Author Topic: Retro Game PLUS(RS-97 PLUS)coming soon  (Read 48215 times)

Skelton-retired

Re: Retro Game PLUS(RS-97 PLUS)coming soon
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2019, 04:39:42 pm »
They should have used a cheapo ARM rather than the same ingenic again.....
Ingenic cheap, have high perfomance/energy consumption.

Отправлено с моего LLD-L31 через Tapatalk

High performance.... no. Even the ultra old ARM in the openpandora was faster. Probably even the old allwinner a13 is faster and costs 1 dollar (what many chinese manufactureres include in their pandoras box 6s and wtc). Also, most emus would benefit from using ARM than having to rewrite MIPS dynarecs. I guess they use ingenic because opendingux is done, and is easy to adapt gcw zero or dingoo ports to the new ingenic, as a convenience, but even the 4770 of GCW Zero is quite limited and struggles with lot of emus. Vivante Gpus don?t help either.

I don't  know, maybe is just me, but if a Plus version is the same specs with a questionable analog... I don't think as a great upgrade.
Ratio perfomance/energy consumption is very great. On 2000 mah accumulator about 7 hours game. Old Arm so can?

Yep, an a13 most probably can. And even if it's5 hours or so I think the difference in performance is better than battery time. But just my ioinion, I am not trying to convince the company making these devices, just making suggestions.
Retired

arthfader

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2019, 05:23:37 pm »
will we be able to run useless on this?

Jutleys

« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2019, 11:35:57 am »
I have useless working on this but waiting for custom kernel and fully ported emulators and games then i will release a firmware and may be even a pymenu firmware too for it.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 05:30:28 pm by Bitboy »

LauweLoempia

« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2019, 05:29:17 pm »
Great work @Bitboy ! I would love to compare the RS-97 PLUS to the original model, especially the screens ^__^

Eurynomos

« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2019, 05:18:43 am »
anyone tried CPS3 and PGM in FBA emulation for this?

diygamemodz (OP)

« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2019, 02:27:11 am »
Great work @Bitboy ! I would love to compare the RS-97 PLUS to the original model, especially the screens ^__^

https://youtu.be/FkMZiQwiWnk

Retrogame plus、retrogame、retrogame、RS-97 The screen contrast
DIYGameModz
DIY電玩主機改造社

LauweLoempia

« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2019, 07:49:31 pm »
Thanks for the video! It looks on par with the original RS-97 only slightly bigger.... or is it me  ???
It does look like the 2.1 model has slightly darker screen...

lazanti

« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2019, 11:12:09 am »
Tony has made a CFW for this device. So far GBA and PS1 have been improved a lot :)

VanZan

« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2019, 11:24:24 am »
Interesting. I thought he was unhappy with the device's screen and was refusing to do anything with it until they changed them.

02k0

« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2019, 01:03:46 pm »
Tony has made a CFW for this device. So far GBA and PS1 have been improved a lot :)
It seems that Jutley's OpenDingux already works perfectly, at least in version 1.3. I saw a store on Taobao selling this version already with the OpenDingux Firmware installed.

Enviado de meu Moto G (4) usando o Tapatalk

hi-ban

« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2019, 01:45:30 pm »

Link?

lazanti

« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2019, 06:50:40 pm »

Link?
https://tieba.baidu.com/p/6013832360?pn=1

It will be released around 02.01 :)

jbanes

« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2019, 01:58:28 am »
So mine just arrived from China today. Initial impressions are good. The console feels heavier, more substantial, and cleaner than the previous version. There?s a reset button instead of a hole, the SD Card slot looks much nicer, and the analog nub appears to be installed well. The only problem I have with it might be a surprise: the screen!

The screen is nice and bright. So it has that going for it. I?m not a huge fan of the lowered vertical resolution. At least in the default firmware, many games looks ugly due to scaling issues. This would probably be solved in the custom firmware.

The biggest problem is that there?s some sort of update / tearing issue. Parts of the screen are updating independent of other parts of the screen. These updates don?t appear to be aligned with the edges of the screen and thus create trianglular tearing. This gives the impression that everything is very low frame rate and makes full screen updates like the Sega logo and the NeoGeo logo look really weird. The NeoGeo logo looks like triangles of the screen are bright and then dark whereas the Sega logo appears to be falling to pieces and stuttering.

Hoping this is just a software issue. Anyone know if there?s firmware for this yet?

vermillion

« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2019, 09:32:06 am »
So mine just arrived from China today. Initial impressions are good. The console feels heavier, more substantial, and cleaner than the previous version. There?s a reset button instead of a hole, the SD Card slot looks much nicer, and the analog nub appears to be installed well. The only problem I have with it might be a surprise: the screen!

The screen is nice and bright. So it has that going for it. I?m not a huge fan of the lowered vertical resolution. At least in the default firmware, many games looks ugly due to scaling issues. This would probably be solved in the custom firmware.

The biggest problem is that there?s some sort of update / tearing issue. Parts of the screen are updating independent of other parts of the screen. These updates don?t appear to be aligned with the edges of the screen and thus create trianglular tearing. This gives the impression that everything is very low frame rate and makes full screen updates like the Sega logo and the NeoGeo logo look really weird. The NeoGeo logo looks like triangles of the screen are bright and then dark whereas the Sega logo appears to be falling to pieces and stuttering.

Hoping this is just a software issue. Anyone know if there?s firmware for this yet?
Just out of interest, which hardware revision did you get?

blackz1982

« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2019, 10:03:48 am »

Not yet. Maybe 02.01.

npaladin2000

« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2019, 03:22:37 pm »

Ordered one myself, can't wait. I heard the firmware should be here around 2/1. Question: on some of the prototypes the screen was bare. Is yours bare or is there a cover? I have enough unused TPU screen protectors where I could probably rig something but I'm wondering if I'll need to bother.
Join the RetroGameHandhelds Discord: https://discord.gg/p4uRmCd

Partitipate in the RetroGameHandhelds GitHub, Wikis and FAQs: https://github.com/retrogamehandheld

jbanes

« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2019, 03:56:21 pm »
Here?s a video of the screen issue in slow motion:

https://youtu.be/QUfjHkVFAd0

Weirdest thing I?ve ever seen. My gut is telling me it?s a multithreading issue, possibly down to a bug in the implementation of the second core.

I haven?t taken a screwdriver and disassembled the battery to find the version number yet. The software says V3.1224. I?ll share the number on the board once I get it opened.

The screen bevel design is similar to the original translucent model. The big difference is that they?ve added a bit of length on the right to significantly reduce light leakage. No more colored lights peeking through. Just a soft glow from the screen backlight.

jbanes

« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2019, 04:33:38 pm »
Found the screwdriver. The new battery door takes a bit of work to get off as there is no longer any threading on the door itself. So the old trick of leaving the screw partly in and pulling with the screw no longer works. The seam is too tight to wedge something in without damaging the plastic, so I used the weigh of the battery instead. Just turn over and bang the edge a few times until the battery pushes the door open.

Inside is kind of boring. It says ?RG_PLUS_V1.0? and a bunch of component voltages. I?m linking to some some photos so everyone can see.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0ByZlsh73W0_SLTk0ZXp5TXRleWc

Post a new topic