Author Topic: RS90/RG99 Emulators compiled with new toolchain (2022.12.31 updated)  (Read 3415 times)

SnDream (OP)

Re: Emulators compiled with new toolchain
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2022, 04:59:08 pm »
Even the current version is much better than Gambatte in a lot of cases (Shantae would be a good example, fullspeed with some crackling is still better than halfspeed with a lot of crackling).

If you end up buying a RG99 just to develop let me know, I'll happily send you some cash to offset the price a bit.

For me, it's mostly a lack of free time.
BTW, my own modified version of Gambatte is fully playable and runs Shantae on Retromini at full speed, 60 fps (456Mhz)/55 fps (420Mhz) with no sound defects.
Since the original version of Gambatte had 320x240 scaling codes, maybe I can reopen those codes and compile an RG99 version.

v47

« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2022, 05:07:57 pm »
Sure, any emulator that can be ported to the RG99 is welcome - as already mentioned, lack of working emulators is the biggest problem at the moment. SNES would also be nice to try (no chance of full speed I'm very sure, but a lot of JRPGs do not need full speed), perhaps even PSX (again, 2D turn based stuff would probably be playable). MAME as well, some games seemed quite playable on the original fw, so should definitely be at least somewhat usable under OD. And, of course, NES, we have that one-off discord build of FCEUX, but it's slow for some reason, maybe it will be faster if you try to build it from Gameblabla's source.

We'll take whatever we can get - again, thanks for looking into this.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2022, 05:22:59 pm by v47 »

SnDream (OP)

« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2022, 05:28:06 pm »
Sure, any emulator that can be ported to the RG99 is welcome - as already mentioned, lack of working emulators is the biggest problem at the moment. SNES would also be nice to try (no chance of full speed I'm very sure, but a lot of JRPGs do not need full speed), perhaps even PSX (again, 2D turn based stuff would probably be playable). MAME as well, some games seemed quite playable on the original fw, so should definitely be at least somewhat usable under OD. And, of course, NES, we have that one-off discord build of FCEUX, but it's slow for some reason, maybe it will be faster if you try to build it from Gameblabla's source.

We'll take whatever we can get - again, thanks for looking into this.

I tried to compile gambatte for rg99, can you help me to see if it works properly? (420/456 Mhz)

sndream.ys168.com - Emulator - RG99 - gambatte.opk

v47

« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2022, 05:35:18 pm »
Just exits to the menu when trying to launch a ROM.

SnDream (OP)

« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2022, 05:51:25 pm »
Just exits to the menu when trying to launch a ROM.

opk updated

sndream.ys168.com - Emulator - RG99 - gambatte.opk

v47

« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2022, 05:59:04 pm »
Works now, noticeably faster than the official build, MarioLand2 DX now almost fullspeed (some 55FPS, was about 45), Shantae significantly faster (about 25FPS vs 15) but still not quite playable (runs ok with your build of GnuBoy though).

Very nice!

Nelugamer

« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2022, 08:26:12 am »
Can be deleted.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2022, 09:45:42 am by Nelugamer »

v47

« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2022, 09:22:23 am »
You need to click on "Emulator", then "RG99", then you will see the opks.

Nelugamer

« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2022, 09:46:08 am »
Thanks... My browser was joking me...

Now downloaded.

Nelugamer

« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2022, 11:13:11 am »
Ok, now I can comment something finally:

My first testings with this GNUBoy version:

GB: Only can load unzipped roms, games seems to run a little bit speedy, not with it's normal speed. Sound seems to lag a little bit sometimes. Tested with Warioland 2 and seems that some sounds are not reproduced. Maybe is due to rom region differences... I'm loading EU or Spanish versions.

GBC: Roms must be unzipped, sound is a bit laggy.

Gambatte: Seems to run very good, but I miss the darker green mono palette from the original Gameblaba's version. It also don't detect zipped rom's.

If you want me to do the test with some concrete roms, please indicate.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2022, 12:15:07 pm by Nelugamer »

SnDream (OP)

« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2022, 02:10:47 pm »
Ok, now I can comment something finally:

My first testings with this GNUBoy version:

GB: Only can load unzipped roms, games seems to run a little bit speedy, not with it's normal speed. Sound seems to lag a little bit sometimes. Tested with Warioland 2 and seems that some sounds are not reproduced. Maybe is due to rom region differences... I'm loading EU or Spanish versions.

GBC: Roms must be unzipped, sound is a bit laggy.

Gambatte: Seems to run very good, but I miss the darker green mono palette from the original Gameblaba's version. It also don't detect zipped rom's.

If you want me to do the test with some concrete roms, please indicate.

1. the problem of GNUBOY speed, without RG99 I can not further debug
2. the problem of missing sound, GNUBOY does not fully support GB sound
3. ZIP file is not suitable for small memory devices, like RG99
4. Gambatte's default palette is too dark on RetroMini, so I replaced it with BGB's palette, I can change it back on RG99 if needed

Nelugamer

« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2022, 02:39:36 pm »
Thanks for replying SnDream, all crystal clear :)

About the palette, finally it's a personal decission, so I'm not the unique user of your version, let see what people comment about, anyway, thanks for the explanation.

Do you think that's possible for you to work on a mame version for the rg99? Maybe based on previous mame2003, fba, or similar emulators? This machine was able to run cps1 and cps2 on it's stock firmware, so I guess it can emulate the oldest mame roms.

I will be available for testing if you need it.

v47

« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2022, 03:44:50 pm »
If you end up buying a RG99 just to develop let me know, I'll happily send you some cash to offset the price

Offer still stands. Also, FCEUX and Snes9x4D, what do you think? Doable?
« Last Edit: November 29, 2022, 10:08:18 am by v47 »

SnDream (OP)

« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2022, 07:15:54 pm »
If you end up buying a RG99 just to develop let me know, I'll happily send you some cash to offset the price

Offer still stands. Also, FCEUX and Snes9x4D, what do you think? Doable?

There have been very few RG99 sales on my side and the price has been enough to get an RG300, which is not a good deal. I am seeing if I can get one used.

For other emulators, the situation is similar, RetroMini is difficult to debug these emulators. On the other hand, I don't have enough time in my workday to make emulator modifications.

v47

« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2022, 09:23:32 pm »
I see - thanks. Well, if you need something tested or anything else, just let me know.

v47

« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2022, 02:16:19 pm »
Almost forgot - now that we know the GnuBoy build works, can you add the option to save config please?

SnDream (OP)

« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2022, 08:49:31 am »
Almost forgot - now that we know the GnuBoy build works, can you add the option to save config please?

The code and OPK have been uploaded to Github

Download: https://github.com/SnDream/gnuboy_rs90/releases

For RG99, I will buy a brand new one for debugging in the next few days.  ;D

v47

« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2022, 12:18:15 pm »
Oh nice. Let me know where to send a donation.

Is there a github repo for your Gambatte RG99 release as well?

SnDream (OP)

« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2022, 05:16:20 pm »
Oh nice. Let me know where to send a donation.

Is there a github repo for your Gambatte RG99 release as well?

GNUBOY opk updated : https://github.com/SnDream/gnuboy_rs90/releases/
Activating the original SDL code for RG99 results in a slightly slower result than RS90 using ALSA, but much better than RG99 using ALSA.

About donations: It might be better to donate directly to the Dingoonity forum
About Gambatte: I still need to clean up some code. After my testing, Gambatte is much better than GNUBOY overall as long as it is set to 456Mhz.
About other emulators: I might start with ReGBA which I am more familiar with. Other RG99-specific emulators will also start debugging.
Also I have a question, my RG99 will continuously vibrate and black screen if it is turned on with TF card, does your device have this problem?

v47

« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2022, 12:33:36 am »
No, I can have my TF card plugged in all the time, no issue starting up. My unit however will not boot if being charged by a charge only cord (data cord connected to a computer is ok though, no issue).

Excellent news with the emulators, as already mentioned, RG99 is still missing a few (SNES, MAME, Atari2600 for example), and other ones could use improvements (NES slow on the only build of FCEUX available).

//Still some popping sounds with the last GnuBoy build, but indeed better than the previous releases, and I did not notice any slowdowns. Very nice.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2022, 01:02:32 am by v47 »

Post a new topic
Post a new topic