• HomeBoards
  • RulesRules
  • HelpHelp
  • WikiWiki
  • Donate

Author Topic: Retro Game PLUS(RS-97 PLUS)coming soon  (Read 46508 times)

diygamemodz (OP)

Retro Game PLUS(RS-97 PLUS)coming soon
« on: December 20, 2018, 09:25:57 pm »
Retro Game Plus Screen visibility test
Official machine coming soon.......

https://youtu.be/65V5u4h-QOk

https://youtu.be/jDodkq3B-PU
« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 01:19:24 am by diygamemodz »
DIYGameModz
DIY電玩主機改造社

Phawx

Re: Retro Game PLUS(RS-97 PLUS)coming soon
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2018, 08:19:02 pm »
Might as well share my video in here as well :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUPZiwt3v70

Soul_Est

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2018, 10:06:10 pm »

That is excellent. It's pretty close to what many of us were hoping for. I hope the the release version of the RS-97+ has a naked LCD like the previous versions if they must do so. The one on the RS-97+ in your video looked like it had a matte overlay on top.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

ace9094

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2018, 12:03:40 am »

Thanks for the video, I look forward to more info...

Just curious (sorry if I missed it in the video) - Any idea what full the specs are ? RAM, Chipset etc etc

Thanks
ace
Dingoo A320, GCW0, RS-97 x2, Revo-K101, RS-90, PSP, GameGadget, New 3DS 128GB, PS Vita 200GB, RS-45, Gamebox Advance and a few other obscure devices

Soul_Est

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2018, 12:16:08 am »

Thanks for the video, I look forward to more info...

Just curious (sorry if I missed it in the video) - Any idea what full the specs are ? RAM, Chipset etc etc

Thanks
ace
After reading between the lines of what he said, it seems that the RS-97+ is using an Ingenic JZ4760 or JZ4760B like before. I'm holding out hope for one with an Ingenic JZ4770 though.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

renejr902

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2018, 02:06:58 am »
i hope for a 3.5'' screen size. but the youtube videos dont seem to show that :(

jbanes

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2018, 07:35:33 pm »
Very interesting. Looks like they addressed a number of key issues.

- Larger battery
- Internal SD card accessible under the battery
- External SD slot built into the case rather than being on a cartridge (bet that saved some money!)
- 320x240 screen
- Better viewing angles
- Analog stick (!)

While I think the screen change is the right thing to do, I'm a little disappointed. The higher vertical resolution made vertical scaling look pretty good without blending. Still, it's a decent exchange for an overall better panel.

The analog stick is a welcome addition. It would make a very good stand-in for a mouse or traditional joystick. (Cyberia, here we come! ;))

I have two key concerns:

1. I'm hoping it's truly an analog stick and not wired up as a digital stick. It's fine if it emulates a digital stick in the shipped firmware. As long as in hardware it's still analog.

2. The stick is highly usable. These sticks have often been mounted poorly, leading to sticking and other usability issues. The PowKiddy X16 as an example (which I'm pretty sure is manufactured by RenShun) has large holes under the sticks. This leads to the edge of the mushroom cap getting stuck inside the hole. The motion of the stick doesn't require this much space, so it was probably a manufacturing shortcut. Also, pressing too hard can cause centering and sticking issues. It doesn't take much force to cause this.

Altogether, I'm incredibly pleased to see RenShun engage the community like this and create a device that better suits our needs. If you guys read this: Way to go RenShun!  8)

ace9094

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2018, 07:51:43 pm »
Altogether, I'm incredibly pleased to see RenShun engage the community like this and create a device that better suits our needs. 8)

You would think all of the companies that create these type of devices would do the same and embrace the community, they would sell more units over all, as they do not release software titles separate then hardware is surely where they make the money.

This is why I feel like the RS-90 Gameboy clone is so poor as it has been made difficult for the Devs to do anything with it. The stock firmware is normally mediocre on there devices, but they come alive when the Dev's get hold of them and the true potential is unveiled.
Dingoo A320, GCW0, RS-97 x2, Revo-K101, RS-90, PSP, GameGadget, New 3DS 128GB, PS Vita 200GB, RS-45, Gamebox Advance and a few other obscure devices

jbanes

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2018, 04:49:07 pm »
You would think all of the companies that create these type of devices would do the same and embrace the community, they would sell more units over all, as they do not release software titles separate then hardware is surely where they make the money.

There are a couple reasons for this.

• These emulation consoles started as "MP4 players" targeted at the Chinese market. Video games used to be illegal in China, so they'd be a bit sneaky about including the gaming functionality. When China de-regulated video games in 2015, the "MP4 Players" flipped their advertising to be clear gaming systems. Through that lens, the attractive "Retro gaming" systems like RS-90. RS-97, and RS-07 make a lot of sense. I very much doubt anyone had expected these systems to become so popular in the states.
  • Keep in mind that Youtube and social media sites are blocked in China. Companies like RenShun thus have no connection back to their US customers. They mostly try to interpret feedback they get from custom factory orders and distributors in order to improve their products. In fact, the strongest feedback for these factories is what sells and what doesn't. Not exactly an exact science.
  • Western ideas around collaboration and Open Source don't make a lot of cultural sense to these Chinese factories. They're very steeped in the ideas of "Makers" at the moment, which is interpreted as everyone takes from each other and improves upon what the last guy did. Those improvements are very evolutionary in nature and are often dead-ends. The ideas "community" around Open Source don't make a lot of sense over there. Here are some good videos that help explain the situation:

Naomi Wu at COSCon 2018 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mt1OLgGIqhc
    Shenzhen: The Silicon Valley of Hardware - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGJ5cZnoodY
  • The mentality in Shenzhen is very hardware focused. If you notice, the number one problem with the RS-97 is really the software. The Dingoo software "works", but just barely. In the west we're much more focused on hacking the software. These are very different perspectives, to the point where Shenzhen has no particular reason to try and make hacking the software easier. As long as the hardware is hackable, right?

(The internal SD card that started in the PAP KIII and carried over to the RS-97 was probably a fluke decision that just happened to make these super-interesting devices.)

What's really cool is that we have a really good setup at the moment. If we could just marry the software-focus of the west with the hardware-focus of the east into a solid feedback loop, we could end up with some really amazing devices!

ChrisRR

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2018, 10:42:12 am »
I wish they would've switched out the mini usb for micro usb.  It's the only device which isn't mini usb or usb C nowadays so I need to keep the cable about

taciturasa

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2019, 02:48:31 pm »
Just for clarification - is the 360 nub on the plus hardwired to emulate the dpad or will we be able to use it separately with CFW?

ManiaxMax

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2019, 04:54:59 pm »
Does anyone have a link to a site in English that I can order from? I am wanting to snag one quick

blackz1982

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2019, 05:03:01 pm »
Does anyone have a link to a site in English that I can order from? I am wanting to snag one quick
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Powkiddy-Retro-Handheld-Game-Console-Player-16GB-3-inch-Portable-Mini-Video-Gaming-Player-3000-Games/32967827816.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.62d94c4dpzNSrY

Отправлено с моего LLD-L31 через Tapatalk

ManiaxMax

Skelton-retired

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2019, 02:42:59 pm »
They should have used a cheapo ARM rather than the same ingenic again.....
Retired

blackz1982

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2019, 03:21:01 pm »
Ingenic cheap, have high perfomance/energy consumption.

Skelton-retired

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2019, 03:36:45 pm »

High performance.... no. Even the ultra old ARM in the openpandora was faster. Probably even the old allwinner a13 is faster and costs 1 dollar (what many chinese manufactureres include in their pandoras box 6s and wtc). Also, most emus would benefit from using ARM than having to rewrite MIPS dynarecs. I guess they use ingenic because opendingux is done, and is easy to adapt gcw zero or dingoo ports to the new ingenic, as a convenience, but even the 4770 of GCW Zero is quite limited and struggles with lot of emus. Vivante Gpus don?t help either.

I don't  know, maybe is just me, but if a Plus version is the same specs with a questionable analog... I don't think as a great upgrade.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 03:38:30 pm by skelton »
Retired

blackz1982

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2019, 04:29:13 pm »

High performance.... no. Even the ultra old ARM in the openpandora was faster. Probably even the old allwinner a13 is faster and costs 1 dollar (what many chinese manufactureres include in their pandoras box 6s and wtc). Also, most emus would benefit from using ARM than having to rewrite MIPS dynarecs. I guess they use ingenic because opendingux is done, and is easy to adapt gcw zero or dingoo ports to the new ingenic, as a convenience, but even the 4770 of GCW Zero is quite limited and struggles with lot of emus. Vivante Gpus don?t help either.

I don't  know, maybe is just me, but if a Plus version is the same specs with a questionable analog... I don't think as a great upgrade.
Ratio perfomance/energy consumption is very great. On 2000 mah accumulator about 7 hours game. Old Arm so can?

Post a new topic
Post a new topic