Author Topic: UselessRS97 - Custom Firmware for the RS97  (Read 123069 times)

PaxRubrum

Re: UselessRS97 - Custom Firmware for the RS97
« Reply #600 on: October 28, 2018, 08:24:34 pm »
Guys, how do I tell if I have 1.0s with the new screen or 1.0s with an old screen? Also, does 1.41 firmware includes all service packs? Do I just install 1.41 and nothing more? Thanks.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 08:26:18 pm by PaxRubrum »

gameblabla (OP)

« Reply #601 on: October 28, 2018, 09:48:40 pm »
Guys, how do I tell if I have 1.0s with the new screen or 1.0s with an old screen? Also, does 1.41 firmware includes all service packs? Do I just install 1.41 and nothing more? Thanks.
You can't. Most 1.0S out there have the new screen. If the 1.0S new LCD firmware doesn't work, then you're lucky to own a good RS-97.
Also, firmware 1.41 does not have the SP applied. You need to do so after you flashed it.

PaxRubrum

« Reply #602 on: October 28, 2018, 11:01:30 pm »
You can't. Most 1.0S out there have the new screen. If the 1.0S new LCD firmware doesn't work, then you're lucky to own a good RS-97.
Also, firmware 1.41 does not have the SP applied. You need to do so after you flashed it.
So if i get the wrong firmware it will result in a black screen, indicating i have the unit with the "other" screen type?

gameblabla (OP)

« Reply #603 on: October 28, 2018, 11:59:50 pm »
So if i get the wrong firmware it will result in a black screen, indicating i have the unit with the "other" screen type?
Yes, either a black screen or white screen means that you're using the wrong one.

netty

« Reply #604 on: October 29, 2018, 02:47:18 pm »
Hello,
I have v1.0_S, I install Useless fw internally but it says "This device doesnt support USB mount" there is any way to boot it from internal SD card and miniUsb adapter?

gameblabla (OP)

« Reply #605 on: October 29, 2018, 09:18:32 pm »
Hello,
I have v1.0_S, I install Useless fw internally but it says "This device doesnt support USB mount" there is any way to boot it from internal SD card and miniUsb adapter?
What do you mean? On new hardware revisions, the only way to transfer roms is either via the external sd card slot or by taking out the internal sd card and reading it on your PC. This is a software (and possibly a hardware issue) and it cannot be fixed.

Yan

« Reply #606 on: October 30, 2018, 02:05:58 am »
Hi @gameblabla, could you take a look at your github? I was trying to clone https://github.com/gameblabla/rs97-fixesgames/tree/master/jinyong

but it turned out to be a
fatal: repository 'https://github.com/gameblabla/rs97-fixesgames/tree/master/jinyong/' not found
error.

I did this because this game does not work on your firmware.. :o

Jim Goose

« Reply #607 on: October 30, 2018, 04:27:44 am »
Gameblabla, PSX4ALL crashes on certain PSX games, like megaman legends 2.
Handheld Collection:

PocketC.H.I.P.
RG350

MarkTheMorose

« Reply #608 on: October 30, 2018, 02:30:01 pm »
Hello,

I'm glad it isn't just me.  I had thought it was because I run Linux on my PC instead of Windows, but I just tried on an old XP netbook and got the same.  What a shame.  The only way of adding ROMs to a unit with the internal mod, then, is to disassemble the unit to access the micro SD card.

Cralex

« Reply #609 on: October 30, 2018, 03:17:47 pm »
Hello,

I'm glad it isn't just me.  I had thought it was because I run Linux on my PC instead of Windows, but I just tried on an old XP netbook and got the same.  What a shame.  The only way of adding ROMs to a unit with the internal mod, then, is to disassemble the unit to access the micro SD card.

Another option is to put the files you want to transfer on an SD card in the external adapter, and then transfer them to the internal card using the Commander file manager application. This is what I do, although I also keep most of my games on the external card permanently, for ease of access. No, it is not as fast and elegant as USB mounting, but it is better than having to disassemble the unit all the time.

Dhelix

« Reply #610 on: November 06, 2018, 02:15:09 pm »
Hey guys,

Can anyone identify (or come close to identifying this version of pre-packaged OS based on this description and video?

Scroll to 3 min 45
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NdprcB6Rya8

Is that Useless pre-installed or a version of Next? Any guess at what version it may be from those who really know it?
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 02:21:25 pm by Dhelix »

netty

« Reply #611 on: November 06, 2018, 02:24:37 pm »
Thanks 4 answers, reGBA, GPSP and psx4all doesnt work, tried many games and nothing..

gameblabla (OP)

« Reply #612 on: November 06, 2018, 06:57:29 pm »
Thanks 4 answers, reGBA, GPSP and psx4all doesnt work, tried many games and nothing..
reGBA doesn't work on new units. GPSP, make sure you updated to the latest Service pack.
Also pcsx4all, you need to set the bios for best compatibility. There should be a seperate entry called "Settings for PCSX4ALL emu".
Launch it and set the bios in the options.

Cralex

UselessRS97 - Custom Firmware for the RS97
« Reply #613 on: November 06, 2018, 08:29:48 pm »
Hey guys,

Can anyone identify (or come close to identifying this version of pre-packaged OS based on this description and video?

Scroll to 3 min 45
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NdprcB6Rya8

Is that Useless pre-installed or a version of Next? Any guess at what version it may be from those who really know it?

If I had to guess, I?d say that it?s not Useless, although it looks very similar. By default, in Useless, the bar containing the categories and the icons for battery and such is along the left edge in Useless rather than the top, although this can be changed. Also, a backdrop representing your current selection won?t appear by default in Useless, but this can also be easily changed.

This leaves the apps. There are three versions of Cave Story in the video. Cave Story had to be fixed awhile back to remove a stuttering bug, and (I think) only the English version has been fixed so far. The fact that there are three there points to an older CFW or an older version of Useless.

Useless doesn?t include a comic viewer by default, and the theming option is called ?change skin? rather then ?change background... These are small things that point to it not being Useless.

bitrider

« Reply #614 on: November 06, 2018, 08:47:09 pm »

netty

« Reply #615 on: November 06, 2018, 11:43:54 pm »
reGBA doesn't work on new units. GPSP, make sure you updated to the latest Service pack.
Also pcsx4all, you need to set the bios for best compatibility. There should be a seperate entry called "Settings for PCSX4ALL emu".
Launch it and set the bios in the options.

I installed last 1.5 firmware wich comes with last SP6 but still doesnt Works :(

HercTNT

« Reply #616 on: November 07, 2018, 12:07:13 am »

Yan

« Reply #617 on: November 10, 2018, 09:15:39 am »
Anyone compared the pcsx4all with Steward's original v1.2 build?
It seems to me that the quality of graphic is hugely different.
As you can see, the characters (fonts) on 1.2 are way sharper, and some part of the Chinese characters are missing on 1.5 (not properly displayed).

I also noticed that the original 1.2 build can run CAPCOM vs SNK at almost a full speed, while the one in Useless 1.4/1.5 can only run at slightly higher than half speed.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 09:41:01 am by Yan »

gutiiii

« Reply #618 on: November 10, 2018, 04:37:59 pm »
hi,

There is a new revision v3, the image for version 2.1 does not work for me.

attached photo of the motherboard

Cralex

« Reply #619 on: November 10, 2018, 05:42:17 pm »
hi,

There is a new revision v3, the image for version 2.1 does not work for me.

attached photo of the motherboard

Yeah, one of those showed up in the discord, too. Go ahead and make a backup of the internal card if you haven?t already done so. Hopefully, there will be a version for 3.0 devices soon.