Author Topic: OpenDingux flash guide and emulator builds for RG99  (Read 1596 times)

v47 (OP)

OpenDingux flash guide and emulator builds for RG99
« on: March 30, 2022, 10:40:13 am »
First, never pay more than 25$ for this device, if it costs more, you will be better off just throwing a few extra dollars in and getting a Q20mini or a V90 for about 40$.

How to flash (linux live boot to avoid having to deal with windows drivers);

-click on the first link with a green checkmark, scroll down and get odboot-client-linux and update-rs90 (note you have to have an account on github and be signed in, else the download links will not be clickable), extract both to a folder
-connect the RG99 to the computer using an USB-C data cord (a charge only cord will not work), press and hold the start button, start it up, release after a few seconds, if it keeps vibrating, it's in the boot mode
-open terminal (rightmouseclick onto any empty space) from the folder where you have the odboot-client and the current update opk, type sudo ./odboot-client od-update.opk (replace od-update.opk with the filename of the current update opk from the update-rs90 zip), hit enter, choose RG99 and continue
-the RG99 should stop vibrating and show instructions on its screen, follow those until everything is done (note that RSA key creation may take a while and the process may appear to be stuck, just give it some time)

It looks like more often than not, RG99 specific emulator builds are needed;

Commander file operations
ReGBA GBA (may be slow)
Gambatte GB/GBC (some games may be slow, but good sound and compatibility)
GnuBoy GB/GBC (fast, but worse sound and less compatibility)
ScummVM classic adventure games
EasyRPG RPG Maker 2000 and 2003 games
PicoDrive SMS/SMD/32X (32X slow)
Handy Atari Lynx
Oswan WonderSwan
Temper PCE
ProSystem Atari 7800
FCEUX NES (download attachment and change extension from cfg to opk)

If you have another verified working RG99 build of an emulator, please post it here.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2022, 09:19:36 pm by v47 »

v47 (OP)

Re: Emulator builds for RG99 on OpenDingux?
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2022, 05:29:03 pm »
« Last Edit: May 24, 2022, 10:30:43 am by v47 »

Nelugamer

Re: OpenDingux flash guide and emulator builds for RG99
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2022, 05:11:30 pm »
Hi all, one more here... I'm waiting mine from aliexpress now. Maybe arrives on 10-11 days... (I hope...)

Just a question for all people that have modified the stock firmware, the performance comparison between the original one with the modified is considerable? Is a "must" on this console to perform the update?

Another question... Someone knows the folder structure of external sd-card on stock version? i've purchased mine without any sd-card and want to test it with some roms. Is similar to this standard?

Root: "Roms" folder
Roms folder: "name of system" folders

The preview images are places on root "images" folder or inside roms folder?

Is there a way to rollback the upgrade to Opendingux once is done? Or the console will start in stock mode with a stock sd-card as similar on the FC-3000?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2022, 05:36:55 pm by Nelugamer »

Great Crippler

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2022, 06:41:07 pm »
I was under the impression that ReGBA didn't work on the RG99?

v47 (OP)

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2022, 10:06:04 pm »
The people on the OD discord were kind enough to make it work. Same goes for Gambatte, though as already mentioned, the performance is not amazing (RG99, just like RS90, simply isn't fast enough to run those two emulators at full speed). Having GnuBoy available would be great, as it can play a lot of GB/GBC games fullspeed on the RS90, I've tried to ask a couple of people to port it, but nobody really responded.

The original firmware is just bad, though technically, it will allow you to play more games, as it also supports SNES for example (badly, but it does). I would go with OD any day.

I have the original sdcard (didn't want it, but the seller threw it in anyway, probably cost him some 2 cents), it's just a GAME folder in the root, loaded with all the ROMs for all the systems.

No, once you switch to OD, you cannot go back to the original firmware.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2022, 09:42:31 pm by v47 »

Nelugamer

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2022, 09:45:27 am »
Thanks for the information v47.

I will check the overall performance when it arrives to me before upgrading it to OD, I'm curious about how this device plays videos, maybe it can be useful to me...

If the overall performance (for my requirements) is very bad I will clearly go forward to the upgrade.

I will comment anything on this thread.

Nelugamer

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2022, 09:53:30 am »
Adding more related stuff:

Steward Fu's related information to this device: https://steward-fu.github.io/website/handheld.htm#rg99

v47 (OP)

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2022, 07:10:34 pm »
That is for that one-off custom fw that has been released some time ago, unless I'm mistaken. I've actually flashed my RG99 with it back then, but the overall performance was not ideal - that's when I've learned the hard way that RG99 ≠ RS90 with a larger screen and battery.

I don't think any of that can really help with OD and its emulators, but I may be wrong - if anyone knows what is actually necessary to compile an emulator opk for the RG99, then do tell, please.

Also, the only existing FCEUX build that works on the RG99 is now attached to the first post.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2022, 12:05:08 pm by v47 »

Nelugamer

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2022, 08:10:29 am »
I can understand that the latest thing done to the rg99 was this one?

https://github.com/citral23/gambatte-dms/releases/tag/V1

I remember that to create an .opk it was necessary to recompile using the appropriate "chain tool" of the console, but it requires knowledge that I don't have... Some time ago I compiled the Mario64 .opk for the rg350, but simply using step-by-step instructions step, it is not something easy for someone who does not know this...

Some days ago I've looked on some github the chaintool for rg99 for OD, so I can uderstand this can be done with experience recompiling this things... In this case, I guess that the most important is to find a buddy with time and desire to do that...

Nelugamer

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2022, 09:56:15 am »

Also, the only existing FCEUX build that works on the RG99 is now attached to the first post.

I think that the link is not working, can you check it please?

v47 (OP)

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2022, 10:27:27 am »
No, that's not the latest version of Gambatte - simply click on the Gambatte link in the first post to get to the latest release (it will have the "latest" tag). There is no link for NES, you need to download the attachment (fceux_od-2.6.2-2022-05-25.cfg) and change the extension from cfg to opk.

Nelugamer

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2022, 08:01:22 am »
Oh sorry...

Now I saw the attachment... thanks!

v47 (OP)

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2022, 09:21:35 am »
No problem. Also, check this video to see how the original fw performs;

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFZyQyqhXy8" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFZyQyqhXy8</a>

So you will get MAME and SNES (not available at the moment under OD), but everything will be equally bad.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2022, 12:14:30 pm by v47 »

Nelugamer

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2022, 09:49:13 am »
Thanks,

Yes this was one of the first's videos i've saw some weeks ago. I know that Steward Fu's already checked this device some time ago, I think he has the knowledge to download the original stock firmware in order to have a backup.

Is there a way to contact him on this forum? I remember that he solved some time ago thinks like this...

v47 (OP)

« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2022, 11:06:24 am »
https://boards.dingoonity.org/profile/jutley/

You can try to send a message, but last activity is more than a year ago, I don't know..

Nelugamer

« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2022, 10:48:17 am »
https://boards.dingoonity.org/profile/jutley/

You can try to send a message, but last activity is more than a year ago, I don't know..

Thanks v47.

I've just received the console today... For the love of god... the stock firmware is... how can I describe it... a piece of big sh*t! xDD

I will start doing the upgrade process, no look back...

It's possible to play older Arcade games (mame or FBA) with the new firmware? I can't see it on the list of the first post... (sorry...)
« Last Edit: November 25, 2022, 10:50:33 am by Nelugamer »

Nelugamer

« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2022, 12:32:19 pm »
Ok, process done with the latest opendingux release from today.

But Opendingux stucks on "Setup Swap" screen, seems to be frozen here... Same with microSD card inserted.

Any suggestion?

v47 (OP)

« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2022, 12:38:49 pm »
All emulators that exist (that I know of) are linked in the first post, so if a system is not there, then it's not available (so no arcade games right now). That is the current issue with the RG99, we have a nice and shiny new firmware, but there are only a few emulators available. A few months ago we didn't even have GBA/GB/GBC emulation.

So right now we have GBA/GB/GBC (not fullspeed but workable), SMS/SMD (very nice), PCE (very nice), Lynx and Wonderswan (ok), NES (playable, but not fullspeed), and Atari7800 (depends on the game). ScummVM and DevilutionX also supposedly run ok.

No idea about the swap issue (have you tried to restart?), maybe you could report it on the OD discord - something possibly got broken in the last release. I'm currently running build 72, you can get it from here: https://github.com/OpenDingux/buildroot/actions/runs/3352984580 (you can reflash from scratch).
« Last Edit: November 25, 2022, 09:10:54 pm by v47 »

Nelugamer

« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2022, 12:46:30 pm »
Thanks v47,

I've now installed a previous version and started generating the RSA key, so I've downloaded your same version and I'm applying it now in order to have the same version of you.

Let's see what happens ;)

Thanks!

Post a new topic