Author Topic: OpenDingux update 2020.01.06  (Read 22595 times)

pcercuei (OP)

• My devblog
OpenDingux update 2020.01.06
« on: January 07, 2020, 03:11:53 am »
Info and links at https://zcrc.me/retromini/2020/01/07/opendingux-release-20200106.html

As usual, comments and feedback appreciated.

LauweLoempia

Re: OpenDingux update 2020.01.06
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2020, 08:16:58 am »
Wow, I'll try this the moment I get home Thank you for all your hard work on this!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2020, 02:11:36 pm »
thank you very much  ;D

Tonic

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2020, 03:37:42 pm »
Amazing job! Thank you!

Can I upgrade from release 2019.05.17? Should I upgrade to 2019.06.01 first?

pcercuei (OP)

• My devblog
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2020, 03:42:34 pm »
Can I upgrade from release 2019.05.17? Should I upgrade to 2019.06.01 first?
You should be able to upgrade from 2019.05.17 too.

fosamax

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2020, 04:37:46 pm »
Sadly mine suffered from charging troubles, lines on screen and finally died when trying to fix it...

LauweLoempia

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2020, 01:10:40 am »
OK, flashed succesfully and after some playtime no crashes! However I did run into the following problems:
- Handy Temper does not seem to work, tried both from internal memory as microSD (fresh download from gameblabla)
- I was also unable to use the USB (both ethernet and mass storage). I used macOS and filezilla.
Does this problem also occur for other users?

EDIT: I mixed up the emulator names  :'( Handy works just fine but Temper does not. My apologies for the confusion.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 09:47:59 am by LauweLoempia »

pcercuei (OP)

• My devblog
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2020, 02:42:06 am »
- Handy does not seem to work, tried both from internal memory as microSD (fresh download from gameblabla)
Gameblabla compiles his apps statically with his own toolchain for bogus reasons even though I told him repeatedly that all his apps will likely break on updates. I guess you'll have to wait until he recompiles everything.

- I was also unable to use the USB (both ethernet and mass storage). I used macOS and filezilla.
FTP (with FileZilla) is gone. On OSX, you should be able to transfer files in mass storage mode with Android's Filetransfer: https://www.android.com/filetransfer/

gameblabla

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2020, 07:08:55 am »
Gameblabla compiles his apps statically with his own toolchain for bogus reasons even though I told him repeatedly that all his apps will likely break on updates. I guess you'll have to wait until he recompiles everything.
I'll look into it and see what's wrong with it and report back. I believe it's unrelated to it being statically built. (it was leaking memory before and steward's apps, despite being built with the shared toolchain, are no longer working either so it's jumping the guns on your part to claim that's the issue unless you did a major change to the kernel).
⚠ WARNING ⚠
If you are using any of my forks, emulators or ports, you are being influenced by propaganda !

LauweLoempia

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2020, 08:08:17 am »
FTP (with FileZilla) is gone. On OSX, you should be able to transfer files in mass storage mode with Android's Filetransfer: https://www.android.com/filetransfer/

Thank you for confirming. I'll try with Android Filetransfer.

I'll look into it and see what's wrong with it and report back. I believe it's unrelated to it being statically built. (it was leaking memory before and steward's apps, despite being built with the shared toolchain, are no longer working either so it's jumping the guns on your part to claim that's the issue unless you did a major change to the kernel).

Thank you for looking into it. Which apps of steward's are you referring to? I tested the emulators included in the OpenDingux release and yours and all except for temper seem to work...

gameblabla

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2020, 09:40:05 am »
I have taken a look at Handy and the stable version was working fine on my unit...
No idea why it would crash because it wasn't crashing on my unit.

I still issued some other fixes as well as a fix for Zendocan's laugh to Handy though so feel free to try the new build.

Thank you for looking into it. Which apps of steward's are you referring to? I tested the emulators included in the OpenDingux release and yours and all except for temper seem to work...
Temper also does not work ? Or was it just Handy ?

I was talking about PocketSNES and PCSX4ALL btw. Steward later removed the releases and said that he should have not bothered with those. lol...
⚠ WARNING ⚠
If you are using any of my forks, emulators or ports, you are being influenced by propaganda !

LauweLoempia

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2020, 09:46:04 am »
Temper also does not work ? Or was it just Handy ?

I was talking about PocketSNES and PCSX4ALL btw. Steward later removed the releases and said that he should have not bothered with those. lol...

Oh, sorry, I mixed up the names of the emulators!!! Temper did not function, Handy worked just fine :-P
Sorry for the confusion, I'll also edit my original post.

gameblabla

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2020, 10:25:08 am »
Oh, sorry, I mixed up the names of the emulators!!! Temper did not function, Handy worked just fine :-P
Hmm, haven't tried the old Temper OPK but i recompiled it again and it still works fine and Supergrafx games are running smoothly now too.
Were you trying to play CD games ? If so which one ?

I would suggest that you try downloading the new OPK from my website as always as i recompiled it and reprofiled it.
⚠ WARNING ⚠

LauweLoempia

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2020, 10:31:15 am »
Hmm, haven't tried the old Temper OPK but i recompiled it again and it still works fine and Supergrafx games are running smoothly now too.
Were you trying to play CD games ? If so which one ?

I would suggest that you try downloading the new OPK from my website as always as i recompiled it and reprofiled it.
Thanks for checking and recompiling! I'll check tonight after work (UTC/GMT+1h)

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

lemmywinks

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2020, 08:22:36 pm »
Nice work thanks!!!
Handhelds:
GPD Win, GPD XD 64gb, PlayGo, RS-90, 3DS XL, DSi XL, GBA SP, GBBC Clone, Gameboy Pocket c/w screen mod, PSP Go
PC:
ASUS TUF, Medion Erazer, Toshiba Z20t, Dell Mini 9, Psion 5MX, Toshiba 3480ct
Tons of other old laptops and tablets.....

PhenomX

« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2020, 11:14:33 pm »
Great job, with what I've been trying for now; the system is very stable, but logically certain problems have appeared, the ports of doom, hexen, heretic and wolfenstein cause shutdowns and end up restarting the system (watchdog already works xD), the battery is still showing not accurate, is there any way calibrate it manually?
Thanks for all the effort and dedication to this machine :)

LauweLoempia

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2020, 11:38:32 pm »

I tried with 5 different USB cables and went tens of times trough the USB settings menu but the best I get is that the USB connection is being recognized by Android's Filetransfer which then generates the the error 'Can't connect: check your connection or reboot the device' (wording may differ as I get this error in Dutch). I think something broke so I try to flash the unit from scratch and apply the update. Perhaps something broke as I applied the update from the external SD instead of the internal memory....

LauweLoempia

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2020, 11:39:50 pm »

I tried the new compiled Temper OPK but still no succes. I think I broke something during the update process and will try again from scratch... However, thanks for all the effort :-)

LauweLoempia

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2020, 12:42:53 am »
Succes!! During my attempts to connect the RS-90 to my mac over USB i noticed that when I made the connection the screen showed a little 'flicker' and some lines. As this is often due to grounding issues (different ground potential of the battery vs the USB port) I thought, why not try with the battery removed. And it worked! I could acces the internal memory, clean up the .temper folder and installed the latest build from gameblabla! PCE games work now and I can acces the internal memory to update OPK's and such.

So, for everyone who has USB connection issues: try without a battery in the unit!

PhenomX

« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2020, 08:18:39 pm »
After having tried the update for a few days, I am sorry to say that I have detected several problems that the emulators included ReGBA also suffer lowered frame rates and loss of smoothness in the game, especially in games with scrolling, platforms, races, action in general ... doing overclock improves something but still does not feel smooth.

Even homebrew games that used to be very fluid like Hocoslamfy (flappy bird clone) are now no longer fluid, so they are no longer just the ports of id software, doom, heretic, hexen, wolf3d...

Now it seems that the RS-90 has trouble moving the system and games at the same time. Which makes me wonder, wouldn't it have been possible to solve the bug that caused sd crashes without changing the linux?

I am sorry to comment on these problems, but the loss of performance in this update I think is important.

Post a new topic