• HomeBoards
  • RulesRules
  • HelpHelp
  • WikiWiki
  • Donate

Author Topic: ADDED emulator for SUNPLUS SPMP8000 devices :)  (Read 7874 times)

Mr.Multiplatform (OP)

• Help Spread the Message
ADDED emulator for SUNPLUS SPMP8000 devices :)
« on: February 24, 2014, 02:12:18 pm »
hey guys, been trawling through the interent and came across something of relative interest..
apologies if this has already been adressed, but as an owner of the letcool, and knowing of its abilities
to one day have alot more unlocked potential, im sure you will agree any info on its firmware is appreciated ;)

anyway guys!
check out this link

http://dingoowip.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/better-spmp8000-homebrewing-and-pc.html

<a href="https://web.archive.org/web/20210422002245/https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nfvqzPyt80" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nfvqzPyt80</a>
<a href="https://web.archive.org/web/20210422002245/https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FreyJaBVFmA" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FreyJaBVFmA</a>

not had chance to test this out myself as of yet, since my dell laptop refuses now to boot windows and instead just beeps repetitively at me, theres not much i can do atm so i will leave this one to you guys!

let me know if anyone gets this running on the letcool! thanks :)
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 10:23:35 am by Mr.Multiplatform »
===My Obscurities===
Letcool N350JP  Custom Defender FW
JXD s7800B 1.6 Webclaws Awesomeness
===============

MightyJAK

• My tumblr
Re: Firmware Redisgn and ADDED emulator for SUNPLUS SPMP8000 devices :)
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 05:23:31 am »
I tried a few games, my results below. Keep in mind I've never owned a PCE so my comparisions are based on my experience with other emulators, like Hugo and Temper.

Bonk's Adventure (USA).pce
Besides Bonk himself and a few other sprites, all the graphics are completely garbled. Unplayable.

Gradius (Japan).pce
No sound! Runs perfect, otherwise.

lady_sword_en.pce (IPS patched English translation of Lady Sword)
Only displays a dialog box with a constant stream of gibberish.

Maison Ikkoku (Japan) [En by Dave Shadoff+Filler v1.01].pce
Sound problem, continuously plays the first note of the current tune. Gameplay seems fine otherwise.

Parodius da! - Shinwa Kara Owarai he (Japan).pce
Doesn't load, displays black screen

Salamander (Japan).pce
Actually plays a tiny bit fast I think. A few glitches on the edges of larger moving objects (might have been present on the original console).

About the emulator itself: it does not let you map the shoulder buttons on the Letcool, so if you've mapped all of the regular buttons, you'll only be able to map 2 of the 3 extra buttons. If you plug in the wired controllers you can map the shoulder buttons, but they auto-repeat with 0 delay, so save the L or R button for the last button you map.

The mapper only maps to 1 controller when using the wired controllers, so no multiplayer action.  :'(  It would also be nice if you could map "turbo" buttons.

Games seem to run smoothly regardless of wether or not stretched-fullscreen is selected, and no graphic glitches or fps hiccups when switching screen modes. However, the emulation speeds up dramatically when you turn the sound off (even for the sound-less Gradius  ???).

No problems using video-out, highly recommended for TV play. In fact, the way the title screen displays shows that rather than mirroring its regular display for TV-out, the Letcool switches to a much higher resolution. I'll upload a video or some pictures later to show what I mean. I wonder if other SPMP8k devices do this...
My machines:
GBC,GBA,GBA SP,NDS,NGPC,Panasonic FZ-10 3DO,NES,Sega Nomad,Sega CDX w/Power Base Converter,PS1,PS2,PS3,Saturn,Dreamcast,PC (Win 98, XP, 7),Dingoo A320,Dingoo A330,Gemei A330,LetCool N350JP,PAP-GAMETA,GCW-Zero SE,Kyocera Rise,2DS,GP2X-F100,GPD G7,JXD 100,JXD A1000,JXD A3300,JXD F3000,JXD V5000,JXD S7300B,Hyperkin SupaBoy

Currently playing: Theatrhythm Final Fantasy Curtain Call (2DS)

Mr.Multiplatform (OP)

• Help Spread the Message
Re: Firmware Redisgn and ADDED emulator for SUNPLUS SPMP8000 devices :)
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2014, 10:21:51 am »
I tried a few games, my results below. Keep in mind I've never owned a PCE so my comparisions are based on my experience with other emulators, like Hugo and Temper.

Bonk's Adventure (USA).pce
Besides Bonk himself and a few other sprites, all the graphics are completely garbled. Unplayable.

Gradius (Japan).pce
No sound! Runs perfect, otherwise.

lady_sword_en.pce (IPS patched English translation of Lady Sword)
Only displays a dialog box with a constant stream of gibberish.

Maison Ikkoku (Japan) [En by Dave Shadoff+Filler v1.01].pce
Sound problem, continuously plays the first note of the current tune. Gameplay seems fine otherwise.

Parodius da! - Shinwa Kara Owarai he (Japan).pce
Doesn't load, displays black screen

Salamander (Japan).pce
Actually plays a tiny bit fast I think. A few glitches on the edges of larger moving objects (might have been present on the original console).

About the emulator itself: it does not let you map the shoulder buttons on the Letcool, so if you've mapped all of the regular buttons, you'll only be able to map 2 of the 3 extra buttons. If you plug in the wired controllers you can map the shoulder buttons, but they auto-repeat with 0 delay, so save the L or R button for the last button you map.

The mapper only maps to 1 controller when using the wired controllers, so no multiplayer action.  :'(  It would also be nice if you could map "turbo" buttons.

Games seem to run smoothly regardless of wether or not stretched-fullscreen is selected, and no graphic glitches or fps hiccups when switching screen modes. However, the emulation speeds up dramatically when you turn the sound off (even for the sound-less Gradius  ???).

No problems using video-out, highly recommended for TV play. In fact, the way the title screen displays shows that rather than mirroring its regular display for TV-out, the Letcool switches to a much higher resolution. I'll upload a video or some pictures later to show what I mean. I wonder if other SPMP8k devices do this...

ah, mighty shame about the varying errors with button mapping and gameplay glitches, these errors could be either native to the letcool, conflicting with the firmware maybe, or it could be the roms themselves? but im sure youve tested them elsewhere.

very interesting about the switch to hi res instead of mirroring it like you said, look forward to seeing the pictures!
keep me updated pal ;)
===My Obscurities===
Letcool N350JP  Custom Defender FW
JXD s7800B 1.6 Webclaws Awesomeness
===============

MightyJAK

• My tumblr
ADDED emulator for SUNPLUS SPMP8000 devices :)
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 07:38:57 am »
ah, mighty shame about the varying errors with button mapping and gameplay glitches, these errors could be either native to the letcool, conflicting with the firmware maybe, or it could be the roms themselves? but im sure youve tested them elsewhere.

I think it's an issue with compatiblity to the LetCool. Uli created the API used to make this port of TGEmu with the intention that programs would "(hopefully) run on any SPMP8k device", regardless of model or firmware. But it seems he only tested it on a JXD A1000 and 100, so he may have not accounted for all the possible hardware differences. The videos posted by Aleksandr Barybin show games running on the EXEQ Alpha (seems to be a Russian rebrand of the JXD 300, judging by the GUI and shape of the case). So I'm guessing TGEmu has the highest compatibility rate with JXD's SPMP8k devices.

The few other games I've tested:

Neutopia (USA).pce
Devil's Crush - Naxat Pinball (USA).pce
Bomberman '94 (Japan).pce
All show black screen when I tried to load.

Bonk III - Bonk's Big Adventure (USA).pce
Like Bonk 1, sprites look okay while other graphics are all messed up.

Strip Fighter II (Japan).pce
Same as Bonks. I thought it might still be playable as you really just need to see the sprites in a 1on1 fighter, but a few seconds into a bout the game freezes and all graphics (including sprites) get scrambled. If you don't exit the emu it will even scramble the GUI and require a press of the reset button.

A file called stderr.txt was created in the directory tgemu-r163.bin sits in, here are its contents:

Code: [Select]
emuIfGraphInit (0045f3bc) returns 00000000
Framebuffer 01ed4380, shadow buffer 01e1cb30
Width 320, Height 240
LCD format 00000000
ARM frequency 297000000
system ID 6
emuIfSoundInit returns 0, sp.rate 44010
key 0 scancode 00080000
key 1 scancode 00040000
key 2 scancode 00020000
key 3 scancode 00010000
key 4 scancode 00008000
key 5 scancode 00800000
key 6 scancode 00004000
key 7 scancode 00400000
key 8 scancode 00002000
key 9 scancode 00001000
key 10 scancode 00200000
key 11 scancode 00100000
key 12 scancode 00300000
key 13 scancode 00000000
key 14 scancode 00000000
key 15 scancode 00000000
key 16 scancode 00000000
key 17 scancode 00000000
key 18 scancode 00000000
key 19 scancode 00000000
loading ROM /fat20a2/hda2/GAME/PCE/Strip Fighter II (Japan).pce
system_init
system_reset
snd.enabled 1, buffer size 733

Notice the scancodes for keys 13-19 are 00000000. If these are for a Player 2 controller and the scancodes for the LetCool's 2nd wired controller are known, perhaps this file could be manually edited to allow 2-player gaming on this emu...

Here's the video you were waiting for:

<a href="https://web.archive.org/web/20210422002245/https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpM_WQWQlyA" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpM_WQWQlyA</a>

Since most TG16 games only use 256?239 resolution, the only place the different resolution can be noticed is in the opening menus. If there's any HuCard games with 512?224 resolution that work on this emu, I'll give them a try and report the difference between the different displays.

Going a bit off-topic here, but thinking about this makes me wonder of the possibility of a new SNES emulator that can take advantage of TV-out's higher resolution. The SNES emulator built into the firmware unfortunatly just mirrors what would be displayed on the LetCool's screen when using TV-out, so high-res games like Secret of Mana and Dark Law: Meaning of Death still have slightly garbled text when viewed on TV.

Tried a few other homebrew to see if they are improved with TV-out. spmp8k-quake_beta1 looks GREAT, although it can crash sometimes. spmp8k-Heretic also benefits a bit from the higher resolution, but the graphics jitter around a bit whenever you move.

One aspect where the difference in resolution with TV-out is definately noticible is in the Flash player. Oh, you didn't know the LetCool could play flash? Neither did I. It's not mentioned on the box, in the instruction book, or any online reviews or promotional materials that I've seen. It was just recently that I saw a video review of the JXD 300 on YouTube that mention that device could play flash, and that got me to thinking "Hmm, the LetCool is also an SPMP8k device, I wonder if it also has a flash player"? So I made a folder called "Flash", dumped some .swf files in it, and lo and behold (some of them) were playable!  :o  The LetCool's SWF player is a bit better than the one on the JXD 3000 / EGP 1000. There's no on-screen pointer or mouse emulation, you can only use buttons to move among clickable targets and select them (control is slightly better with the wired controller, the LetCool's controls sometimes miss some targets for some reason). So it's really only playable with CYOA/VN-style games, or flash movies that require pressing a start button to begin.

P.S. You might want to remove "Firmware Redisgn" from this thread's title, as there' been no mention of redesigned firmware here or the linked blog, it is a bit misleading.
My machines:
GBC,GBA,GBA SP,NDS,NGPC,Panasonic FZ-10 3DO,NES,Sega Nomad,Sega CDX w/Power Base Converter,PS1,PS2,PS3,Saturn,Dreamcast,PC (Win 98, XP, 7),Dingoo A320,Dingoo A330,Gemei A330,LetCool N350JP,PAP-GAMETA,GCW-Zero SE,Kyocera Rise,2DS,GP2X-F100,GPD G7,JXD 100,JXD A1000,JXD A3300,JXD F3000,JXD V5000,JXD S7300B,Hyperkin SupaBoy

Currently playing: Theatrhythm Final Fantasy Curtain Call (2DS)

Girl

Re: ADDED emulator for SUNPLUS SPMP8000 devices :)
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2014, 03:49:29 am »
Here's the video you were waiting for:

thank you for making that, but yes the guinea pig was the star of the video =^)

anyways was there ever a fully working TG-16 emulator for the LetCool ? or just this weird one
i'm cheating on my PSPs