• HomeBoards
  • RulesRules
  • HelpHelp
  • WikiWiki
  • Donate

Author Topic: Coolboy RS-97 (JZ4760 JZ4760B) (RetroGame 45$ Dingux handheld  (Read 550779 times)

lemmywinks

Re: Coolboy RS-97 RetroGame 45$ Dingux handheld
« Reply #340 on: January 30, 2018, 09:46:57 pm »
The new ohboy is working great, does anybody know of an SMS emulator which supports FM sound?
Handhelds:
GPD Win, GPD XD 64gb, PlayGo, RS-90, 3DS XL, DSi XL, GBA SP, GBBC Clone, Gameboy Pocket c/w screen mod, PSP Go
PC:
ASUS TUF, Medion Erazer, Toshiba Z20t, Dell Mini 9, Psion 5MX, Toshiba 3480ct
Tons of other old laptops and tablets.....

kapster

« Reply #341 on: January 31, 2018, 06:01:11 am »
I've touched a little bit more ohboy emu, now it saves and load states, and config saves are working too.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/zlp7f72blj3c860/OhBoy_retrogame_300118.rar

and this is mame, but it still needs a lot more of work :menu is buggy, is slow, lot of games crashes, but there are a lot of games too that works ok and fullscreen. tip: If you decrease sound quality and select 'none' on sync, games run better. And select 'normal' scale mode. Others can and will crash.

I've made a zip withouth the 'roms' folder, so you'll need to create it and put roms inside.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/95hc2xcdbmc8lbx/mame_retrogame_test.rar

OhBoy works great, way better than the built in emulator, especially the audio. I was able to use the "fullscreen" scaler just fine, obviously the aspect ratio isn't great but it's not terrible either.

kapster

« Reply #342 on: January 31, 2018, 06:06:19 am »
Which Mame romset works with the mame emulator?

seagal

« Reply #343 on: January 31, 2018, 08:15:02 am »
is a port of mame4all for opendingux 1.0 , so mame 0.37 is ok :)

Jack83

« Reply #344 on: January 31, 2018, 10:47:33 am »
Probably not a ton of performance from just the kernel, unless a driver for a piece of hardware is either not written, or written poorly. Kernel upgrades normally result in additional features and things working better, more secure, and stable. We will see, main point is it opens a lot of doors for new and different things to be tried out and played with. Different file systems might result in better performance for example scheduler improvements etc? If you go through the changelog from 2.6 to 4.15 there's probably a few general improvements in there somewhere

Newer or possibly just different libraries would probably offer the most performance differences. I'm going to play with some of the optimization and library options as well to see what best works for what we are doing. All that is on the toolchain and rootfs side though. In theory, that stuff can be done without a change to the kernel.

What are your thougth on the hard-float vs. soft-float? The jz4760 has a FPU, but I don't know how much the emulators rely on floating point math. My understanding is, that the fpu can be used by "just" using a compatible rootfs and recompiled emulators

SNESFAN

« Reply #345 on: January 31, 2018, 12:07:28 pm »
Probably not a ton of performance from just the kernel, unless a driver for a piece of hardware is either not written, or written poorly. Kernel upgrades normally result in additional features and things working better, more secure, and stable. We will see, main point is it opens a lot of doors for new and different things to be tried out and played with. Different file systems might result in better performance for example scheduler improvements etc? If you go through the changelog from 2.6 to 4.15 there's probably a few general improvements in there somewhere

Newer or possibly just different libraries would probably offer the most performance differences. I'm going to play with some of the optimization and library options as well to see what best works for what we are doing. All that is on the toolchain and rootfs side though. In theory, that stuff can be done without a change to the kernel.

What are your thougth on the hard-float vs. soft-float? The jz4760 has a FPU, but I don't know how much the emulators rely on floating point math. My understanding is, that the fpu can be used by "just" using a compatible rootfs and recompiled emulators
The GCW0 went through a transition of using softfloat originally then enabling hardfloat. I didn't look into why they started with soft, but they did, maybe an oversight, it seems easy enough to configure. Emulators and such saw an immediate difference once it was enabled though.

Buildroot I'm basing my work on is using hardfloat option for the rootfs and toolchain, you should be able to just compile your apps with the HF flags to make use of it.
Using Tapatalk

CliveEP

« Reply #346 on: January 31, 2018, 12:24:19 pm »
Some great development going on for this device which is really good to see. I bought one off of the back of ETA Prime's youtube video, and initially was disappointed. However, with the work that is going into it, I hope the disapointment will be temporary! My thanks to all that are using their expertise to improve the RS97.

While I have a hacked PSP which works just fine, I do love a tinker and the build quality of this thing is pretty neat, so it will be good to see it ripped apart and improved.

literallywhy

« Reply #347 on: January 31, 2018, 05:02:47 pm »
Some great development going on for this device which is really good to see. I bought one off of the back of ETA Prime's youtube video, and initially was disappointed. However, with the work that is going into it, I hope the disapointment will be temporary! My thanks to all that are using their expertise to improve the RS97.

While I have a hacked PSP which works just fine, I do love a tinker and the build quality of this thing is pretty neat, so it will be good to see it ripped apart and improved.
Well GB/C, and NES are pretty much 100% now, and the stock snes emulator is pretty decent, at the bare minimum as good as a hacked PSP. I would say that's enough to keep interest going until it's completely opened up.

kapster

« Reply #348 on: January 31, 2018, 06:55:15 pm »
Well GB/C, and NES are pretty much 100% now, and the stock snes emulator is pretty decent, at the bare minimum as good as a hacked PSP. I would say that's enough to keep interest going until it's completely opened up.

Which NES emulator are you referring to, the built in one?

literallywhy

« Reply #349 on: February 01, 2018, 12:54:44 am »

Which NES emulator are you referring to, the built in one?
nah that ones crap
I'm talking about the fceux port included with the dmenu posted earlier

dookieblush

« Reply #350 on: February 01, 2018, 04:56:04 am »
If you guys were to estimate, how long would a quality port of opendingux take to be developed?

SNESFAN

« Reply #351 on: February 01, 2018, 05:27:50 am »
If you guys were to estimate, how long would a quality port of opendingux take to be developed?
I don't really give estimates, and I work at it as a hobby mainly for myself and for learning. Everything I've done I have published, and will continue till I feel I'm done, once it's in a useable state I'll package it for others to use.

You're free to help or finish my work, or even distribute it yourself before I think it's ready, I won't be upset. But if you are waiting on me, it will be done when it's done :)

I did do a bit of work on ubiboot today, fixed some errors I introduced adding in jz4760 processor support. Learned a bit more about RAM timing and a very similar ram chip was used in the prototype gcw0's
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 05:30:43 am by SNESFAN »
Using Tapatalk

kapster

« Reply #352 on: February 01, 2018, 06:51:00 am »
Has anyone been able to setup a working Dingux toolchain in linux? I can't seem to find any reasonable instructions and I'm new to cross-compiling.

CliveEP

« Reply #353 on: February 01, 2018, 12:19:19 pm »

I would say that 8-bit will be the devices strengths for me, 16-bit just seems better on my PSP but then I do need to tweak and mess around with the settings still. Sufficed the device is far more interesting now that I have stumbled across this forum and the work that the devs are putting in to improve the RS97.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 12:35:29 pm by CliveEP »

kapster

« Reply #354 on: February 01, 2018, 08:54:58 pm »
I finally got my RS-97 from Amazon and had some time to test it. Sadly I'm not very impressed :'(

While the case itself is well made, the buttons are waaay to wobbly. I really don't know if I have a different device that you all. The shoulder buttons feel like they fall off any time   ???

And then the screen. As mentioned here, it has a 320x480 resolution. But wait, hasn't the the screen a 4:3 aspect ratio? It has! That means the screen is vertically shrunk and that's why the menu looks so off.

This is fixable: Everything has to be rendered at 320x240 (to retain correct AR), then before sending it to the screen, every line has to be doubled. Problem is that this has either be implemented in the display driver or in every app itself. No dingux software will work out of the box by just adjusting the resolution  :(

I?m confused, are you saying the screen is 320 pix wide and 480 tall, even though it?s physically wider than it is tall? I?ve been working under the assumption that it?s 480px wide. Why would a screen like this even exist?

Jack83

« Reply #355 on: February 02, 2018, 08:16:03 am »
Thats how it is. The pixels are physically twice as wide as high. Why I don't know.

In my sdlfix, I just double each line of a 320x240px screen using memcopy. Rendered on the 320x480, with half pixel height it looks correct.

For those of you who try to fix the resolution on other emulators. Don't just render at 320x480! Doing so will probably use scaling, and scaling in software is very slow! Just double the lines and you will be fine. The sdlfix is still very slow. Blitting seems to be 60% slower :o (used gpmark from here: http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/dingoo.cgi?0,0,0,0,8,614)

I tried Doom and Duke3D from the local pack floating around. All doom versions and Duke run great using sdlfix.
If you use the internal scaling of the games and set the resolution to 320x480, duke runs at crawling 15-20fps in the first level. Using sdlfix, its at 40-50fps 

pcercuei

• My devblog
« Reply #356 on: February 02, 2018, 11:55:52 am »
The GCW0 went through a transition of using softfloat originally then enabling hardfloat. I didn't look into why they started with soft, but they did, maybe an oversight, it seems easy enough to configure. Emulators and such saw an immediate difference once it was enabled though.

IIRC this was just at the very beginning, before the Special Edition and KickStarter units were out. We were just using the A320's buildroot tree at that moment. The first public versions all had hard-float support.

SNESFAN

« Reply #357 on: February 02, 2018, 12:12:46 pm »

IIRC this was just at the very beginning, before the Special Edition and KickStarter units were out. We were just using the A320's buildroot tree at that moment. The first public versions all had hard-float support.
That makes sense, thanks Paul.

I had some questions on how to calculate processor cycles for ram timing. This rs97 is using a hynix y5 variant with a slightly lower cas latency etc than the s6 hynix chip from the gcw0. My thought was the value in the header file was in relation to the bus speed, I'm sure it's more involved than that, but I'll hit you up on IRC next time I see ya.
Using Tapatalk

kapster

« Reply #358 on: February 02, 2018, 06:04:08 pm »
Thats how it is. The pixels are physically twice as wide as high. Why I don't know.

In my sdlfix, I just double each line of a 320x240px screen using memcopy. Rendered on the 320x480, with half pixel height it looks correct.

For those of you who try to fix the resolution on other emulators. Don't just render at 320x480! Doing so will probably use scaling, and scaling in software is very slow! Just double the lines and you will be fine. The sdlfix is still very slow. Blitting seems to be 60% slower :o (used gpmark from here: http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/dingoo.cgi?0,0,0,0,8,614)

I tried Doom and Duke3D from the local pack floating around. All doom versions and Duke run great using sdlfix.
If you use the internal scaling of the games and set the resolution to 320x480, duke runs at crawling 15-20fps in the first level. Using sdlfix, its at 40-50fps

I?m having trouble getting your sdl fix to work for any of the alternate emulators you provided. Does it require your dmenu hack (I didn?t install it because I didn?t want to modify the internal sad card yet)?  I edited the .sh scripts so they point to the correct location. DinguxCommander works and I execute the shell scripst from there, it seems to run something but then drops me back to commander without the emulator starting.

My external sd appears to mount in a different spot than yours unless I?m misinterpreting something. Your files expect the card at /mnt/mmc while mine appears to mount under /boot/usr/mmc. Thoughts?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 06:07:21 pm by kapster »

ruffnutts

« Reply #359 on: February 02, 2018, 06:27:10 pm »
is it possible to boot lagacy Dingux/OpenDingux Gmenu2x? I'm not very keen on Dmenu....