Author Topic: 9003PSP Sunplus game player  (Read 15529 times)

crzune (OP)

9003PSP Sunplus game player
« on: March 23, 2011, 08:10:31 pm »
Lets get into it, The player came in a box that looked like a psp's, it came with earphones, av-out cable, earphones, a disc with test files, a usb cable, and a manual which is sort of useful. The build quality wasn't bad it didnt feel too cheap but solid buttons need to be a bit stiffer.

The quality of the video is quite excellent, I couldn't see a single frame skipped even in TV-OUT mode. The camera is much better in daylight but otherwise acceptable, It also has a a webcam function so when you connect to a computer you can use as one.

The Music quality great and the loud speaker is very loud, with options such as: album. artist, genre, all tracks etc. you can also create playlist and play recorded files.

It also has a ebook function which allows you to read text files and is nice on the large screen. The picture allows you to browse photos and images in a sequence if preferred(slide show options).  It also has extra like themes, calendar, stopwatch, calculator.

Now the part everyone has been waiting for the emulation. I wanted a device that could play GBA.GBC/SNES/NES. The nes emulation is good but sometimes too fast, the gameboy color games were okay but sometimes the sound was a bit choppy, the gameboy advanced games were great and I don't think i encounter a problem with them however, the R and L were remapped to square and triangle and snes can a bit tricky with the controls. Foretunetly, it has emulator options(change button maps, screen size, save game, reset)

So overall I couldn't be happier If you want a portable emulator and are on a budget I advise you to get this. I rate is 8/10
Oh yeah! and the analog stick is very useful for some games.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 10:30:32 pm by crzune »

Minexew

Re: 9003PSP Sunplus game player
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 08:53:44 pm »
Woot! I bet everyone has been expecting another epic fail handheld, while it actually looks very usable. Actually better than the GA330 based on the reviews so far. Is it really this one - http://brandsdragon.com/products/product_31996.htm ? for $35? Now that's something really worth considering...
Also, thanks for the review! 10/10 :D

crzune (OP)

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 09:04:17 pm »
Yes it is my friend, I am so surprised i didnt expect to be this good for such a cheap price I was expecting a just another sunplus player which is a hit or miss on games but I am really glad i got this

Minexew

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 09:25:48 pm »
Congratulations on that  ;D
May I have one more question? That BrandsDragon e-shop, is it reliable, how much is the shipping and so on? I see they accept PayPal and ship to Europe, but what I'm more interested in is your personal opinion. I thought I'd buy the GA330 once a Linux-based OS for it is ready but that doesn't seem to happen any time soon unfortunately. On the contrary this little thing looks just awesome for its price :)
(and based on my observations, it seems not that hard to do some minor FW modifications once you get the device into flash mode)

bapts

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 10:17:11 pm »
Thanks for the review, but can you give more details about snes and MD emulation ?

maybe post a video ?

thanks again

crzune (OP)

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 10:27:42 pm »
The site is ok in my opinion but they don't email when your order has been shipped they notify you on the website when there is an update on the order. The shipping wasn't that expensive either about 20 dollars and it came within 4 working days however, the prices depend on weight. You can check without having to sign up or anything at the checkout

xiongxioi

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2011, 12:05:45 am »
does it have l and r buttons?
I can't see any from that picture.

chevette

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2011, 01:00:19 am »

crzune (OP)

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2011, 06:52:45 am »
xiongxioi no it does R and L buttons but it gives the option to map the buttons to your choice. I never knew DX was selling :o but even if i knew i wouldn't buy it from them since their shipping time is random(can take really long sometimes). and I really wish I could do a video review but I don't have a camera.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 06:58:41 am by crzune »

xiongxioi

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2011, 12:56:52 pm »
I see crzune. that seems really odd to me.
I wonder what is wrong with those Chinese pmp companies.
why do they keep releasing suffs that are really terriblely flawed.
this unit seems really decent, good apeal, button mapping fuction, and a reasonable price.
why no shoulder buttons. can't imagine what they were thinking in their mind.
perhaps having all of these will make the console resemble a decent handheld gadget, and that is what they are after.

you can always do a review using pictures and word describitions. that to me is way better than video review.

crzune (OP)

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2011, 02:41:47 pm »
I know If they just added the R and L buttons then it would be complete honestly, this is the first sunplus device I have seen with the option to remap buttons... if just added R and L     X-d

alemaxx

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2011, 09:21:47 pm »
Nice features, could you try to dump the firmware using frmorp?

http://pspkox.wikia.com/wiki/FRMorp_Tutorial
http://openschemes.com/2010/02/08/spmp8k-frmorp-usb-img-dumper/

Thanks and have fun with your device!

crzune (OP)

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2011, 12:10:22 am »
Sorry mate I got linux on my computer

alemaxx

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2011, 08:08:47 am »
Me too, so it should be even easier since you don't have to install the libusb driver (but you need gcc and libusb devel package installed).

Xeon

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2011, 10:09:52 am »
Hi, I have the exact same player with a different casing and shoulder buttons (completely rips off a PSP). This isnt a Sunplus based player but rather an Actions based (I believe you can see this on the Information section under the Advanced settings).

Here are the quirks with the one I have:

MD games are much more sluggish than SNES games.
None of the emulators run in full speed (but are completely playable anyway, except MD)
NES emu has slightly higher compatibility (at least you can now play CV3 and Punch Out)
I wasnt able to alter my control settings although the manual states that you can, this means Im unable to use the R button because it is mapped to return to menu.
Holding L button slows down emulation.
To play GB (mono) games, they have to be renamed to use .gbc extension.
Button mapping isnt horrible but tries to resemble a PSP (GBA LR buttons as face buttons, and are swapped)

The movie and music player is actually pretty good and I thought the SRS option was excellent.

xiongxioi

« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2011, 09:10:23 pm »
OMG, I can't believe what I saw.
I just did a bit research on this so-called psp9003.
It seemed to came from a differnt firm called Ubor in China.
It is rebranded to psp9003.

I know a bit of Ubor, it is famous for its cheap knockoff of Nintendo famicon.
They produce their own cartridges, include some really horrifying original games.

I thought it was bankrupted a long time ago, now seems i was wrong. 
http://www.zssubor.com/
here is their offical website, couldn't find anything useful.

Just ordered one from dealextreme, hope it will arrive in 2 weeks.

flatmush

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2011, 03:14:09 pm »
I would go with what Xeon said about it being an Actions (MIPS based) chipset, I've heard this in other places and it's usually Actions systems which have the USB webcam feature (never seen it on other players). I had a crack with the actions chipset but it looks like a pain to get anything running on.

alemaxx

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2011, 05:57:04 pm »
One way to find out whats hiding under the surface is to check the PID, its 0x4f1 for sunplus if I'm not mistaken. The other way would be to open it up and read whats printed on the chip.  :o

schanall

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2013, 11:58:55 am »
Hi,

I wanted a really cheap game player to carry around and don't have to worry about it when it's lost.

I googled this device  http://www.everbuying.com/product41483.html and thought it is the same as the device in this thread. But all links are gone so I can't compare. Are they the same?

And I also think the device has no shoulder buttons, but I can't tell exactly.

bamboori

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2013, 01:12:00 pm »
i dont know... what i can tell you though is that it really has no shoulder buttons; i once owned this device (until it bricked <.<)
i can also tell you that if you dont want to buy it for the looks, get a cheaper psp-looking one. they have shoulder buttons ;D
Handhelds:
Powkiddy V90, FC3000, X2, LDK vertical, PMP IV, RS-90...

Post a new topic