Author Topic: Guide to flash the OpenDingux Beta to the RS90 and other devices.  (Read 44602 times)

Great Crippler (OP)

For all information relevant to the status of the current OpenDingux Beta please see the link below. It is maintained by actual developers. I am simply posting a guide of how I personally installed OpenDingux on to my RS90 using Windows as an end-user.

https://boards.dingoonity.org/ingenic-jz4760-devices/state-of-opendingux-beta/

Intro: The process has been streamlined so, this guide will be much shorter than it was previously. The following steps should allow you to install the OpenDingux Beta to the RS90 and RG99. If you with to flash OpenDingux to other compatible devices, please see my notes following the guide.  I own nothing, and the risk is entirely yours.

Edit (10-7-21) Changed notes regarding Lepus in the last section.

Edit (10-4-21) Updating the guide to reflect current methods and software upgrades.

Edit (1-8-21) Just a couple of minor updates reflecting the current state of OD.

Edit (6-1-19) Running the current update OPK once you have OpenDingux completely installed will allow you to access the internal memory via USB. FTP access is no longer required.

Edit (5-17-19) More hardware versions are now supported with the current version of OpenDingux, and installing from Windows should be reasonably painless. I have upgraded the guide slightly to reflect the update.

1. With the unit powered off plug the unit in to your computer via a USB cable.

2. Power the RS-90 on while holding the "A" button to get the unit into the USB boot mode. (Same method, but hold "START" on the RG99. Be warned, the device will vibrate through the entire process.) The button may be different on your device to get it in to boot mode.

3. At this point you will need to install a driver specific to the device. Run an app called Zadig found in the link below. With your device in boot mode, you can select the driver you need from the drop down menu. Zadig can be found here.

https://zadig.akeo.ie/

4. From the link below download and extract the "odboot-client-windows" file. Please note that you will need to be logged in to Github to download this file.

https://github.com/OpenDingux/buildroot/actions/runs/1295966734

5. Download the latest build of OpenDingux for the RS90 at the link below.

http://od.abstraction.se/opendingux/latest/

6. At this point just drag and drop the RS90 update opk file on top of  the odboot-client file you extracted and a prompt should appear giving you options to install. If you are unsure of which RS90 device you have, start with the first, and use the second if that fails.

7. Follow the prompts to install OpenDingux to your device.

8. Once this is done you can use a "fat32" formatted micro sd card to store your roms or additional files.

9. At this point you can put "OPK" files for the RS-90 in the app folder internally, and they will appear on the unit ready to use. (Please note OPK files from other systems will not work. They must be compiled for the RS-90.)

10. Future updates can be installed by simply running an update OPK found at the site linked here.

http://od.abstraction.se/opendingux/latest/

Followup notes regarding other OpenDingux Devices:

The methods in this guide will work to install OpenDingux on most of the currently supported devices. The only differences being the manner of getting in to boot mode, and making sure that you download the Beta OPK specific to your device. If you wish to use this guide to install to other devices, please see the specifics below.

Lepus: J4760(B) Devices.: Putting the device in boot mode is as simple as inserting a blank SD in to the OS card slot, powering the unit on and plugging it in to your PC. SD cards were previously unreliable when it came to flashing, but that has improved. However if you have problems flashing to a specific card, trying a second card may be worth your while.

GCW0: JZ4770 Devices: In my experience these devices offer the most pleasant experience on the current Beta. Button combinations are likely to vary, but to put my RG350M in to boot mode I held "SELECT" on boot. Keep in mind that for these devices while a fresh flash of the Beta is considered ideal you can simply download the latest nightly on to a stock OS SD and update to the Beta via the latest OPK update.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2021, 12:28:30 am by Great Crippler »

Surkow

• * Administrator
Stickied. Please report any inaccuracies to the guide.

Great Crippler (OP)

Stickied. Please report any inaccuracies to the guide.

I've been trying to go along and correct anything that ends up being wrong, or redundant. Definitely let me know if anything is wrong though please.

pcercuei

• My devblog
SD cards without a name will work fine now. I fixed the flasher.

Great Crippler (OP)

SD cards without a name will work fine now. I fixed the flasher.

Edited to reflect that.

kfchow

Thanks for this.  Helped out tons.
Handhelds:
Lynx, GameGear, Gameboy, Gameboy Pocket, Gameboy Color, GB Boy Color, GBA, GBA SP AGS-001, Gameboy Micro, DS Phat, DS Lite, DSi, DSi XL, 2DS, New 3DS XL, PSP 2000, PSP Go, PS Vita, Neo Geo Pocket Color, Wonderswan Color, Coolboy RS-97, Coolboy RS-90, GPD XD 64gb, ODROID-GO, PocketSprite

ace9094

Thanks for the guide, I using Win10 Pro 64Bit followed it to the letter but hit a minor issue when running the Flash Tool....

I followed the prompts on screen, it erased all blocks successfully then got a message "Obtain Data Files from USB" I pressed A then the device turned off. I done the same procedure again and it just says "Obtain Data Files from USB" 

I left it 30 mins and still nothing... Any idea's ? Did I miss something ?

MORE INFO:

In Device Manager it shows as Ingenic JzSOC USB-DISK (Disconnected / Greyed out) When holding A and booting it stays in the same state

When booting normally screen stays black so guessing no firmware

UPDATE:

I decided to remove the device and drivers in Device Manager, that was a mistake. When I tried to reinstall the device I get an error "USB Device Malfunctioned" and it only shows as "Unknown Device Descriptor" I tried to update the driver manually but it states "No driver installed, No information about hardware"

« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 10:06:33 pm by ace9094 »
Dingoo A320, GCW0, RS-97 x2, Revo-K101, RS-90, PSP, GameGadget, New 3DS 128GB, PS Vita 200GB, RS-45, Gamebox Advance and a few other obscure devices

Great Crippler (OP)

Thanks for the guide, I using Win10 Pro 64Bit followed it to the letter but hit a minor issue when running the Flash Tool....

I followed the prompts on screen, it erased all blocks successfully then got a message "Obtain Data Files from USB" I pressed A then the device turned off. I done the same procedure again and it just says "Obtain Data Files from USB" 

MORE INFO:

In Device Manager it shows as Ingenic JzSOC USB-DISK (Disconnected / Greyed out) When holding A and booting it stays in the same state

Not a problem I've specifically seen. If I had to guess you might have a revision that's not currently supported. Unfortunately I don't think you can tell that for sure without opening the unit.

ace9094

Not a problem I've specifically seen. If I had to guess you might have a revision that's not currently supported. Unfortunately I don't think you can tell that for sure without opening the unit.

I got a unit within a week or so if it being released :) Still I always hated the bloody thing lol
Dingoo A320, GCW0, RS-97 x2, Revo-K101, RS-90, PSP, GameGadget, New 3DS 128GB, PS Vita 200GB, RS-45, Gamebox Advance and a few other obscure devices

Great Crippler (OP)

I got a unit within a week or so if it being released :) Still I always hated the bloody thing lol

I would take that to imply you have an early enough unit. (Got mine late last year, and it's correct) I just have no idea about the kind of device it's showing up as in the device manager. I'd try another cable if possible. I'd also try booting with each individual button to see if it changes in the device manager itself. I got mine to read on Windows 7 and Windows 10 just fine, but it always shows up as "JZ4750 USB Boot Device" before I get the driver installed. If none of that gets you anywhere, the next step would be to open it up and see what revision you have labeled on the board.

ace9094

I would take that to imply you have an early enough unit. (Got mine late last year, and it's correct) I just have no idea about the kind of device it's showing up as in the device manager. I'd try another cable if possible. I'd also try booting with each individual button to see if it changes in the device manager itself. I got mine to read on Windows 7 and Windows 10 just fine, but it always shows up as "JZ4750 USB Boot Device" before I get the driver installed. If none of that gets you anywhere, the next step would be to open it up and see what revision you have labeled on the board.

I'll keep trying various things, thank you for replying...

Tried:
1) Tried another cable
2) Tried all buttons
3) Tried USB 2.0 and 3.0 ports

Still to try:
1) Another machine
2) Windows 7
3) Linux VM (I'm useless on Linnux)
4) Open Unit

If all else fails
1) Purchase an LDK  ;D

LauweLoempia

MORE INFO:

UPDATE:

I decided to remove the device and drivers in Device Manager, that was a mistake. When I tried to reinstall the device I get an error "USB Device Malfunctioned" and it only shows as "Unknown Device Descriptor" I tried to update the driver manually but it states "No driver installed, No information about hardware"
Hi, I had a similar issue when flashing the unit using a Ubuntu live disk running in Virtual box. See my post on the Opendingux for RS-90 release thread. I noticed that the device actually identifies itself in 2 ways to the OS: one time as a Ingenic boot device and the when it's waiting for data again as another kind of device (I forgot how it was called). If I had to guess you are missing the driver for this second device. I would try a live cd: it did the trick for me in about 10 minutes total. See the release thread fory post with steps ..

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

v47

Considering how easy it is, I'd try flashing from linux.

1) download any 64bit linux iso (I've used Xubuntu), use any tool that converts iso images to bootable USBs to create a USB boot drive (any 8GB+ usb thumb drive should do)
2) plug the drive in, restart the computer, boot from the USB, choose "try Xubuntu"
3) once the desktop loads, download the flasher zip and extract it to a folder
4) connect the turned off RS-90 to the computer, press and hold the A button and turn it on, wait a minute or two, release
5) right mouseclick inside the folder where the flasher files are, open terminal and type sudo ./flash.sh, hit enter

The device should get detected, and the RS-90 should display the flasher screen with instructions.

ace9094

Considering how easy it is, I'd try flashing from linux.

1) download any 64bit linux iso (I've used Xubuntu), use any tool that converts iso images to bootable USBs to create a USB boot drive (any 8GB+ usb thumb drive should do)
2) plug the drive in, restart the computer, boot from the USB, choose "try Xubuntu"
3) once the desktop loads, download the flasher zip and extract it to a folder
4) connect the turned off RS-90 to the computer, press and hold the A button and turn it on, wait a minute or two, release
5) right mouseclick inside the folder where the flasher files are, open terminal and type sudo ./flash.sh, hit enter

The device should get detected, and the RS-90 should display the flasher screen with instructions.

OK Thanks, I will give it ago :)

slaanesh

• Slaanesh Dev
I got the same problem - it seems to hang on "Obtain data files from USB..."

I'm using Ubuntu within Virtualbox.

LauweLoempia

I got the same problem - it seems to hang on "Obtain data files from USB..."

I'm using Ubuntu within Virtualbox.
I had the same: turned out I had to re-link the USB device to the Virtual Box as it identifies itself differently...

slaanesh

• Slaanesh Dev
You mean at the point where it says "Obtain data files from USB..."?

EDIT: Yes.

The USB device changes from "Ingenic JZ4750 USB Boot Device" to "Ingenic odbootd"
And you need both ticked added as a USB Device Filter.

I'm flashed :-)

Thanks for your help @LauweLoempia
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 11:55:43 am by slaanesh »

LauweLoempia

Yes. Apparently the device rebooted and is no longer a Ingenic USB boot device but identifies itself differently (I forgot what it was). Due to this the device was no longer linked to the Virtual Box

LauweLoempia

You mean at the point where it says "Obtain data files from USB..."?

EDIT: Yes.

The USB device changes from "Ingenic JZ4750 USB Boot Device" to "Ingenic odbootd"
And you need both ticked added as a USB Device Filter.

I'm flashed :-)

Thanks for your help @LauweLoempia
Glad I could help

Great Crippler (OP)

Slight revisions to the guide for the update on 5-17-19. I have personally found the process to be a little less painful on Windows as a whole now. If any corrections need to be made, please let me know.

Post a new topic