administrator
  • Doesn't sleep.
    • omgmog.net
« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2010, 10:28:37 am »
Did you get your tracking # in the end? Hopebuy have replied and they said DHL refused to ship anything with a battery in it, and so they used UPS instead. Reckon that's bullshit?

They emailed me saying:

Dear Max Glenister,

The DHL changed your shipment with another air waybill, and the new tracking number is <snip>.
Wish you would receive them soon.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me.

Best Regards.
Sales Department
www.Hopebuy.com

so I went to the DHL website and put the number in, the number checks out and the parcel is at my local DHL delivery place.

It was kinda odd that this was the first that I had heard of my tracking number, but the number I got works so I'm not complaining there.

You might find problems with DHL from/to some countries because DHL have been bought out by HDN (source)

gibberish

« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2010, 11:22:33 am »
please let us know if you end up paying any import tax from hopebuy :-)

Meneer Jansen

« Reply #43 on: May 31, 2010, 01:33:13 pm »
Man, if Linux is possible on this thing, I can smell a Letcoolity.org site coming. *Wishful thinking*
Absolutely. How did they manage to port Linux to the original Dingoo A320? Did some development software "leak" from the manufacturers site?
Finally got me a new Dingoo after I Kentucky ~~::fried::~~ the other one. Yippee! [edit] And lost it!

zear

« Reply #44 on: May 31, 2010, 02:57:03 pm »
Absolutely. How did they manage to port Linux to the original Dingoo A320? Did some development software "leak" from the manufacturers site?
Booboo's hard work on reverse-engineering the hardware.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 03:02:52 pm by zear »

1wiierdguy

« Reply #45 on: May 31, 2010, 08:50:55 pm »
 Mine was scanned as on Route to my city(Brisbane) last night at 7:18. Should get it today. Perfect timing as my Dingoo died last night.

thismeinteil

« Reply #46 on: May 31, 2010, 11:18:45 pm »
Mine was scanned as on Route to my city(Brisbane) last night at 7:18. Should get it today. Perfect timing as my Dingoo died last night.

sorry to hear about your Dingoo, man.  Hope the Letcool can hold you for awhile.  Also, can't wait to hear everyone's impressions about this device when they get them, since I'm planning on getting one in a month or so.

1wiierdguy

« Reply #47 on: June 01, 2010, 09:27:07 am »
 My Letcool has arrived. Heres a pic of it next to my (now dead) dingoo.

First impressions of the unit itself are good. The letcool is light but feels very sturdy and well built.  The larger size means it fits better in the hands with my fingers resting comfortably on the shoulder triggers. The shoulder triggers are clicky like the dingoos but the start/select and volume buttons are not. The main face buttons are very nice with a similar feel to the A320, they are a bit bigger though. The dpad looks bigger but a quick check with the ruler reveals it to be the same size. It feels a bit stiffer than the A320s but it could be just newer.
 The mini control pads feel very nice with a very solid d-pad that is deeply concaved in the middle holding the thunb very nicely.The face buttons are quite clicky and the shoulder buttons are soft rubber not hard plastic.
 All in all I'm very happy with the build of the unit itself. Will go now and test it and will update my findings later.

omgmog

• * Administrator
  • Doesn't sleep.
    • omgmog.net
« Reply #48 on: June 01, 2010, 09:38:38 am »
Looks about the same size as the DSi then, awesome.

Should be with mine tonight -- it's with the courier right now, but I'm at work until 5pm!

Will take lots of comparison photos when mine arrives..

The white version does look nice, I ordered a black one

SiENcE

• Crank Gaming (Dingux Apps)
« Reply #49 on: June 01, 2010, 11:13:46 am »
Please test :-)
-Resolution of the LCD?
-What's the TVOut resolution?
-How does the TVout work (menu, emu, movie)?
-Does it play DIVX/XVID avi?
-What's the max bandwidth (700~800kb/s)?
-What's the max. resolution of videos. 720p?

And please test some special roms with the SFC/Snes emulator.
-like Secret of Mana (highres rom)
-StarFox
-Dungeon Master
-aso.

How does the Emulators feel in comparsion to Dingoo?

thx.much.

1wiierdguy

« Reply #50 on: June 01, 2010, 11:23:14 am »
 O.k. the small amount of charge it came with has run out. Have put it on charge so I'll post about it a bit more.

The wall charging unit it comes with is exactly the same as the dingoo. Like the dingoo it can not be off while charging automatically coming on when plugged in. I did notice that unlike the Dingoo the battery is removable and easily replaceable.
 Unfortunatly the system is a mixed bag from my tests so far. Some of you may have read on other forums that when playing on the system controls(no mini pads) that the shoulder buttons do NOT act as L or R, unfortunatley I can confirm this is true. They operate as volume up and down with no button mapping available. Therefore for GBA the shoulder buttons are mapped to X and Y and for Snes there are NO shoulder buttons on the system.When pugging in the mini pads this is corrected for Snes but NOT for Gba with the buttons still being mapped to X and Y.And you would think with X bieng on the right side it would be mapped as R. It is NOT. Y is mapped to R.
 The screen on the unit is nice but there are NO options to change brightness. The level you are stuck on is not as bright as the Dingoo screen set to 3. I think the screen does not look as sharp as the Dingoos probably the same res stretched over a larger size.My unit also has 1 stuck pixel in the top right corner.
 For the Emus themselves, of what I've tested so far:

NES - Very nice as you would expect detected a little slowdown in some games that the Dingoo does not have.
 GB - Again very nice SMB Deluxe doesn't work like on Dingoo Native but others I tested ran  perfectly.
 GBA - A big step down from dingoo. Games are very choppy and with the button mapping issue. Not Good.
 Snes - NOT playable without mini pads. Game performance is hit and miss. Less sound issues than Dingoo native but feels slower.
 MD - A definate step up from Dingoo native, games ran much smoother and with less sound issues.

Initial findings are that two player MD is this units early strength. With any luck a firmware upgrade can fix some of the other issues. The manual gives instructions on how to do firmware upgrades so hopefully one will be released soon.

Not tested T.V. out yet, or movie playback. Will soon. The operating system is very similar in function to Dingoo as you can see in new pic.

Frank_fjs (OP)

• My simple Dingoo web site
« Reply #51 on: June 01, 2010, 11:36:43 am »
Yeah, the OS does look strikingly similar to the Dingoo. Not that that's a bad thing.

From what you described build quality sounds good which is important, I like that the battery is readily replaceable.

I guess what's going to make or break this little unit is the firmware. If it is updated on a regular basis & the minor issues are ironed out then this seems to be a wonderful system with a great potential. Additionally, hopefully the firmware can be hacked (or it is made open sourced as is advertised) then there would be no stopping this thing, imagine all the emulators you could add & how cool they would be with 2 player support.

Heck, even with the shortcomings you described it still seems like a kick ass unit even if for just playing nes and mega drive games two player - plus all the other stuff (mp3, videos, camera etc).

quartercast

« Reply #52 on: June 01, 2010, 12:14:04 pm »
I also got my letcool, here are my first impressions. The corners of the case are also a bit sharp - this could be solved by using some silicone covers. The controls are nice if a bit clicky. One problem I've had is it only allows you to use the flash memory OR the TF card, not both at the same time. You have to manually go in and change the system settings.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 12:19:32 pm by quartercast »

1wiierdguy

« Reply #53 on: June 01, 2010, 12:33:11 pm »
Please test :-)
-Resolution of the LCD?
-What's the TVOut resolution?
-How does the TVout work (menu, emu, movie)?
-Does it play DIVX/XVID avi?
-What's the max bandwidth (700~800kb/s)?
-What's the max. resolution of videos. 720p?

And please test some special roms with the SFC/Snes emulator.
-like Secret of Mana (highres rom)
-StarFox
-Dungeon Master
-aso.

How does the Emulators feel in comparsion to Dingoo?

thx.much.

Can't find resolution of the screen.
Tv shows as receiving Pal or Ntsc signal depending on what is selected. So output is 480 or 576.
Tv out looked nice, didn't use Tv out on Dingoo so cant give comparison.
Yeah tested some avis and they played. Manual gives Rmvb, dat, Rm , Mpeg1+2+3, flv, H263, Wmv Avi, Asf 3Gp and Vob as supported playback.
Not sure about bandwidth or max Res. Manual says it plays HD but  gives no max resolution.

Tested Secret of mana, plays nicely with no text issues and decent sound.
 Starfox will not run.
Don't have Dungeon master to test.

A couple of other things. The screen definatley has a sweet spot tilting the unit forward or back changes the clarity of the image. Not being as bright as Dingoo might not be Ideal for games but for movie playback it gives a very nice and natural looking picture. Add the bigger screen and I prefer this unit for movie playback. Oh and when charging through AC screen will NOT turn off regardless of setting. Charging through usb and it turns off in time with setting. Will be doing usb charging to save screen.

*Edit- One moe thing the MD is always 3 button even when using pad. NO six button setting.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 12:43:24 pm by 1wiierdguy »

10basetom

• tohodo.com
« Reply #54 on: June 01, 2010, 01:22:16 pm »

SiENcE

• Crank Gaming (Dingux Apps)
« Reply #55 on: June 01, 2010, 02:21:09 pm »
@1wiierdguy: thanks for answering my questions. I hope you can find out the resolution of the screen, i currently don't know how we can test this. Maybe displaying an pictures?

Whats installed on the system? Can you copy and ZIP the internal flash memory and give a link (megaupload or something)?

segafrog

« Reply #56 on: June 01, 2010, 11:00:11 pm »
that's a strange word to have printed on the console front.
i guess it's a permanent reminder for what to do when it overheats  ;D

well i was all set to buy the a320 but that nice larger screen is just what i want so now i gotta wait to see if and how well mame  runs on this letcool thingy so it's back to the waiting game for me.

rumours are if you put a letcool near to an a330 console a little hammer extends from the letcool and smashes the a330 to pieces

gibberish

« Reply #57 on: June 01, 2010, 11:38:00 pm »
well i was all set to buy the a320 but that nice larger screen is just what i want so now i gotta wait to see if and how well mame  runs on this letcool thingy so it's back to the waiting game for me.

you'll be waiting a long time. first someone needs to get linux/gmenu2x running on it. might not even ever happen.

omgmog

• * Administrator
  • Doesn't sleep.
    • omgmog.net
« Reply #58 on: June 01, 2010, 11:54:45 pm »
I'm collecting information/reviewing the Letcool in my thread here - http://boards.dingoonity.org/other-game-systems/the-letcool-n350jp-an-overview-(and-pre-review!)/

The topic is locked to discussion, but you can talk about it in this thread.

Currently in the process of dumping the Letcool nand. As it's a SPMP8K device, there are already tools around to dump the nand, and as you will read in my posts, there exists software that is compatible with it.

Boot process uses Redboot, and the OS on the device is eCos

Harteex

• * Administrator
    • Harteex Productions
« Reply #59 on: June 02, 2010, 12:41:16 am »

you'll be waiting a long time. first someone needs to get linux/gmenu2x running on it. might not even ever happen.

Mame runs on Dingoo native OS, so I don't see why it couldn't run on this native OS.

Post a new topic
Post a new topic