Author Topic: My OPK packages for the RS-90 (Opendingux)  (Read 37894 times)

HyperionAlpha

• Zombo com
Re: My OPK packages for the RS-90 (Opendingux)
« Reply #100 on: May 09, 2019, 07:48:39 pm »
I've released a port of Temper for the RS-90. No idea how well it runs on the RS-90 but seems to be okay on most games according to my tests.
Obviously, don't play Supergrafx games, especially Ghouls'n Ghost, as they will run pretty slow. But if you wanna try, then you can do it.
Let me know how it runs.

Donde esta la Temper?

kokokool

« Reply #101 on: May 09, 2019, 07:49:30 pm »
I've released a port of Temper for the RS-90. No idea how well it runs on the RS-90 but seems to be okay on most games according to my tests.
Obviously, don't play Supergrafx games, especially Ghouls'n Ghost, as they will run pretty slow. But if you wanna try, then you can do it.
Let me know how it runs.

Donde esta la Temper?

En el link de gameblabla po

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

LauweLoempia

« Reply #102 on: May 09, 2019, 10:09:28 pm »
it's hard to tell without the console what is doable and what is not at fullspeed.
Would it help if you had one? If so, then hey people, lets either throw some money at the guy (a new RetroMini is about $28 on ebay) or find someone close to his location who would be willing to send him a working unit.

If we go with the first option, I've got my ten bucks ready to go (paypal).

I'll gladly chip in. Send you a PM with details.

v47

« Reply #103 on: May 09, 2019, 10:22:06 pm »
Thanks - I'll send you my paypal donation id once I have managed to flash the device successfully (because only then it can be sent to gameblabla).

//flashed successfully, looks like it's a v21, sent a pm to gameblabla asking for a shipping address, if provided within the next 12 hours, the unit will be dispatched before the weekend.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 11:02:14 pm by v47 »

v47

« Reply #104 on: May 10, 2019, 09:12:35 am »
The package is on the way, should arrive sometime next week. Both forum members who have expressed interest in sharing the costs have been sent a pm with my paypal donation id - feel free to wait with the donations until gameblabla confirms the package has been delivered.

LauweLoempia

« Reply #105 on: May 10, 2019, 09:30:51 am »
The package is on the way, should arrive sometime next week. Both forum members who have expressed interest in sharing the costs have been sent a pm with my paypal donation id - feel free to wait with the donations until gameblabla confirms the package has been delivered.
Trust is a beautiful thing and one on which communities like this are buil on! Donation paid ;)
Good luck with the unit gameblabla, the future is looking bright for this little device  :)

v47

« Reply #106 on: May 10, 2019, 10:08:20 am »
Donation received - thanks.

Yeah, I'm hoping it to become one the best GB/GBC/GBA players around.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 10:10:00 am by v47 »

Great Crippler

« Reply #107 on: May 10, 2019, 12:18:43 pm »
Gameblabla said he would PM me on arrival. I will pitch in then. Thanks for doing this.

HyperionAlpha

• Zombo com
« Reply #108 on: May 10, 2019, 02:46:13 pm »
Let me know how it runs.

I tried Blazing Lazers, Bonk's Adventure, Side Arms, and Ninja Spirit--all are full speed with the counter pegged at 59/60 fps at all times. Final Soldier loaded up and seemed to be 100% full speed, until I switched to the bubble and fire weapons, the additional animation of that firepower along with the background animations seemed to slow things down a lot. The counter showed it down as much as 50fps, but it felt slower than that. I haven't had a lot of time to play around with it yet but it's looking pretty damn good so far. I'm curious if it can even handle CD-ROM games. I have a few images I made of my collection with lower sampling rates somewhere, I'll try to give a few of those games a go.

One thing I immediately missed is auto-fire. It might be nice to get this added somehow, maybe to the shoulder buttons. A lot of PC Engine games were designed around the auto-fire, which makes sense when you consider the switches for this were built into the standard gamepads.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 02:57:19 pm by HyperionAlpha »

gameblabla (OP)

« Reply #109 on: May 10, 2019, 06:04:56 pm »
I tried Blazing Lazers, Bonk's Adventure, Side Arms, and Ninja Spirit--all are full speed with the counter pegged at 59/60 fps at all times. Final Soldier loaded up and seemed to be 100% full speed, until I switched to the bubble and fire weapons, the additional animation of that firepower along with the background animations seemed to slow things down a lot. The counter showed it down as much as 50fps, but it felt slower than that. I haven't had a lot of time to play around with it yet but it's looking pretty damn good so far. I'm curious if it can even handle CD-ROM games. I have a few images I made of my collection with lower sampling rates somewhere, I'll try to give a few of those games a go.
CD-ROM games will play just as smoothly for the most part. For best performance, it is recommended that you stick with uncompressed audio and put such games on the external sd card.
Anyway, don't expect amazing performance : it's already surprising that it can run as it is.
I don't think there's much i could do other than profile said Final Soldier game.

Consider overclocking if you are not happy with the speed.

One thing I immediately missed is auto-fire. It might be nice to get this added somehow, maybe to the shoulder buttons. A lot of PC Engine games were designed around the auto-fire, which makes sense when you consider the switches for this were built into the standard gamepads.
Have you tried going to "Configure pad" and setting "Rapid II" or "Rapid I" to one of the buttons ?

Also, thanks guys for the free RS-90. I'll definitely let you know once it gets into my hands.

That's already the case for those consoles CCC:
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 06:08:37 pm by gameblabla »

Great Crippler

« Reply #110 on: May 10, 2019, 07:26:11 pm »
Donation received - thanks.

I confirmed he has tracking from you. Payment sent.

v47

« Reply #111 on: May 10, 2019, 07:31:29 pm »
Received - thank you.

Will fully refund all in an edge-case scenario where the package would get lost or destroyed, of course.

Also, thanks guys for the free RS-90. I'll definitely let you know once it gets into my hands.
Don't mention it - was money well spent.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 09:09:58 pm by v47 »

Cralex

« Reply #112 on: May 11, 2019, 03:44:17 am »
Tried out some PC-Engine CD games. Very nice performance! As one might expect by now, it'll show both .cue and .bin/.iso files in the file explorer, only without the file extensions. This seems like a limitation of gmenu on this device to not filter by file extensions. A hack of sorts to get around this is to open the .cue files in a text editor and put a period before the name of your bin/iso and then change the name of your bin/iso to match. (For example, Rondo.iso would become .Rondo.iso) This will hide your bin/iso in the file explorer, while leaving the .cue still visible to launch your CD games. (It might hide your bin/iso files on Linux, too, so take care not to lose them.)

gameblabla (OP)

« Reply #113 on: May 11, 2019, 04:39:42 am »
Tried out some PC-Engine CD games. Very nice performance! As one might expect by now, it'll show both .cue and .bin/.iso files in the file explorer, only without the file extensions. This seems like a limitation of gmenu on this device to not filter by file extensions. A hack of sorts to get around this is to open the .cue files in a text editor and put a period before the name of your bin/iso and then change the name of your bin/iso to match. (For example, Rondo.iso would become .Rondo.iso) This will hide your bin/iso in the file explorer, while leaving the .cue still visible to launch your CD games. (It might hide your bin/iso files on Linux, too, so take care not to lose them.)
Yeah and we need to be able to show bin files too. I don't like this hack.
Maybe it's something i'll have to ask pcerceui for (filter by file extensions rather than just mime types) as it is downright annoying, down to the GCW0 days.

davidgilmour

« Reply #114 on: May 11, 2019, 12:08:17 pm »
@gameblabla thanks for Temper.
It runs great. Even Granz?rt (supergrafx) runs at full speed.

I have only one request.
The Resolution of the RS-90 is the same as the GBA (240:160), i.e. a 3:2 resolution.
The PC Engines default resolution is 256:239 which is 15:14 or almost 1:1.

Is there a way to add another scaling mode like 172:160 ?
This way the games would look more authentic.

gameblabla (OP)

« Reply #115 on: May 11, 2019, 08:59:34 pm »
I have only one request.
The Resolution of the RS-90 is the same as the GBA (240:160), i.e. a 3:2 resolution.
It's not worth it because the resolution is too low and we would lose too many pixels.

Notice how much the text is squeezed. This is why i did not add it.
Even though it's not the proper aspect ratio, doing it fullscreen still looks better.

davidgilmour

« Reply #116 on: May 12, 2019, 09:48:00 am »
I have only one request.
It's not worth it because the resolution is too low and we would lose too many pixels.

Notice how much the text is squeezed. This is why i did not add it.
Even though it's not the proper aspect ratio, doing it fullscreen still looks better.

Ah, that explains a lot. Thanks for your information. The retromini is so great with Temper and the GBA emu.
And it is only $28, a steel!

kokokool

« Reply #117 on: May 13, 2019, 07:51:50 pm »
Hi guys, any work in progress with atari universe, coleco and zxspectrum yet?

Have a nice day, afternoon and evening!

gameblabla (OP)

« Reply #118 on: May 14, 2019, 05:56:13 am »
Nope. SMS Plus GX can already emulate the Colecovision.
As for Atari consoles, computers & zx spectrum, well don't count on me.

kokokool

« Reply #119 on: May 14, 2019, 01:38:25 pm »
Nope. SMS Plus GX can already emulate the Colecovision.
As for Atari consoles, computers & zx spectrum, well don't count on me.

Oh I see.
Coleco yes, is covered by SMS but mate, ive tried 20 games and when it prompts you 1 player or two none of the buttons worked. Can you help me on this?