• HomeBoards
  • RulesRules
  • HelpHelp
  • WikiWiki
  • Donate

Author Topic: Opendingux on RS90: issues  (Read 2288 times)

watchsk94 (OP)

Opendingux on RS90: issues
« on: October 02, 2020, 08:34:15 am »
Hello everyone!
First of all, thanks to everyone who is going to reply to this.
After finding out the ridiculous prices of GBA flashcarts, I eventually decided to give a chance to this tiny console. After checking the terrible original FW, I flashed Opendingux and installed GBC and GBA (ReGBA 04/30/19 version). Both v.2.7 and v.3.0 seemed to work, so I installed the latter. Apart from one very demanding game (FFVI Advance), all the roms I tried ran quite flawlessly, and I cannot complain about this 25 $ machine, which instead has suprised me with its vivid colours and its nice screen.
I have only two silly questions:

1. The wrong battery calibration is no big issue to me, as I have experienced the same thing on my rockbox'd mp3 player, so it's ok. Though, does the led turn from green to red when it is actually short on battery, or will it shut down with absolutely no warning at all?

2. I don't like savestates, preferring saving my progress directly from the game options. I noticed that in ReGBA I need to close the emulator after saving, then turn off the console from the Power Off toggle and only after that I can switch it off. Otherwise, my .sav files get corrupted. Is there a way to avoid that? Maybe an updated version of the emulator? Am I getting anything wrong? GBC games have no corrupted files problem at all, even when I brutally shut down the console.

Thank you in advance and let's keep supporting Opendingux!
« Last Edit: October 02, 2020, 08:35:56 am by watchsk94 »

v47

Re: Opendingux on RS90: issues
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2020, 10:41:26 am »
1. this seemed to improve for me after a few cycles, while still not 100% accurate, if the indicator shows low battery, it's time to charge.

2. yes, you need to soft-powerdown the device properly if you want to avoid file corruption, that's just how it works.

watchsk94 (OP)

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2020, 10:58:52 am »
1. this seemed to improve for me after a few cycles, while still not 100% accurate, if the indicator shows low battery, it's time to charge.

2. yes, you need to soft-powerdown the device properly if you want to avoid file corruption, that's just how it works.

First of all, thank you very much for replying.
Thank you for your advice, I'll try giving it more cycles in the next days, hoping the indicator will get more accurate.

It's ok with soft-powerdown, I've had no problems since I started turning it off like that. Still, my biggest concern is: when you go out of battery, does the system tell you while you're on ReGBA? I am afraid it will brutally shut down the console, corrupting my files. Yet, if I don't discharge the battery, I will not be able to give it a proper cycle. So I am playing very carefully, using savestates and hoping I won't lose it all :D

Thank you again!

lemmywinks

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2020, 12:31:44 pm »
I've had save files corrupted on GB/GBC by not powering down via software so it's not exclusive to GBA. Lost my Link's Awakening save that way.
Handhelds:
GPD Win, GPD XD 64gb, PlayGo, RS-90, 3DS XL, DSi XL, GBA SP, GBBC Clone, Gameboy Pocket c/w screen mod, PSP Go
PC:
Medion Erazer, Toshiba Z20t, Dell Mini 9, Psion 5MX
Tons of other old laptops and tablets.....

watchsk94 (OP)

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2020, 01:53:57 pm »
Small update: after about 5 h of gameplay on ReGBA overclocked 456 MhZ, I plugged in the console, as I experienced a slight tearing in the screen, probably because it was out of battery. I was able to play at least 2 h after the indicator started showing the plug-in icon, so my battery was totally uncalibrated. We are going to see if things have changed after this full charge.