Author Topic: Letcool Gamestation  (Read 173792 times)

Frank_fjs (OP)

• My simple Dingoo web site
Letcool Gamestation
« on: May 18, 2010, 04:02:47 pm »
Hi all,

Anyone have one of these?

http://dsdatabase.org/entry.php/176-Review-for-Letcool-handheld-console <- Review + more info

http://www.taobaodao.com/goods-3342.html <- site selling the thing

I'm a proud A320 owner and for the price can deal with its shortcomings. The A330 doesn't seem improved enough for the extra $$$ and it seems like most of the existing problems with the A320 will be present in the A330. No official, regular firmware updates. Not quite there yet emulation. Lack of 2 player support.

I don't know, I think the Dingoo manufacturers have created something wonderful, it's just a shame that they didn't back it up with more support and software updates. In my opinion the A320 is about 75% - 85% there, they just needed to go the extra mile to finish it off.

Anyhow, this Letcool device, on the surface, appears to be the answer - the Dingoo A320 as it should have been. What do you guys think?

« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 02:50:46 pm by Frank_fjs »

10basetom

• tohodo.com
Re: Letcool Gamestation
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 06:16:34 pm »
I've been eyeing this also. If you do pull the trigger to get one, I'd love to see how it compares to the A320.

Some more info on this from another thread:

http://www.gp32x.com/board/index.php?/topic/53463-letcool-n350jp/
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 06:22:51 pm by 10basetom »

ricsi

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 07:03:36 pm »
I'm a proud A320 owner and for the price can deal with its shortcomings. The A330 doesn't seem improved enough for the extra $$$ and it seems like most of the existing problems with the A320 will be present in the A330. No official, regular firmware updates. Not quite there yet emulation. Lack of 2 player support.

It definitely looks interesting, and I was also thinking of getting one.
(instead I bought an Eken M001 android pad ...)

I highly doubt that there will be firmware upgrades for this!
Also no SDK or open source OS. And it supports less emulators than the dingoo.
Nevertheless seems very interesting.

If you buy it, please review it here.

Harteex

• * Administrator
    • Harteex Productions
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2010, 11:26:59 pm »
Omgmog has ordered one, so I guess he'll do a review of some sort.

Bouvrie

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2010, 11:28:44 pm »
Are those hardware volume keys/sliders? The lack thereof is one of the things that nagged me about the Dingoo (especially with Dingux).
Write/save problems? Segmentation faults? Black screens? Read the Troubleshooting and FAQ guide first to fix your issues! :)
SD Card readonly/corruption issues? Chkdisk /F and steer clear from DMenu: use GMenu instead!

flatmush

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2010, 11:46:44 pm »
Apparently it has a sunplus8000 chipset which does contain a 3d accelerator which would make this an awesome machine, however the lack of any kind of SDK or information kinda makes it useless since I doubt much chinese programming can make proper use of 3d accel.

omgmog

• * Administrator
  • Doesn't sleep.
    • omgmog.net
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2010, 02:02:10 am »
Yep, ordered mine from Hopebuy -- awaiting them to get back to me for Paypal payment, but hopefully that'll happen soon!

It looks like a potentially good device. Found the review mentioned in the original post already, but that's about the only review out there for it. No screenshots/photos of the OS anywhere, but according to the sales packaging it'll be some PSP-style knock off, possibly like the native Dingoo OS.

I'm not expecting the device to be an open system, but if it's no good it'll be something to pass over to my nephews to play with once I'm done with a teardown/review!
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 02:04:26 am by omgmog »

Orion4874

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2010, 03:51:53 am »
I know I read somewhere that this does or can do 64bit emulation. Anyone else come across that?

Edit: Here it is  http://mp4nation.net/blog/2008/08/sunplus-8000-media-chip-tri-core-monster-with-hd-video-playback-support/

Not specifically about this handheld but the Sunplus 8000 chipset.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 03:57:30 am by Orion4874 »

Frank_fjs (OP)

• My simple Dingoo web site
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2010, 06:11:48 am »
Yep, ordered mine from Hopebuy -- awaiting them to get back to me for Paypal payment, but hopefully that'll happen soon!

Great, please keep us posted.

To me, I would speculate that the makers of this thing saw the Dingoo scene, listened to feedback and made their own device based on a Dingoo but with improvements made according to what people were saying about their A320's. Two player support, shoulder buttons in the right place, camera is a bit of a wank feature but hey, why not, hardware volume buttons, wrist strap, micro SD, headphone jack on the bottom, replaceable battery etc.

The Dingoo team have created a nice market, they just didn't embrace it well enough (even with the A330 no-one really knows what's going on, are they released yet, are the ones available now fakes or inferior, who the hell is manufacturing them and are they the 'real' Dingoo company or a bootleg company - it does my head in, God who knows.

I really hope the software doesn't let it down, I am really liking the look of it. Pity about the lack of arcade emulators but you never know, that may change... Eagerly awaiting your review omgmog. :)

SiENcE

• Crank Gaming (Dingux Apps)
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2010, 10:29:08 am »

I'm not expecting the device to be an open system, but if it's no good it'll be something to pass over to my nephews to play with once I'm done with a teardown/review!

Really cool. A Review like you did for the a330 would be great. Please open it and make some pictures. Also a backup of the included Apps + OS (firmware) would be nice.

mrkingoo

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2010, 10:50:26 am »
Looks interesting. With the extra control pads and TV-out it would be nice if SNES, Genesis emulation is much better than the Dingoo native emulators

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2010, 01:28:31 pm »
Could be cool.

Either way, those controllers are adorable. :-*

Meneer Jansen

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2010, 02:07:20 pm »
If something like Dingux can be installed on this thing I'll most definitely buy one for those 92 dollars! (which is not even a fist full)  :P

P.S. The reviewer from the link in the top post says the Letcool has "a vibrant development scene ? thanks to its open source nature". How's that possible if no-one has it yet? Is this vaporware people?
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 02:20:54 pm by Meneer Jansen »
Finally got me a new Dingoo after I Kentucky ~~::fried::~~ the other one. Yippee! [edit] And lost it!

mortys

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2010, 02:39:23 pm »
As said Science, it could be cool is to upload the file app and maybe  try to launch a dingoo ap on it (I'm always dreaming that chinese game station use the same kind of firmware).

10basetom

• tohodo.com
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2010, 03:04:26 pm »
Would it be possible for the community to build a homebrew SDK for the Sunplus 8000? I think given enough time and community buildup, pretty much anything's possible. I remember the Dingoo homebrew community started out really slowly, and then DINGUX was born, which kicked homebrew development into overgear.

Some more info on the Sunplus 8000:
http://mp4nation.net/blog/2008/08/sunplus-8000-media-chip-tri-core-monster-with-hd-video-playback-support/

The mp4nation community is starting to pick and probe the Sunplus8000:
http://www.mp4nation.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=13607
http://mp4nation.net/blog/2010/03/doom-ported-to-cheap-psp-clone/

In any case, can't wait for the review!

SiENcE

« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2010, 10:00:20 am »
Oh my, this handheld looks very big in comparsion with a A330.

But ok, as far as i know it has an 3,5" 800x480 display.

Here is the company website with specs and internals: http://www.letcool.net/display/N350JP-B.shtml
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 10:01:55 am by SiENcE »

ricsi

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2010, 10:27:29 am »

Do you have also the letcool (eg did you make the picture?)

If yes could you write a small review about the letcool.
Seems to be really an interesting device, but I fear that the SW is extremely buggy, and that there is no public info/SDK available.

thanx in advance

eule

• * Former Staff
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2010, 11:52:39 am »
http://www.letcool.net/images/attachments/image/201004/150kaq9r99ol1271992755892.jpg
 ;D
-e- oops, the forum doesn?t scale images?
Interesting device, but i don?t think it has a 800x480 screen, as that would be widescreen (WVGA). I?d like 640x480, but that?s a bit unlikely i guess.  :D
I wonder what the battery life is like, the chip is huge, and the supposed 1050mah battery tiny!
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 12:03:28 pm by eule »

joanilson41

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2010, 01:06:01 pm »
well, it's look really good, with this joysticks it become interesting....
the "consoles" with Sunplus 8000 are called spmp8000, because there are almost the same thing, just change the design and menu pictures...
i have a JXD V3, and i say that Sunplus 8000 is a great hardware, but there's bad firmwares and no development tools, the emulators are not bad, but the button mapping turn some games unplayable...

AleMaxx is the guy in MP4Nation that did the working Doom version, with no sound and no ingame options yet, but working with really nice graphics! there are some ppl interested in doing anything, but few experienced programmers in SPMP8000 scene, that's why it's not great by now, but if more hackers and programmers buy these pmp's, so we can have more stuff...

SiENcE

« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2010, 10:36:36 pm »

Do you have also the letcool (eg did you make the picture?)

If yes could you write a small review about the letcool.
Seems to be really an interesting device, but I fear that the SW is extremely buggy, and that there is no public info/SDK available.

thanx in advance

Ah nono, i found this on web.

Post a new topic