Author Topic: NERDS Kernel - RS-97 Custom kernel release (RetroFW 1.2 released)  (Read 27082 times)

R0ger

Re: NERDS Kernel - RS-97 Custom kernel release (RetroFW 1.0 released)
« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2019, 08:49:41 pm »
After going through the other thread I tried this kernel:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kNfrhRBS-QGbcDVECOjbWZ023cEMaF2V/view

And USB works. But it's something different ?

Edit: tried RetroFw as is .. and USB also works. I might even like it more, trying to make both USB and picodrive work now :-)

Edit2: all your IPKs works perfectly. I now run RetroFW as is, and I like it ! Thanks a lot, and looking forward for more emulators !
« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 11:20:37 pm by R0ger »

far

« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2019, 01:20:05 am »
Follow the instructions in the original post to patch Useless 1.6

Thanks ! All clear !
Still I just can't find the text you are referring to. You mean first post in THIS thread? I see nothing like text you replied with.

EDIT: never mind, found it:
https://boards.dingoonity.org/ingenic-jz4760-devices/all-rs97-firmwares-here-(internal-external)-all-systems-supported/

It was my confusion, but I'm glad you figured it out.

far

« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2019, 01:24:56 am »
Does the new 3.0 kernel work with Useless Firmware 1.6, or just the RetroFW.img? What is RetroFW? Do the ipk installers also work in Useless firmware? I would rather not switch and loose all of those installed emulators.

R0ger

« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2019, 01:05:29 pm »
Does the new 3.0 kernel work with Useless Firmware 1.6, or just the RetroFW.img? What is RetroFW? Do the ipk installers also work in Useless firmware? I would rather not switch and loose all of those installed emulators.

My experience from yesterday, with 3.0, tested emulators: Megadrive, NES, SNES, MAME, C64, Sinclair, Atari

Useless alone: emulators work, USB does not.
Useless + RetroFW kernel: USB does not work, PicoDrive (megadrive emulator) does not work.
Useless + patch from my previous post: USB works, PicoDrive (megadrive emulator) does not work.
Full RetroFW (first post this thread): USB works, you don't even have to reboot. But there are no emulators, or native games, or apps. You have to install them using IPK files, so far there is only few emulators. But Picodrive works, and the few which there are mostly those I want.

At the moment I don't know how to install emulators from Useless into Retro. Copying the files from emu directory does not work. Also Retro doesn't show external SD card in /mtn but in /media.

As I understand it Useless is not developed anymore, Retro is, but it's still new. It has potential to be better.

Today I'd like to try Useless with NERDS patch (non Retro), and to replace picodrive with IPK from RetroFw. No idea if that's gonna work.

far

« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2019, 04:26:22 pm »
Thanks R0ger.

R0ger

« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2019, 05:00:42 pm »
Seems like IPKs indeed wont work in Useless.

But also there is now like 20 emus in IPK folder (from first post this thread). OP is clearly working hard over the weekend.
So I would recommend trying full RetroFW. I guess official release is getting close.

Btw. you don't have to extend the partition with RetroFW. It will do it by itself during first boot.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 05:03:02 pm by R0ger »

odjinan

« Reply #46 on: February 04, 2019, 08:35:12 pm »
yes, most app and emu are getting ported on retroFW,  thanks all  8)

gameblabla

« Reply #47 on: February 05, 2019, 12:10:30 am »
RetroFW and Useless-RS97 are fundamentally incompatible :
RetroFW only supports the 320x240 resolution, while Useless-RS97 supports 320x480.
The former is actually a good thing, because it means that we can do straight ports with little to no patches from the Dingux, GCW0 world while the latter can require extensive patches (C-Dogs, OpenBor etc...).

So yeah, most of Useless-RS97 binaries won't work on RetroFW and vice-versa. There's also the fact that RetroFW uses uclibc, unlike Useless-RS97 which used musl.
So even for the games that used 320x240 in Useless-RS97 won't work on RetroFW anyway. (Cannonball, DLight)

It must be said though that RetroFW has some bugs. While they don't affect emulators, they definitely affect games.
OGG decoding via SDL_mixer does not work for example, as it requires extra patches for it to work. (Useless-RS97 included those but Tony switched to a stock buildroot)
That's why i have my own toolchain that makes static builds of games/emulators, not dependent on rootfs. Of course, they will only look properly on RetroFW.

So yeah guys, switch to RetroFW : it fixes a number of long standing issues, including the FAT32 partition not taking all of the space and the performance issues... The only drawback is that porting all of that stuff is going to take a while.

Also just saying, i will be providing builds for it (SMS_SDL, Oswan etc...).

R0ger

« Reply #48 on: February 05, 2019, 11:03:59 pm »
Just a short report .. UAE sometimes freezes during start (black screen). It seems that if UAE is first emu I run after boot, it happens every time. If I run pico, and UAE after that, it started fine. Only tried several times though.

Stoofa

« Reply #49 on: February 07, 2019, 01:41:14 pm »
The rar file keeps coming up as corrupted for me. Tried 2 different PC's and 2 different browsers on each.

R0ger

« Reply #50 on: February 07, 2019, 02:31:38 pm »
The rar file keeps coming up as corrupted for me. Tried 2 different PC's and 2 different browsers on each.

Seems to work fine for me. File date is today 5:45.

Stoofa

« Reply #51 on: February 07, 2019, 04:06:37 pm »
WinRAR wouldn't have it at all. 7zip worked though. Odd

Jason01

« Reply #52 on: February 08, 2019, 02:17:23 am »
How do I install this ?

Look at the original post, follow the link, download https://drive.google.com/open?id=162bNRp9c04sAycxVnj3kQE8Cthy3fNxa

Run the .bat for your version, then install the firmware image to your internal sdcard as usual.

Thanks ! But I still don't understand. What do you mean 'as usual' ? I installed Useless 1.6 for 3.0 on internal SD card.
That one has 4 gigs. This archive contains RetroFW.img, which is about half gig. Do I need RetroFW.img, or just the kernel ? Can I even use this with Useless FW ?

Follow the instructions in the original post to patch Useless 1.6

How to use:

1.Download the universal patcher and unpack to your pc anywhere.
2.Download you desired firmware and rename it to .fw
3.Run the file runmefirst.bat
4.Select stock or custom kernel.
5.Make sure you know what hardware revision you have and select the correct one in the menu by pressing the correct number.
6.It will now patch the fw.img to that device.Please wait until the terminal window closes and patching is complete.
7.flash the fw.img to your internal sdcard as you always do using etcher or any other.

The above instructions confused me.  Let me give you the instructions that worked perfectly for me on my RS-97 3.0 device:
1. Download the RetroFW.rar file from the above website.
2. Unpack the RetroFW.rar file you downloaded.  I used 7-zip and I didn't have any problems unpacking the .rar file. 
3. When you unpack the RetroFW.rar file, you'll end up with a series of .bat files and a 500 MB .img file.
4. Run the .bat file for your device.  I ran the "RetroGame_v3.0_B.bat" file since I have a 3.0 device.  This caused the included 500 MB .img file to be patched for my 3.0 device.
5.  Burn the patched .img file to your device using your favorite method.  On my Windows PC, I used Etcher.
6. When I inserted the micro SD card back into my device and started it up, the screen told me it was expanding the file system (or something like that). 
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 03:01:18 am by Jason01 »

R0ger

« Reply #53 on: February 08, 2019, 02:16:00 pm »
I would add:

- copy IPK packages of your choices to the card directly, or over USB
- run them from explorer / commander - this will install the apps / emus and add shortcuts to menu.
- ?
- profit !

Jason01

« Reply #54 on: February 09, 2019, 12:40:38 am »
Been running the new RetroFW on my 3.0 device and so far I like it alot.  Sometimes I run FBA right after I power on my device and it just sits there with the message "Launching FBA A320."  The only way for me to reset my device to press the reset button..  even pressing and holding the power button doesn't do anything in this condition.  Even after powering off my device and powering it back on, when I launch FBA right after power up, it just hangs again.

I can consistently launch FBA without any hangups if I launch commander first, browse to the external card, exit commander and then launch FBA..  I don't know why... it's like I'm kicking the device in the butt to see my card or something?  I have a 128GB external microSD card in case that helps..

R0ger

« Reply #55 on: February 09, 2019, 01:20:33 am »
Been running the new RetroFW on my 3.0 device and so far I like it alot.  Sometimes I run FBA right after I power on my device and it just sits there with the message "Launching FBA A320."  The only way for me to reset my device to press the reset button..  even pressing and holding the power button doesn't do anything in this condition.  Even after powering off my device and powering it back on, when I launch FBA right after power up, it just hangs again.

I can consistently launch FBA without any hangups if I launch commander first, browse to the external card, exit commander and then launch FBA..  I don't know why... it's like I'm kicking the device in the butt to see my card or something?  I have a 128GB external microSD card in case that helps..

I have the same issue with UAE. I solve it by launching picodrive first. And I use the original internal SD card and nothing more.

Fishcakes

« Reply #56 on: February 09, 2019, 03:53:54 am »
Looks like things are progressing well! I plan on installing this to my rs97 tonight. Will i have to install emulators separately and if so, whats available? Thanks

Jason01

« Reply #57 on: February 10, 2019, 12:00:57 am »
Take a look here:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/14bgV9f_weOz0ZAy7WdRl4i5ItYGGViK3

It's the download directory for all the .ipk files..  they are the add-ons after you install the firmware. 

Jason01

« Reply #58 on: February 10, 2019, 12:07:04 am »
Any update to when these items will be ported to the new RetroFW?
- ScummVM
- Video Player
- Mame4All

I'm wondering if the video player would work any better on RetroFW compared to previous firmwares? I couldn't get ANY video to play smoothly on the old firmware.

02k0

« Reply #59 on: February 10, 2019, 02:02:38 am »
I still do not understand how it installs ipk files in RetroFw. Could someone explain me better?

Enviado de meu Moto G (4) usando o Tapatalk