• HomeBoards
  • RulesRules
  • HelpHelp
  • WikiWiki
  • Donate

Author Topic: RS-97 Plus LCD Replacement  (Read 3028 times)

drbear (OP)

RS-97 Plus LCD Replacement
« on: June 03, 2020, 05:33:11 am »
I'm getting crazy with the screen burn-in problem of my RS-97 Plus, so I tried to replace the LCD unit of that.

My RS97 Plus board version is 1.0S, with 24 pins film type connector. You may use the LCD unit of Sony's WX150 DC to replace that.

(From Steward Fu's website)

It's not a difficult task, but you need extreme care of the LCD unit. It's easily broken! DON'T hit the back of the new LCD unit!

After replacement, you need to re-flash the system TF card by using LDK Square image. I used RetroFW 2.2 (version 2B). If you use the old TF with RS97 Plus image the system is unable to boot up.

No more LCD burn-in after replacement, also the new LCD is much more brighter than the old one. My RS-97 Plus is reborn.

HercTNT

Re: RS-97 Plus LCD Replacement
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2020, 06:27:26 am »
Thank you for the heads up. it makes me wonder, even if my lcd is fine on my rs97, i wonder if it's possible to put an ips panel into a non ips rs97 with the right firmware.

drbear (OP)

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2020, 07:05:34 am »
I'm unable to find a IPS LCD unit with 24 pins. Actually I think it's in the same concept, right pin assignment and right driver will make it works. If you have a RS97 anniversary version, it's worth to try to swap the LCD and make a test.

I think the LCD problem is only happens on RS97 Plus but not on RS97. Even mine one is the 60Hz version, it still like a piece of shi....
« Last Edit: June 05, 2020, 08:46:03 am by drbear »

natocccp

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2021, 08:28:00 pm »
Hello,

the Sony WX150 replacement LCD screen doesn't look to have 24 pin, at least according to these images:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Parte-di-ricambio-per-schermo-LCD-per-Sony-CyberShot-DSC-WX150-WX300-H90/253668104567?hash=item3b0fcc1977:g:Nm0AAOSwuExbVbXJ

Would you please confirm that you have used LCD screen replacement like the one from the link?

Regards

ElTopo

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2021, 07:14:29 pm »
I thought current Plus models had an IPS screen? Is that correct or are current listings of the device trying to fool buyers?
Devices:
RS-97 v2.1 (modded)

Also, if you're into Genesis stuff, check out my music!
www.youtube.com/sparkster7744

ceratophyllum

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2021, 02:16:57 pm »
I dunno about "current RG Plus" but I have one from a few years ago that looks exactly like the one above. It has a matte screen and a tendency for several pixels to get stuck from time to time. Never had any burn problem, though.

I just pulled it out of a drawer and charged it up. Still works. Yay...I guess. Not sure I can be bothered to try out some camera screen from eBay or Ali. Haven't even bothered with upgradin to RetroFW 2, since you have to take it apart to get at the uSD card.

Then again, WX150 screens are pretty cheap. But spending more money on an old ~500Mhz "Retro Game" with a fake joystick (I think it is really connected to the D-Pad.) seems pretty pointless with so many better handhelds with bigger screens and faster SoCs: RG350m/p/? and Odroid Go Advance.

Oh, what the hell. It will be slighlty less pointless with a nicer screen. I'll probably get one and post before/after pics in a few weeks
Over-the-hill Handhelds: All (3)DS(i) (XL) models, OpenPandora
Classic Handhelds: All GB(A) models
Ingenix MIPS: Retrogame, RG Plus, PAP KIII Plus,  RG300, LDK (portrait), GCW0
ARM/other: LeapsterGS, PocketGo, Retrostone, Revo K101 Plus (GBA hardware clone), GP2X F-100

----------
Finally got a GCW0!!
Should have sold that Retromini RS-90 before it broke!

stephenjwz

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2021, 01:48:05 pm »
Thanks for this post - my rs97 screen got cracked fairly quickly, I am going to give the same process a shot with a replacement screen from aliexpress, glad that hopefully it can be saved.