Author Topic: My OPK packages for the RS-90 (Opendingux)  (Read 39819 times)

Sipulka

Re: My OPK packages for the RS-90 (Opendingux)
« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2019, 08:09:44 pm »
What do you mean ? The default config does not stick ?
Yes

pcercuei

• My devblog
« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2019, 08:12:29 pm »
For "speed reasons"? That's BS. Give me a benchmark.
It's around 1% at most. Admittedly, it's only a small benefit (i could have used mplt instead. There's a PDF slide on that) but that's not the only reason why i did this.
So what are the other reasons?

I would need to find a CPU bound benchmark for testing.

You know that if you compile statically, your apps will break as soon as we update the OS, right?
I mean, they won't unless you do something in particular to SDL or something, that's the whole point of static linking ?
Should you make do a modification to SDL or something, i can simply recompile it.
That's what they all say, until the person leaves the scene or just disappears, and these apps simply cannot run with the new OS anymore because they've been statically linked.
Unless you have a *very good* reason to link statically, don't do that.

And i need to have some way of knowing that executable works as i have plenty of MIPS devices like it but not the Retromini obviously so i can't easily test such a dynamically linked app.
Well, compile it with the other device's toolchain to test it, and when you're ready to release your app, compile it with the rs-90 toolchain.

romanaOne

« Reply #42 on: May 04, 2019, 08:43:35 pm »
A bunch of statically compiled binaries still work which were built for the A320 running opendingux.

I tested lots of them on the RGPlus and a few of them on the LDK. Some have a few problems like openjazz, but many work just fine: Bubble Dizzy, openggs, biniax2, sdlroids, dingux-ti99, most other thins in ZX-81's games and emus site.

Absolutely nothing I can find which is dynamically linked from the A320 days will work now. Not even a little bit.

I have no strong feelings about this subject, just saying what I found over at openhandhelds.org

ChronoStriker1

« Reply #43 on: May 04, 2019, 09:03:01 pm »
How do you setup SMS Plus GX to run coleco?  I have the bios in the correct folder but roms don't seem to load.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

pcercuei

• My devblog
« Reply #44 on: May 04, 2019, 10:50:50 pm »
Absolutely nothing I can find which is dynamically linked from the A320 days will work now. Not even a little bit.
It would be easy to get them to work. On the other hand, if it's statically compiled and won't boot on the RS-90, it's game over, there's nothing that you can do.

A long time ago (in 2001? or so), Loki Software released Heroes 3 for Linux. The static build requires OSS, will force your screen to a low resolution, etc. By using the dynamic build, the screen can be resized to the desktop's resolution using OpenGL, you can use PulseAudio as the sound output, etc. Just because you can link the old binary to new libraries.

kokokool

« Reply #45 on: May 04, 2019, 11:25:52 pm »
How do you setup SMS Plus GX to run coleco?  I have the bios in the correct folder but roms don't seem to load.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
I renamed BiOs as ?BIOS?. Downloaded the romset and voila.

The only thing is that, control mapping does not work for me.

In the meantime, other thing is to compile the games it with Cologne and open it with ReGBA then.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

kokokool

« Reply #46 on: May 05, 2019, 04:32:29 pm »
fceux_rs90.opk 2019-05-04 15:33 968K

1) Sound - ОК!!!
2) I would add a little bit of speed :) about 5% :)

nice work boys! my thanks for the work!

Yeah, sound is ok!
The problem for me is that emulation at this stage is a bit choppy, but i guess is a matter of timefornimprovements

Onionland

« Reply #47 on: May 05, 2019, 05:28:29 pm »

Yeah, sound is ok!
The problem for me is that emulation at this stage is a bit choppy, but i guess is a matter of timefornimprovements

Yeah, it's pretty choppy by default, looking though as if it has like a frameskip of 3 or something running without letting you know, enabling throttling solves the choppiness, but the CPU can't handle the the emulator at full speed with throttling, and gives you about 50-55 fps in games with a slight overclock

kokokool

« Reply #48 on: May 05, 2019, 05:59:40 pm »

Yeah, sound is ok!

Yeah, it's pretty choppy by default, looking though as if it has like a frameskip of 3 or something running without letting you know, enabling throttling solves the choppiness, but the CPU can't handle the the emulator at full speed with throttling, and gives you about 50-55 fps in games with a slight overclock

Yes it is, but i guess its a matter of time. Pocketnes nes packs runs perfect over reGBA so might be possible to achieve the same performance.

Anyway its happening everyday

Cheers

gameblabla (OP)

« Reply #49 on: May 05, 2019, 06:41:09 pm »
I have updated Fceux, this newer build should run slightly faster. (Did some PGO to it, fixed a few issues as reported by fno-common and so on).
The config bug issue may or may not be fixed, please report back if it's still not fixed.

Make sure your Colecovision games have the .col extension as well. Note that some homebrew games won't be detected properly and won't run.

I would like to do some PGO on the binaries and doing that when you can't use said rootfs libraries on another device is almost impossible.
Also here's the paper i was talking about :
https://elinux.org/images/1/1f/New-tricks-mips-linux.pdf

A statically linked binary with no PIC and no abicalls can only be beneficial performance wise, even if it can in some cases be a maintenance burden. Every last 1% is important on a 300Mhz device. (which is honestly more comparable to a boosted 486)

That's what they all say, until the person leaves the scene or just disappears, and these apps simply cannot run with the new OS anymore because they've been statically linked.
That's why the source code is available and besides, it's not like you will want to work with a binary.

A long time ago (in 2001? or so), Loki Software released Heroes 3 for Linux. The static build requires OSS, will force your screen to a low resolution, etc. By using the dynamic build, the screen can be resized to the desktop's resolution using OpenGL, you can use PulseAudio as the sound output, etc. Just because you can link the old binary to new libraries.
This is true in the case of proprietary games released on desktops but we're on a small handled and right now everything got its source code released. Even on the GCW0, most of the stuff had their source open. If we really want to add Pulseaudio support to some app for a future handled, you are probably better off recompiling or adding said support to the soure code.
Dynamically linked apps can still not run when linked against newer libraries, especially if they break the ABI.
That's not to mention some will even refuse to work with linked against a different version. (like OpenSSL and the likes)
So while Heroes 3 might work on more recent desktops, the same can't be really said for other binaries.
Such hackups on proprietary binaries can only go so far.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 06:44:34 pm by gameblabla »

Nootboot64

« Reply #50 on: May 05, 2019, 06:45:14 pm »
I have updated Fceux, this newer build should run slightly faster. (Did some PGO to it, fixed a few issues as reported by fno-common and so on).
The config bug issue may or may not be fixed, please report back if it's still not fixed.

I would like to do some PGO on the binaries and doing that when you can't use said rootfs libraries on another device is almost impossible.
Also here's the paper i was talking about :
https://elinux.org/images/1/1f/New-tricks-mips-linux.pdf

A statically linked binary with no PIC and no abicalls can only be beneficial performance wise, even if it can in some cases be a maintenance burden. Every last 1% is important on a 300Mhz device. (which is honestly more comparable to a boosted 486)

That's why the source code is available and besides, it's not like you will want to work with a binary.

This is true in the case of proprietary games released on desktops but we're on a small handled and right now everything got its source code released. Even on the GCW0, most of the stuff had their source open. If we really want to add Pulseaudio support to some app for a future handled, you are probably better off recompiling or adding said support to the soure code.
Dynamically linked apps can still not run when linked against newer libraries, especially if they break the ABI.
That's not to mention some will even refuse to work with linked against a different version. (like OpenSSL and the likes)
So while Heroes 3 might work on more recent desktops, the same can't be really said for other binaries.
Such hackups on proprietary binaries can only go so far.
I figured out how to make it run super smoothly, but it didn't save the config. Just telling you cause you said to report.

gameblabla (OP)

« Reply #51 on: May 05, 2019, 07:03:35 pm »
I figured out how to make it run super smoothly, but it didn't save the config. Just telling you cause you said to report.
Is that using the newer OPK ? You are probably talking about the Throttling setting in Video option i think.

Sipulka

« Reply #52 on: May 05, 2019, 07:12:17 pm »
fceux_rs90.opk    2019-05-05 19:21    1.0м

Save default - OK. the resolution settings are saved.

Onionland

« Reply #53 on: May 05, 2019, 07:22:35 pm »
Is that using the newer OPK ? You are probably talking about the Throttling setting in Video option i think.

I'm not sure about the other guy, but with the rotation of games i've been testing with i'm getting a slight speed boost hovering around 3 fps or so, now running at about 55-58 fps with throttling and an overclock of 438 (same as for my last test).

Edit: You can achieve around 60fps by significantly lowering or completely turning off the sound. I'm assuming nootboot probably did something akin to this
« Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 07:27:37 pm by Onionland »

Nootboot64

« Reply #54 on: May 05, 2019, 07:25:41 pm »
Yeah, I used the newer OPK, but was I supposed to delete the .fceux folder beforehand?
I also set sound rate to the second lowest option (can't remember what that is) and sound is smooth, but it sounds almost muffled. I'm fine with it sounding like that, though.

gameblabla (OP)

« Reply #55 on: May 05, 2019, 07:41:59 pm »
I updated PokeMini as to fix the issue with configuration file not saving, it's now saved in .pokemini.
Fceux also got updated as to set the default audio frequency to 22050hz.

Yeah, I used the newer OPK, but was I supposed to delete the .fceux folder beforehand?
Sipulka said that saving the settings is working fine now so either it cached the older OPK (in which case you may have to reboot) or you did not update properly. Delete said folder to be extra sure yeah.

I also set sound rate to the second lowest option (can't remember what that is) and sound is smooth, but it sounds almost muffled. I'm fine with it sounding like that, though.
Edit: You can achieve around 60fps by significantly lowering or completely turning off the sound. I'm assuming nootboot probably did something akin to this
Yeah i set it to 48000Hz and that's way too high for this device. I updated the OPK so it sets it to 22050hz by default but you may have to go with 11025hz or even 8000hz. (the latter two will sound very muffled though)

kokokool

« Reply #56 on: May 05, 2019, 10:43:27 pm »

I turned off sound and it has become more faster than usual, a bit less choppy. If, over that you turn fps throttle, it will be smoother but at the same time a bit slower.

mth

« Reply #57 on: May 05, 2019, 11:20:20 pm »
The full list of sample frequencies supported by OpenDingux is: 8000, 11025, 16000, 22050, 32000, 44100, 48000.

The hardware also supports 9600, 12000, 24000 and 96000, but the first three aren't defined in ALSA (Linux sound system) and the last one isn't very useful, especially on a device like this.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 05:55:58 am by mth »

Sipulka

« Reply #58 on: May 06, 2019, 03:39:28 am »
Sipulka said that saving the settings is working fine now so either it cached the older OPK (in which case you may have to reboot) or you did not update properly. Delete said folder to be extra sure yeah.

I opened the game, saved the "default" settings, then wrote a new rom on the card and started it - the settings of the new ROM were "default". in the previous version, the permissions settings were not saved, in the new version they are saved.

pokemini_rs90.opk    2019-05-05 20:29    484K

Save - OK. bug fixed

gameblabla (OP)

« Reply #59 on: May 06, 2019, 06:35:43 pm »
I have removed some debug code in Fceux and uploaded said newer build yesterday, i also redid the PGO profiling.
It should run just a little faster (as there was quite some ifs inside of the PPU/interpreter code and all) but probably not by much.

The hardware also supports 9600, 12000, 24000 and 96000, but the first three aren't defined in ALSA (Linux sound system) and the last one isn't very useful, especially on a device like this.
It would still be nice to support 96000. Not for games/emulators of course but maybe for something like a VGM player.
I know, it's not that useful but i'm pretty curious to hear how it sounds like when set to such a high frequency.

I opened the game, saved the "default" settings, then wrote a new rom on the card and started it - the settings of the new ROM were "default". in the previous version, the permissions settings were not saved, in the new version they are saved.
Yes but the scaling option is not saved. Maybe that's something i will look into.

Post a new topic
Post a new topic