Author Topic: RetroMini replacement screen?  (Read 813 times)

v47 (OP)

RetroMini replacement screen?
« on: August 13, 2018, 01:39:34 pm »
Ordered another one off ebay, and the screen is broken, but pretty sure the unit itself is fine, I can hear the sounds, and sometimes a bit of stuff is visible. Any ideas whether I should try to order a new screen (about $15) and try to replace it? I mean, does it look like only the screen is faulty, or maybe it's something else as well? Pretty sure someone has seen a similar problem happening before.

bamboori

Re: RetroMini replacement screen?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2018, 11:05:19 pm »
you could also try opening the thing up and fiddling with the ribbon cable. i found mine to be quite finicky and right now i have a piece of cardboard pressing down on it so i get an image.

v47 (OP)

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2018, 12:00:27 pm »
Will try to take it apart and wiggle things around, thanks.

v47 (OP)

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2019, 05:23:23 pm »
Actually, just gave the unit a few gentle taps and the problem went away completely, but thanks anyway.

VanZan

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2019, 05:34:11 pm »
These are great fun at the moment but the quality control on the damn things is abysmal.

davidgilmour

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2019, 05:59:28 pm »
These are great fun at the moment but the quality control on the damn things is abysmal.

How can you expect a
SoC with ram and rom
LCD screen
Buttons
D-pad
Housing
All put together
Shipped to anywhere in the world

For just $28

There is not a single sime left for QC!

romanaOne

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2019, 01:28:08 am »
I just replaced a screen on a Retromini with a 15 USD GBA Micro screen from eBay.  The original screen was never great: the picture would randomly turn to mush or vertical bars. After a while, the screen just stayed messed up all the time. Anyway, the wide cable went into place no problem, but it was VERY difficult to seat the smaller ribbon cable properly: the plastic latch does not clamp down on the cable because the replacement screen's cable is slightly thinner than the one on the original (failed) screen. I got it to work by putting a very small piece of cellotape on top of the cable  which made it fat enough for the little plastic clamp to grab.

The new screen is also slightly thinner and fits better in the Retromini, even with some double-sided tape added. The original was in so tightly I'm afraid that might be why it failed.  The new one is snug, but there is no pressure on it.

ace9094

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2019, 10:24:45 pm »
The quality control on the damn things is abysmal.

Agreed, the micro usb port on mine is like a loose tooth  ;D ;D ;D
Dingoo A320, GCW0, RS-97 x2, Revo-K101, RS-90, PSP, GameGadget, New 3DS 128GB, PS Vita 200GB, RS-45, Gamebox Advance and a few other obscure devices

davidgilmour

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2019, 11:11:43 pm »
The quality control on the damn things is abysmal.

Agreed, the micro usb port on mine is like a loose tooth  ;D ;D ;D
I bought a $2 magnetic usb cable on aliexpress to solve this.

Post a new topic