So not as simple as I thought, all I'm hitting is segfaults. I had trouble with SDL setting the video but I found gameblablas' commits for the rs-97 which fixed that. I set the debug flag but this is all the output I get.
Setting scaling 1 and fullscreen=no
SDL_SetVideoMode: 320x240 @ 16bpp
SIFLoader::LoadHeader: read index of 8 sections
Loading SIF section 1 from address 004d
Loading SIF section 2 from address 044c
SIFSpritesSect: loading 490 sprites
fonts: using bitmapped from smalfont.bmp
I don't think I'm capable of fixing this. I noticed the rs90 has gdb, maybe I will try messing around with that. I suppose the least I can do is try or possibly beg someone else to solve this...