Author Topic: RS-97 cover art?  (Read 5738 times)

bartimeaus (OP)

RS-97 cover art?
« on: April 10, 2018, 05:39:52 pm »
Is it possible to use rom cover art?

If so, where do I place them and are there certain criteria for it such as orientation and dimensions?

I'm current generating my cover art using universal XML scraper.

Jutleys

Re: RS-97 cover art?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2018, 06:59:30 pm »
I know with jack's rs-97 dmenu you can.

bartimeaus (OP)

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2018, 07:28:28 pm »
I know with jack's rs-97 dmenu you can.

Is there a link or more information for this?

Jutleys

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2018, 07:35:27 pm »

bartimeaus (OP)

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2018, 07:40:01 pm »
Is there a reason why this isn't default for cfw1.3?

Jutleys

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2018, 07:43:57 pm »
Not many people like the old dmenu over gmenu2x to be honest we need something better both are extremely outdated I like something like emulation station ui.

bartimeaus (OP)

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2018, 08:04:17 pm »
So gmenu2x will not support cover art?

Jutleys

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2018, 08:08:23 pm »
You can do previews like on FBA not sure about any of the other emulator s

m1024

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2018, 08:45:27 am »
gmenu2x in CFW 1.2 does support preview images, but there is no documentation yet.

I had a quick look at the code:
- images must have 128x128
- formats: jpg, png, bmp
- naming/path: [ROMFOLDER]/previews/[FILENAME][EXTENSION]

Not sure if it would be "Tetris (E).gb.jpg" or "Tetris (E).jpg" and if png and bmp are actually working...

Here is a screenshot from Steward:
Make sure to update your skins (PS4, PSNext, PSNextDark, OldBoy and Zelda) with the latest version from time to time:
https://boards.dingoonity.org/ingenic-jz4760-devices/low-res-skins-for-gmenu2x-oldboy-zelda/

bartimeaus (OP)

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2018, 09:37:59 am »
gmenu2x in CFW 1.2 does support preview images, but there is no documentation yet.

I had a quick look at the code:
- images must have 128x128
- formats: jpg, png, bmp
- naming/path: [ROMFOLDER]/previews/[FILENAME][EXTENSION]

Not sure if it would be "Tetris (E).gb.jpg" or "Tetris (E).jpg" and if png and bmp are actually working...

Here is a screenshot from Steward:

So wait, it has to be 128x128? Will it work for all emulators?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 09:46:47 am by bartimeaus »

m1024

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2018, 10:05:31 am »
Everything larger than that is just cut off.

Just tried to create a custom profile for Universal XML Scraper. It recognizes all systems in my rom folder (sd or usb) and creates all preview images (cover/preview/etc.) in the right subfolders. Tried it out on my device and it looks good.  8)

Only thing I could not get right is file names: Currently I do not know how to modify the profile to include the rom extension in the preview file name (asdf.gb.jpg instead of asdf.jpg)...  ::)

Make sure to update your skins (PS4, PSNext, PSNextDark, OldBoy and Zelda) with the latest version from time to time:
https://boards.dingoonity.org/ingenic-jz4760-devices/low-res-skins-for-gmenu2x-oldboy-zelda/

bartimeaus (OP)

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2018, 12:19:05 pm »
Everything larger than that is just cut off.

Just tried to create a custom profile for Universal XML Scraper. It recognizes all systems in my rom folder (sd or usb) and creates all preview images (cover/preview/etc.) in the right subfolders. Tried it out on my device and it looks good.  8)

Only thing I could not get right is file names: Currently I do not know how to modify the profile to include the rom extension in the preview file name (asdf.gb.jpg instead of asdf.jpg)...  ::)

Did you try previews for GBA/SNES etc?

Also, as for the file name part, there's an easy solution of using a batch file renamer. That is if you really need it to be asdf.gb.jpg and if asdf.jpg doesn't work. Any idea about zipped roms?

m1024

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2018, 04:22:31 pm »
I tried it with GB/GBA/MD/GG/SM and it works fine. The only problem is the rom names overlapping the preview images.

To not mess up my recalbox profile in UXS I created a profile for the RS-97 (screenshot in 128x128, jpg, see attachment). You can extract it into "\Universal XML Scraper\ProfilsFiles\", select the profile from the config menu and specify the directory, where all your rom folders are located.

I also made a small batch script to rename preview files from "filename.jpg" to "filename.gba.jpg". Just drag and drop the created "previews" folder onto the bat file and enter the extension that should be inserted (e.g. gba). Be aware that this solution does not work if you have different rom extensions like smc/sfc.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 04:25:40 pm by m1024 »

bartimeaus (OP)

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2018, 04:45:38 pm »
I tried it with GB/GBA/MD/GG/SM and it works fine. The only problem is the rom names overlapping the preview images.

To not mess up my recalbox profile in UXS I created a profile for the RS-97 (screenshot in 128x128, jpg, see attachment). You can extract it into "\Universal XML Scraper\ProfilsFiles\", select the profile from the config menu and specify the directory, where all your rom folders are located.

I also made a small batch script to rename preview files from "filename.jpg" to "filename.gba.jpg". Just drag and drop the created "previews" folder onto the bat file and enter the extension that should be inserted (e.g. gba). Be aware that this solution does not work if you have different rom extensions like smc/sfc.

What do you mean by having them overlap? Any change of a image to show it?

Also do you really need it to be filename.gba.jpg even though your gba rom files are zipped?

m1024

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2018, 05:37:21 pm »
In the rom selection screen the preview image is shown behind the rom names.

That's no problem with "Lunar Legend (USA).gba", but "Legend of Zelda, The - A Link to the Past & Four Swords (Europe) (En,Fr,De,Es,It).gba" just overlaps the preview image. If you have a sequence of long rom names the preview image is not recognizable and the text is not readable...  :(

The preview feature requires this naming convention:
Ninja Five-0 (USA).gba -> Ninja Five-0 (USA).gba.jpg
SomeZipfile.zip -> SomeZipfile.zip.jpg

PS: I wish we had a "gmenuRS" where the main menu and the rom selector are redesigned from scratch...

bartimeaus (OP)

« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2018, 07:56:07 pm »
In the rom selection screen the preview image is shown behind the rom names.

That's no problem with "Lunar Legend (USA).gba", but "Legend of Zelda, The - A Link to the Past & Four Swords (Europe) (En,Fr,De,Es,It).gba" just overlaps the preview image. If you have a sequence of long rom names the preview image is not recognizable and the text is not readable...  :(

The preview feature requires this naming convention:
Ninja Five-0 (USA).gba -> Ninja Five-0 (USA).gba.jpg
SomeZipfile.zip -> SomeZipfile.zip.jpg

PS: I wish we had a "gmenuRS" where the main menu and the rom selector are redesigned from scratch...

I see, so the preview feature requires the preview image to have the file type in its file name.

I guess the cfw is starting to take off, once we get really stable emulators, a menu revamp will likely be in the works. Especially if python 1.2 is supported.

hiei

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2018, 08:20:07 pm »
This is something definitely worth to follow!

Post a new topic