Author Topic: RS90/RG99 Emulators compiled with new toolchain (2022.12.31 updated)  (Read 3365 times)

SnDream (OP)

Re: Emulators compiled with new toolchain
« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2022, 03:25:42 pm »
No, I can have my TF card plugged in all the time, no issue starting up. My unit however will not boot if being charged by a charge only cord (data cord connected to a computer is ok though, no issue).

Excellent news with the emulators, as already mentioned, RG99 is still missing a few (SNES, MAME, Atari2600 for example), and other ones could use improvements (NES slow on the only build of FCEUX available).

//Still some popping sounds with the last GnuBoy build, but indeed better than the previous releases, and I did not notice any slowdowns. Very nice.

gambatte source and opk: https://github.com/SnDream/gambatte-dms/releases

v47

« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2022, 07:08:00 pm »
Links updated, thanks.

SnDream (OP)

« Reply #42 on: December 18, 2022, 01:09:40 pm »
Links updated, thanks.

GNUBoy has been updated, see the top of this Topic.
I found that RG99's seem to be unable to reach 60fps while vsync is opening, most emulators that support auto frameskip run at around 55fps.
The updated version offers three frameskip options, one is to keep the frameskip off and provide it for use with RS90. One is to turn off vsync, this will cause tearing. One is to turn on frameskip, which discards 1 frame every 12 frames.

v47

Re: RS90/RG99 Emulators compiled with new toolchain
« Reply #43 on: December 18, 2022, 02:21:12 pm »
Thanks - PSX Resident Evil and Chrono Trigger are fairly playable. FPS counter flickers badly when enabled (Chrono Trigger ingame), apart from that, looks good.

Edit: Castlevania SotN overlay issues when characters speak, text is only being displayed partially or being overwritten by previous text.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2022, 07:02:53 pm by v47 »

SnDream (OP)

« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2022, 05:27:15 pm »
Thanks - PSX Resident Evil and Chrono Trigger are fairly playable. FPS counter flickers badly when enabled (Chrono Trigger ingame), apart from that, looks good.

Edit: Castlevania SotN overlay issues when characters speak, text is only being displayed partially or being overwritten by previous text.

I just compiled PCSX4ALL without any revisions, I'm not familiar with PS1 and I don't think it will be a good experience, just for fun.

Gnuboy has been updated again to add auto frameskip as well as new scaling. set the freq to 420Mhz and try the new config.
Also, try my modified ReGBA for RG99.  ;D

v47

« Reply #45 on: December 19, 2022, 06:50:49 pm »
Will check, thank you. Yes, PSX on the RG99 is definitely just a proof of concept thing, whatever is playable is only a bonus (Castlevania is nowhere near playable btw, but Resident Evil and Chrono Trigger are decent).
« Last Edit: December 21, 2022, 12:41:21 am by v47 »

v47

Re: RS90/RG99 Emulators compiled with new toolchain (2022.12.25 updated)
« Reply #46 on: December 25, 2022, 06:51:30 pm »
FCEUX has been added, nice - runs much better than the discord build, though still seems a bit sluggish sometimes, despite the FPS being good. What are the fastest/recommended scaling and filtering options? Also I see this one is actually based on the latest official release, maybe using Gameblabla's RS90 source would make it faster?

ReGBA seems to work ok, and is a bit faster than the official build (and the Hardware scaling mode is not broken, and actually is the fastest mode of the entire selection) - as always, any speed increase is very welcome. Thanks.

Fingers crossed for SNES and MAME.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2022, 11:00:26 pm by v47 »

SnDream (OP)

« Reply #47 on: December 26, 2022, 02:54:07 am »
FCEUX has been added, nice - runs much better than the discord build, though still seems a bit sluggish sometimes, despite the FPS being good. What are the fastest/recommended scaling and filtering options? Also I see this one is actually based on the latest official release, maybe using Gameblabla's RS90 source would make it faster?

ReGBA seems to work ok, and is a bit faster than the official build (and the Hardware scaling mode is not broken, and actually is the fastest mode of the entire selection) - as always, any speed increase is very welcome. Thanks.

Famicom's emulator actually requires a high-performance requirement. There are no changes made to FCEUX yet, just open auto frameskip and block some crashing options, and the game actually runs at about 50fps (the 60fps shown is the core emulation speed).

I've tried compiling MAME4ALL and only managed to run an old 8-bit game. It crashed while running a CPS1 game. the MAME code is too complex, maybe I will try again if I can find an Arcade emulator that is customized only for CPS1 or NEOGEO.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2022, 09:00:28 am by SnDream »

v47

« Reply #48 on: December 26, 2022, 02:23:36 pm »
I see - as always, thanks for checking and trying, whatever we can get for the RG99, we'll take happily.

v47

Re: RS90/RG99 Emulators compiled with new toolchain (2022.12.29 updated)
« Reply #49 on: December 30, 2022, 12:38:41 pm »
I see your Oswan now supports RG99, and has more config options. Nice - and links updated again.

citral

« Reply #50 on: December 30, 2022, 03:18:25 pm »

Famicom's emulator actually requires a high-performance requirement. There are no changes made to FCEUX yet, just open auto frameskip and block some crashing options, and the game actually runs at about 50fps (the 60fps shown is the core emulation speed).

I've tried compiling MAME4ALL and only managed to run an old 8-bit game. It crashed while running a CPS1 game. the MAME code is too complex, maybe I will try again if I can find an Arcade emulator that is customized only for CPS1 or NEOGEO.

The problem of FCEUX I think is mostly sdl-video related, it renders at 16bpp which is a bit much asked for the RG99 given all the transformations are done by software.

To tackle that ideally one should rewrite dingoo-video.cpp to blit at 8bpp paletted, then OD sdl1 will take it and hardware-accelerated (MXU) convert it to yuv which the rs90/rg99 ipu can take for scaling and converting back to RGB for the screen, with virtually no CPU penalty.

There's an example here although I needed to force 320,240 SDL_SetVideoMode to make it work on the rg99 https://github.com/pcercuei/sms_sdl/blob/rg99/source/ports/rs90/smsplus.c

« Last Edit: December 30, 2022, 03:33:56 pm by citral »

SnDream (OP)

« Reply #51 on: December 31, 2022, 05:33:29 am »

The problem of FCEUX I think is mostly sdl-video related, it renders at 16bpp which is a bit much asked for the RG99 given all the transformations are done by software.

To tackle that ideally one should rewrite dingoo-video.cpp to blit at 8bpp paletted, then OD sdl1 will take it and hardware-accelerated (MXU) convert it to yuv which the rs90/rg99 ipu can take for scaling and converting back to RGB for the screen, with virtually no CPU penalty.

There's an example here although I needed to force 320,240 SDL_SetVideoMode to make it work on the rg99 https://github.com/pcercuei/sms_sdl/blob/rg99/source/ports/rs90/smsplus.c

I usually perform benchmarks by turning off the entire video rendering, and in my tests, FCEUX could not run at full speed with frameskip turned off even without any video rendering, so I assign this to emulator performance requirements.

The problem with the palettes is that many consoles allow the palettes to be changed dynamically based on line position, but SDL's palettes don't seem to be suitable for handling this situation. For FCEUX, I might try to use the palettes, but according to the previous tests, this also does not allow FCEUX to run at full speed without frameskip.

citral

Re: RS90/RG99 Emulators compiled with new toolchain (2022.12.31 updated)
« Reply #52 on: December 31, 2022, 09:32:46 am »
Ah, then I guess the next thing to do would be to compile it in debug mode, and run "perf record ./fceux rom.zip" with video rendering turned off, and check with perf report where the bottleneck lies and if anything can be done about it :)

v47

« Reply #53 on: December 31, 2022, 01:49:51 pm »
And Snes9x4d has been added, tried the default opk and it's very serviceable for games like Chrono Trigger or Lost Vikings where you don't need a lot of speed. Thanks as always.

What is the difference between snes9x4d.opk and snes9x4d_rg99_2012od.opk?

SnDream (OP)

« Reply #54 on: December 31, 2022, 01:52:37 pm »
Ah, then I guess the next thing to do would be to compile it in debug mode, and run "perf record ./fceux rom.zip" with video rendering turned off, and check with perf report where the bottleneck lies and if anything can be done about it :)

I might try it in my free time. At the moment I think it is probably caused by the complex Mapper (I tested it with MMC5 ROM).
« Last Edit: December 31, 2022, 02:13:07 pm by SnDream »

SnDream (OP)

« Reply #55 on: December 31, 2022, 02:01:10 pm »
And Snes9x4d has been added, tried the default opk and it's very serviceable for games like Chrono Trigger or Lost Vikings where you don't need a lot of speed. Thanks as always.

What is the difference between snes9x4d.opk and snes9x4d_rg99_2012od.opk?

snes9x4d_rg99_2012od.opk => https://github.com/dmitrysmagin/snes9x4d-rzx50
snes9x4d.opk => https://github.com/m45t3r/snes9x4d

I first found the dmitrysmagin's code and compiled it.
Then found the m45t3r's with more updated code, which can also be compiled at rg99.
In the source code, the former is currently placed in the master branch and the latter in the master_new branch.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2022, 02:09:32 pm by SnDream »

v47

« Reply #56 on: December 31, 2022, 03:32:37 pm »
Aha, so the recommended one presumably has newer code, makes sense.

Post a new topic
Post a new topic