Author Topic: Retro Game PLUS(RS-97 PLUS)coming soon  (Read 48215 times)

02k0

Re: Retro Game PLUS(RS-97 PLUS)coming soon
« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2019, 05:24:09 pm »
Found the screwdriver. The new battery door takes a bit of work to get off as there is no longer any threading on the door itself. So the old trick of leaving the screw partly in and pulling with the screw no longer works. The seam is too tight to wedge something in without damaging the plastic, so I used the weigh of the battery instead. Just turn over and bang the edge a few times until the battery pushes the door open.

Inside is kind of boring. It says ?RG_PLUS_V1.0? and a bunch of component voltages. I?m linking to some some photos so everyone can see.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0ByZlsh73W0_SLTk0ZXp5TXRleWc
Make a v?deo showing, please.

Enviado de meu Moto G (4) usando o Tapatalk

blackz1982

« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2019, 05:29:51 pm »
Here?s a video of the screen issue in slow motion:

https://youtu.be/QUfjHkVFAd0

Weirdest thing I?ve ever seen. My gut is telling me it?s a multithreading issue, possibly down to a bug in the implementation of the second core.

I haven?t taken a screwdriver and disassembled the battery to find the version number yet. The software says V3.1224. I?ll share the number on the board once I get it opened.

The screen bevel design is similar to the original translucent model. The big difference is that they?ve added a bit of length on the right to significantly reduce light leakage. No more colored lights peeking through. Just a soft glow from the screen backlight.
Its a Picodrive? Such emulator can do it?

Отправлено с моего LLD-L31 через Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 05:32:00 pm by blackz1982 »

Timika

« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2019, 10:45:04 pm »
What is the SoC used in this RS97 plus? The same as th? rs97 "normal"?

jbanes

« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2019, 11:22:53 pm »
Its a Picodrive? Such emulator can do it?
It?s not the emulator. The issue occurs no matter which system I?m emulating. Note that this is the stock firmware, so it?s difficult to say what emulators are actually being used. Probably some really old forms of popular OSS from the Dingoo day?s.

What is the SoC used in this RS97 plus? The same as th? rs97 "normal"?

I haven?t taken it apart to check, but it?s supposed to be the 4760B that?s been used in all the later models of the RS-97 and RS-07. In other words, there?s no more or less horsepower here.

Stoofa

« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2019, 12:37:59 pm »
The biggest problem is that there?s some sort of update / tearing issue. Parts of the screen are updating independent of other parts of the screen. These updates don?t appear to be aligned with the edges of the screen and thus create trianglular tearing. This gives the impression that everything is very low frame rate and makes full screen updates like the Sega logo and the NeoGeo logo look really weird. The NeoGeo logo looks like triangles of the screen are bright and then dark whereas the Sega logo appears to be falling to pieces and stuttering.

Mine is exactly the same as this. I have faith that the custom firmware will address this or mitigate it at the very least.

jbanes

« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2019, 01:24:34 pm »
Mine is exactly the same as this. I have faith that the custom firmware will address this or mitigate it at the very least.
I?m glad to know it?s not just my unit. Part of me was worried my screen was defective. Unlikely given the behavior, but possible.

I do think the custom firmware will help. What?s not clear is if there is a hardware component to this problem. I found it very interesting to play with the home screen background. When the background is rendered without modification it looks just fine. But the moment it?s darkened by bringing up a menu, there is clear brightness banding from left to right with the bands slanted to the left.

This banding is not as obvious with the plasma tendril they picked as default background. (Perhaps why they picked it.) It gets very obvious with some of the other backgrounds. That suggests that this screen may have very poor color rendering. Or maybe it?s a sign that the real problem is that their image composition and blending library is all jacked up.

We?ll have to see when someone gets in there and figures the screen out.

Stoofa

« Reply #46 on: January 29, 2019, 02:02:23 pm »
I?m glad to know it?s not just my unit. Part of me was worried my screen was defective. Unlikely given the behavior, but possible.

I do think the custom firmware will help. What?s not clear is if there is a hardware component to this problem. I found it very interesting to play with the home screen background. When the background is rendered without modification it looks just fine. But the moment it?s darkened by bringing up a menu, there is clear brightness banding from left to right with the bands slanted to the left.

This banding is not as obvious with the plasma tendril they picked as default background. (Perhaps why they picked it.) It gets very obvious with some of the other backgrounds. That suggests that this screen may have very poor color rendering. Or maybe it?s a sign that the real problem is that their image composition and blending library is all jacked up.

We?ll have to see when someone gets in there and figures the screen out.

It's in the hands of great individuals so I live in hope

rsplus

« Reply #47 on: February 03, 2019, 11:06:15 pm »
Hi, this is my first post on the forum (relatively long time reader though).

I got an RS97 Plus recently and installed Useless97 FW on top of the stock kernel. Of course, almost nothing worked out of the box, so I've modified and rebuilt GmenuNX, couple of games and couple of emulators: Pocket/dumbSNES, ohboy and fceux.

GmenuNX works perfectly and emulators work relatively fine, but the problem is that I have some kind of ghosting/flickering on all of the emulators. I've tried switching between different screen modes/upscalers (had to modify the scaling code for the emulators a bit) and tried changing SDL VideoMode, but it didn't seem to make a difference (some components were not happy about SDL_HWSURFACE, but otherwise it didn't make any difference).

This flickering is almost invisible on ohboy, somewhat visible in Pocket/dumbSNES (depends on the game, in Super Mario it's very visible) and terribly obvious in fceux.

Before changing the firmware, I also noticed the same kind of flickering on the stock emulators so I'm wondering whether this is the problem with the stock kernel or maybe the screen/unit itself?

What's your progress guys? Will there be a CFW or custom kernel for the Plus soon, so I can compare it with my homebrew version?

jbanes

« Reply #48 on: February 03, 2019, 11:16:48 pm »
@rsplus - The problem was found to be insufficient bandwidth to the screen. It's impossible to drive the screen at 60FPS. Which explains the weird updating I showed in my slo-mo video. The frames are being updated and swapped many times while the screen is still receiving data.

The firmware developers are effectively boycotting the RS-97+ due to the screen. While you might be able to lower the frame rate enough to reduce or eliminate the weird screen shearing, it won't be a good experience. This is ultimately a hardware problem and has to be resolved by the manufacturer.

ManiaxMax

« Reply #49 on: February 07, 2019, 01:50:39 am »
I am still waiting on my plus to come in, but have a question, if I swap the screen out for the one in my regular rs-97 and flash the firmware for that version screen, will it work? If so, would I lose functionality for the analog stick? I really want the redesigned case and bigger battery..

gameblabla

« Reply #50 on: February 07, 2019, 03:10:51 am »
I am still waiting on my plus to come in, but have a question, if I swap the screen out for the one in my regular rs-97 and flash the firmware for that version screen, will it work? If so, would I lose functionality for the analog stick? I really want the redesigned case and bigger battery..
Yes, it will work. In fact, this is what Tony did to his RS-97 Pro. It's something i would recommend if you insist on using the Pro.
Analog stick is mapped to the Dpad (digital only) so it is useless, much like the way it's done on the PAP K3.
⚠ WARNING ⚠
If you are using any of my forks, emulators or ports, you are being influenced by propaganda !

jbanes

« Reply #51 on: February 07, 2019, 03:55:21 am »
Yes, it will work. In fact, this is what Tony did to his RS-97 Pro. It's something i would recommend if you insist on using the Pro.
Analog stick is mapped to the Dpad (digital only) so it is useless, much like the way it's done on the PAP K3.

sed s/Pro/Plus/g < post.txt

ManiaxMax

« Reply #52 on: February 07, 2019, 10:25:08 am »

Thank you so much, this is what I will do then! Considering that many do drastic  modifications to allow for the bigger battery, along with the new case eliminating the useless ports and no cartridge slot, this will be well worth it to me.

Stoofa

« Reply #53 on: February 07, 2019, 04:24:32 pm »

Thank you so much, this is what I will do then! Considering that many do drastic  modifications to allow for the bigger battery, along with the new case eliminating the useless ports and no cartridge slot, this will be well worth it to me.

Let us know how you get on if you don't mind mate

ManiaxMax

« Reply #54 on: February 07, 2019, 10:26:25 pm »

Let us know how you get on if you don't mind mate

Will do! my tracking # says it will be in Tuesday of next week, looking forward to trying it out

Jamie_W

« Reply #55 on: February 08, 2019, 01:25:34 pm »
@rsplus - The problem was found to be insufficient bandwidth to the screen. It's impossible to drive the screen at 60FPS. Which explains the weird updating I showed in my slo-mo video. The frames are being updated and swapped many times while the screen is still receiving data.

The firmware developers are effectively boycotting the RS-97+ due to the screen. While you might be able to lower the frame rate enough to reduce or eliminate the weird screen shearing, it won't be a good experience. This is ultimately a hardware problem and has to be resolved by the manufacturer.

Well I should have done my research I guess! My RS-97 Plus just arrived and it's awful. The screen tears on everything and it feels too slow, things are clipping off the edges of the screen and the sound is so poor. This was not in any way what I was expecting after watching all the videos of the RS-97.

Returning mine straight away for a refund and completely put-off by the unit now. Considering a jump up to the GDP XD Plus, it's more expensive but the RS-97 has burned me now!
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 01:28:52 pm by Jamie_W »

lazanti

« Reply #56 on: February 09, 2019, 12:52:55 pm »
With Tony's CFW:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oe-5DegDtY4

I don't see any issues  8)

Elegubiel

« Reply #57 on: February 10, 2019, 02:52:44 pm »
This firmware is not avaible yet in public? Got rs97 plus and the screen is total trash

npaladin2000

« Reply #58 on: February 10, 2019, 04:31:16 pm »
I hope Tony releases that firmware soon. Otherwise I'm going to try the screen swap thing myself. 
Join the RetroGameHandhelds Discord: https://discord.gg/p4uRmCd

Partitipate in the RetroGameHandhelds GitHub, Wikis and FAQs: https://github.com/retrogamehandheld

ManiaxMax

« Reply #59 on: February 11, 2019, 11:48:32 pm »
Bad news everyone, I was so excited to try swapping the screen out with my RS-97 v2.0 screen and it was a completely different ribbon cable (smaller, different pin layout), the connector on the motherboard was moved, the pin layout for the old connector still exists on the pcb...I am pretty bummed out at this point, does anyone know if the ribbon connector is the same for all version screens on the OG RS-97?

PS. The screen on the plus is as awful as everyone says....real shame because they did so much right.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 11:57:20 pm by ManiaxMax »

Post a new topic