Author Topic: My OPK packages for the RS-90 (Opendingux)  (Read 33959 times)

gameblabla (OP)

Re: My OPK packages for the RS-90 (Opendingux)
« Reply #80 on: May 08, 2019, 05:06:32 am »
Alright guys, i've found the regression for Donkey Kong Country.
https://github.com/rs90-randomsjunk/gnuboy_rs90/commit/3fe8c7df4daf3de38df9165eab604580020722be

Turns out this extra line of code was completely un-necesarry and it would conflict with Donkey Kong Country.
Removing it still allows Killer Instinct & Extreme Ghostbusters to work properly so there's that.

The source code was trimmed down too, removing some overhead and fixing a few leaks here and there.
I've noticed that my source code revamp fixed Donkey Kong Land 2 but....
you need to remove the corrupted save for Donkey Kong Land 2. They should be located in .gnuboy/saves.
Once you remove said save and update to my newer OPK, then slot 1 in DKL2 should work properly.

Needless to say, you should download the new OPK.
Hopefully you will be able to enjoy some monkey action on your RS-90.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 05:41:31 am by gameblabla »

Cralex

« Reply #81 on: May 08, 2019, 05:50:25 am »
Monkey action, indeed! It works just fine. I honestly wasn?t expecting this. Are the fixes going upstream? It would be cool to see other Gnuboy ports for niche devices get glitch-free monkey action.

gameblabla (OP)

« Reply #82 on: May 08, 2019, 06:42:13 am »
Monkey action, indeed! It works just fine. I honestly wasn?t expecting this. Are the fixes going upstream? It would be cool to see other Gnuboy ports for niche devices get glitch-free monkey action.
Upstream is dead. Even Gambatte is not actively supported anymore.
Tthe thing is the RS-97 & Bittboy are powerful enough to run something like Gambatte, which is obviously better.
Maybe i could make a build for the Dingoo A320 though. I'm not sure what other handled this could be merged to.

Cralex

My OPK packages for the RS-90 (Opendingux)
« Reply #83 on: May 08, 2019, 06:51:59 am »
Upstream is dead. Even Gambatte is not actively supported anymore.
Tthe thing is the RS-97 & Bittboy are powerful enough to run something like Gambatte, which is obviously better.
Maybe i could make a build for the Dingoo A320 though. I'm not sure what other handled this could be merged to.

Understood. Even potatoes these days are too powerful to need the likes of Gnuboy... But one that isn?t is the PocketSprite. It is able to run most games with Gnuboy really well, but DKC notably suffers from the graphical glitches you just fixed. The (admittedly dead-looking) repo is here: https://github.com/PocketSprite/8bkc-gnuboy

The (mostly one-man) developer scene is pretty much hibernating, so I?m not expecting much, but I figure it?s worth a shot since the system literally has no other GBC option due to low power.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 06:59:30 am by Cralex »

hiei

« Reply #84 on: May 08, 2019, 10:17:04 am »
@gameblabla so you won't try to port Gambatte/OhBoy?

gameblabla (OP)

« Reply #85 on: May 08, 2019, 11:47:08 am »
The (mostly one-man) developer scene is pretty much hibernating, so I?m not expecting much, but I figure it?s worth a shot since the system literally has no other GBC option due to low power.
I made a pull request  there. However, someone else had made one 1 year ago and he got no comments.
I'm sorry but if you want to have your DKC fix, then someone else will have to compile it with the fix in place.
(That or you can try to resurrect him)

I mean Gambatte is much more CPU intensive and our RS-90 is miserable, specs wise.
Also, Ohboy is actually based on Gnuboy 1.0.4 just saying. (and of course, it can't play DKC properly either. Easy fix still but then i would need to adapt it for the RS-90)

Given that i've fixed Gnuboy to the point that most games are playable, i won't bother.

hiei

« Reply #86 on: May 08, 2019, 12:45:41 pm »
I made a pull request  there. However, someone else had made one 1 year ago and he got no comments.
I'm sorry but if you want to have your DKC fix, then someone else will have to compile it with the fix in place.
(That or you can try to resurrect him)

I mean Gambatte is much more CPU intensive and our RS-90 is miserable, specs wise.
Also, Ohboy is actually based on Gnuboy 1.0.4 just saying. (and of course, it can't play DKC properly either. Easy fix still but then i would need to adapt it for the RS-90)

Given that i've fixed Gnuboy to the point that most games are playable, i won't bother.

Oh ok! What else could be ported efficiently knowing the limitations of the hardware?

gameblabla (OP)

« Reply #87 on: May 08, 2019, 01:44:35 pm »
Oh ok! What else could be ported efficiently knowing the limitations of the hardware?
I don't know, Chip-8 games, Megadrive via Picodrive (and that's a stretch), Neo geo pocket via Race or Neopop, Vecx (Vectrex) and maybe Temper.
No idea, the specs are pretty bad and it's hard to tell without the console what is doable and what is not at fullspeed.

kokokool

« Reply #88 on: May 08, 2019, 02:07:38 pm »
I don't know, Chip-8 games, Megadrive via Picodrive (and that's a stretch), Neo geo pocket via Race or Neopop, Vecx (Vectrex) and maybe Temper.
No idea, the specs are pretty bad and it's hard to tell without the console what is doable and what is not at fullspeed.

So we can possibly reach 16 bit with lots of effort

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

Cralex

« Reply #89 on: May 08, 2019, 03:08:00 pm »
Stock FW actually had pretty decent MD/GEN emulation and ok SNES emulation, so a quality port should be able to produce playable results. There are already people on discord clamoring for 16-bit systems to achieve parity with stock...

v47

« Reply #90 on: May 08, 2019, 03:15:20 pm »
it's hard to tell without the console what is doable and what is not at fullspeed.
Would it help if you had one? If so, then hey people, lets either throw some money at the guy (a new RetroMini is about $28 on ebay) or find someone close to his location who would be willing to send him a working unit.

If we go with the first option, I've got my ten bucks ready to go (paypal).

gameblabla (OP)

« Reply #91 on: May 09, 2019, 12:41:32 pm »
I've released a port of Temper for the RS-90. No idea how well it runs on the RS-90 but seems to be okay on most games according to my tests.
Obviously, don't play Supergrafx games, especially Ghouls'n Ghost, as they will run pretty slow. But if you wanna try, then you can do it.
Let me know how it runs.

Stock FW actually had pretty decent MD/GEN emulation and ok SNES emulation, so a quality port should be able to produce playable results. There are already people on discord clamoring for 16-bit systems to achieve parity with stock...
Whatever they had was far from decent in my opinion. I'll touch picodrive at some point but i'm too afraid to touch PocketSNES... It won't run that well. (it already doesn't on the RS-97, at least Snes9x 1.43)

Would it help if you had one? If so, then hey people, lets either throw some money at the guy (a new RetroMini is about $28 on ebay) or find someone close to his location who would be willing to send him a working unit.
If we go with the first option, I've got my ten bucks ready to go (paypal).
Sadly i can't accept paypal donations as they have been dicks to me and refused to open my account even though i did nothing with it.
Simply put, they behaved like assholes.
So if someone wants to send me a RetroMini, he/she will have to send me his/her to me. I live in France.

Sipulka

« Reply #92 on: May 09, 2019, 01:01:34 pm »
temper_rs90.opk    2019-05-09 13:28    784K   

BUG: the cross is always pressed to the left. impossible to move.

v47

« Reply #93 on: May 09, 2019, 01:05:02 pm »
I live close enough, and despite money being pretty tight lately, I think I could spare my secondary unit and send it over to you (haven't tried to flash it yet, so no idea what version it is though).

If I end up sending it, I would very much appreciate a few forum members throwing at least a handful of dollars my way (bought the handheld for $27, shipping to gameblabla will cost about $8 - would be great if I could get about 15-20 dollars back from this deal).

So, anyone wiling to contribute?

gameblabla (OP)

« Reply #94 on: May 09, 2019, 02:35:39 pm »
temper_rs90.opk    2019-05-09 13:28    784K   

BUG: the cross is always pressed to the left. impossible to move.
Change the 6-buttons setting to No. I've been told that this fixes it.
Guess that some games don't like it when set to 6-buttons mode.
I'll update it later as to fix this by default.

If I end up sending it, I would very much appreciate a few forum members throwing at least a handful of dollars my way (bought the handheld for $27, shipping to gameblabla will cost about $8 - would be great if I could get about 15-20 dollars back from this deal).
I would appreciate it, let me know if it goes through thank you.

EDIT: Alright, i set the 6-buttons settings to no by default and also re-profiled it against a SuperGrafx game. (Ghouls'n Ghost especially)
This could run a little slower on PC-Engine only games as it seems that both machines have different codepaths but i dunno.
In any case, i would advise that you download the OPK again. Alternatively, you can just set the 6-buttons setting to No by yourself.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 02:45:45 pm by gameblabla »

Great Crippler

« Reply #95 on: May 09, 2019, 02:45:04 pm »
I live close enough, and despite money being pretty tight lately, I think I could spare my secondary unit and send it over to you (haven't tried to flash it yet, so no idea what version it is though).

So, anyone wiling to contribute?

I'd make sure your spare can be hacked before shipping. That said, if you can get him a hacked unit in hand, I can definitely spare a few bucks to help cover the loss you take.

Sipulka

« Reply #96 on: May 09, 2019, 03:01:07 pm »
temper_rs90.opk    2019-05-09 15:42    788K

BUG no fixed. d - pad is always pressed "left"

gameblabla (OP)

« Reply #97 on: May 09, 2019, 03:13:22 pm »
temper_rs90.opk    2019-05-09 15:42    788K

BUG no fixed. d - pad is always pressed "left"
You need to remove the .temper directory too or manually set the 6-buttons mode to No.

Sipulka

« Reply #98 on: May 09, 2019, 03:29:51 pm »
OK. Sorry. bug fixed!

v47

« Reply #99 on: May 09, 2019, 03:30:47 pm »
I can definitely spare a few bucks to help cover the loss you take.
Ok, I'll see if I can load the new firmware this weekend, and if successful, will send the unit to gameblabla this Monday and let everyone know.

Hopefully some more people will chip in in the meantime.