Author Topic: Vice - C64 emu on RS-97 tips  (Read 419 times)

forktong (OP)

Vice - C64 emu on RS-97 tips
« on: June 11, 2019, 07:32:38 pm »
In case some people are looking for this information, I played around with Vice a bit and I have found out some things that I thought would be worth sharing :)

I also have some questions that I can't immediately find the answer to on the internet. It's hard to look for answers if most forums are about Vice on Retropie or PC, where one can attach a physical keyboard...

Tips

1. Oh no Vice freezes

If Vice locks up your RS-97 when launching, like it's frozen on the launching screen, reset your RS-97. Start up an app and close it, and try Vice again. I don't know why but this seems to work every time for me when Vice freezes my device.

2. Keys

When Vice starts, you are simply greeted by the blue C64 screen. Without a keyboard or anything you don't really know what to do next.

SELECT
Opens and closes main menu.

While in this main menu:

ARROW KEYS
To navigate (can enter <- to go back and -> to enter menus)

A
Activates an option, opens a submenu.

X
Goes back without losing changes.

START
Starts the "bind hotkey" functionality.

3. Poor performance

By default, the CRT effect is enabled. This slows down the emulation. I tested it out without sound to make sure it was the filter and not sound emulation. Disable CRT filter effect and save Vice settings.

a) Press SELECT
b) Go to Video Settings -> Render filter and highlight "None" and tap the A button
c) Press the X button twice to go back to the main menu
d) Go to Settings management and press A next to "Save current settings" so you don't have to do this every time you start up Vice

4. Audio is out of sync

By default, the sound sync is set to Flexible or something. This can be very irritating because sound often comes too late, like it's almost a second off! Set it to Exact!

a) Press SELECT
b) Go to Sound Settings and scroll down to Synchronization method
c) Highlight "Exact" and tap the A button
d) Go to Settings management and press A next to "Save current settings" so you don't have to do this every time you start up Vice

(I also set Output Mode to Mono because the RS-97 only has one speaker.)

5. Virtual keyboard

The most important thing you need is probably the Virtual keyboard. Otherwise it'll be hard getting past intros and cheat screens, that require you to press SPACE or Run/Stop, for instance.

At any time, hit SELECT, go down to Virtual keyboard and press A. You can then navigate the keyboard with your D pad and hit A again to press the key you're on. You have to close the Virtual keyboard by pressing SELECT!

It's a good idea to map this Virtual keyboard to a button:
a) Hit SELECT and move down to Virtual keyboard
b) Hit START once, just tap it, don't hold it down!
c) Now you have five seconds to choose a button, I chose the L shoulder button because it is not mapped to anything  yet and because the Virtual keyboard appears in the top left corner
d) In the main menu, go to Settings management and choose "Save hotkeys" so you don't have to do this every time you start up Vice

6. Loading games, loading snapshots

Normally you'd know this, but go into the menu. Fastest way to load a game is to immediately choose "Autostart image". This will load up a disk (or cart or tape) and start loading the first thing in the disk's directory.

I have started making snapshots of my games once I am past the intros and cheat screens by hitting SELECT once I'm in the game, then selecting "Snapshot", then "Save snapshot image". This enables me to come back to this menu and start a game via a snapshot, bypassing all the intro and cheat stuff.

7. Quit Vice

Press SELECT to go to the main menu and press A next to Quit. There is no other way.

Questions

- How can I change the default directory that Vice goes to when I want to load a game or load a snapshot? I'm stuck in /home/retrofw/emus/vice and my disks and carts are in /home/retrofw/roms/c64 - I know it's easy to move/copy them, but what I'm just wondering cause I like things neat and in place :)

- I'm trying to map hotkeys to keyboard presses by hitting START when I'm hovering over a thing in the Virtual keyboard. This actually seems to work because it then asks for a button press. But then it asks for a SHIFT mode or something. And I cannot get past that Shift mode selection. Pressing A just changes the mode... So I have not yet been able to successfully map a button to e.g. SPACE (which would be handy for games like for instance Turrican). Is there a trick to add a hotkey mapping manually to the hotkey file?
« Last Edit: June 11, 2019, 07:35:38 pm by forktong »

chevette

Re: Vice - C64 emu on RS-97 tips
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2019, 10:44:23 pm »
Thanks forktong for these tips for Vice. I set all of them on my RS-97, and it really makes a big performance improvement. Thanks again!

gameblabla

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2019, 02:53:46 pm »
I'll admit that i did not care for performance when i first ported it :' )

Would it be possible to have your configuration file forktong (or your whole directory in emus/vice) so i can include the changes ?
The source code is a huge mess and it's hard to know what does what.
I'll also profile it for an upcoming update.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 03:04:40 pm by gameblabla »

forktong (OP)

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2019, 03:14:55 pm »
Yeah I totally understand. I'll have a look at where those configs are and what changed when I changed it so that I give you the right ones. Thanks for supporting old people's computers :)

forktong (OP)

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2019, 10:06:09 pm »
Gameblabla, my current version of sdl-vicerc is here: https://file.io/PJwnSc

In the meanwhile I have figured out the easiest way to load a .D82 file is by setting Drive 8 to type "Directory". You can do so by going into the menu, go to Drive->Drive 8 Settings->Drive 8 type and select Directory there.

(D82 files are images of disks up to 1MB large, often used for collections.)

gameblabla

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2019, 12:47:21 am »
Gameblabla, my current version of sdl-vicerc is here: https://file.io/PJwnSc

In the meanwhile I have figured out the easiest way to load a .D82 file is by setting Drive 8 to type "Directory". You can do so by going into the menu, go to Drive->Drive 8 Settings->Drive 8 type and select Directory there.

(D82 files are images of disks up to 1MB large, often used for collections.)
I wish i had noticed that earlier because the link is now dead rofl....