Author Topic: Questions operation system for RS97  (Read 739 times)

gamer87 (OP)

Questions operation system for RS97
« on: May 20, 2020, 12:38:29 pm »
What is the best and most updated operating system (firmware) and emulators for RS97? is any still in development?

I know 3 systems but I don't know which is the best

blackz1982

Re: Questions operation system for RS97
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2020, 10:05:42 pm »
Retrofw

Отправлено с моего HRY-LX1 через Tapatalk

gamer87 (OP)

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2020, 08:16:30 pm »
1) retrofw is the best firmware for RS-97 has the most optimized and updated emulators? I know the native system, the dingux and the retrofw

2) is it possible to find out what is the board version of my RS-97 Plus without opening the console and removing the screws?

3) is it possible to install the retrofw on the internal card without having to open the console and remove the screws? install via USB cable

gamer87 (OP)

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2020, 05:19:41 pm »
Up

gameblabla

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2020, 05:22:12 pm »
1) retrofw is the best firmware for RS-97 has the most optimized and updated emulators? I know the native system, the dingux and the retrofw
Yes, use RetroFW 2.1 in particular. You can use the OPKs and my older IPKs releases as well. (Personally i'm slowly updating them but it takes time)

RetroFW 2 also supports the IPU, which saves a ton of CPU time that would have be spent for upscaling or downscaling.
(So you will gain 3-4 FPS in some emulators)

It also properly supports TV out, something that was removed from the first RetroFW release as it was temporarily removed.

2) is it possible to find out what is the board version of my RS-97 Plus without opening the console and removing the screws?
If the screen doesn't have smooth movement or just tears in general, you have the bad RS-97 Plus.
Otherwise, you most likely have the good one. I mean, the horrible screen is pretty much noticeable.
I believe there are other differences as well but i forgot.

3) is it possible to install the retrofw on the internal card without having to open the console and remove the screws? install via USB cable
It is possible on the older RS-97s revision but for some reasons on the consoles with the JZ4760B soc, they disabled the feature to flash it from USB. (This could have been fixed on the IPS models but not sure)
RetroFW added some sort of USB debugging but last time i tried it wasn't reliable.
Looks like you will have to take out that sd card, that's what most users do.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 05:24:19 pm by gameblabla »

gamer87 (OP)

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2020, 09:28:38 pm »
1) I have a technical friend in electronics and he said that installing firmware other than the original firmware UselessRS97 non-original firmware decreases the useful life of the device RS-97, less useful life of the capacitors and other components is this information true? firmware non-original stress the components?

2) Whenever I update a new firmware, do I have to open the device and remove the internal card?

gameblabla

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2020, 01:39:43 pm »
1) I have a technical friend in electronics and he said that installing firmware other than the original firmware UselessRS97 non-original firmware decreases the useful life of the device RS-97, less useful life of the capacitors and other components is this information true? firmware non-original stress the components?
Absolute utter bullshit. Using RetroFW 2 does not indirectly or directly "decrease life expectancy"  or whatever nonesense he's talking about.
The only potential issues that were later fixed in RetroFW 2.1+ were TV out not supported in RetroFW 1.x and RetroFW 2.0 not working properly with saves for some apps. I tried the latest RetroFW 2.2 release and all of these issues were fixed for me, with the addition of IPU support and triple buffering as well as TV out, something my older firmware Useless did not support. (but it did support TV out like the original kernel)

There's no reason to use Useless anymore. Some people complained that the PocketSNES build was faster on Useless but that's because it was not properly profiled. As soon as this is done and a new build is released, you can forget about the mess that was with my Useless firmware and the fact i had to deal with no kernel source code (at the time).

2) Whenever I update a new firmware, do I have to open the device and remove the internal card?
As far as i recall, even though partial updates could be in theory possible, for now you have to manually remove the card.
At least you can add new ports & games to your device without having to remove your internal card.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 02:01:20 pm by gameblabla »

gamer87 (OP)

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2020, 05:18:13 pm »
Absolute utter bullshit. Using RetroFW 2 does not indirectly or directly "decrease life expectancy"  or whatever nonesense he's talking about.
The only potential issues that were later fixed in RetroFW 2.1+ were TV out not supported in RetroFW 1.x and RetroFW 2.0 not working properly with saves for some apps. I tried the latest RetroFW 2.2 release and all of these issues were fixed for me, with the addition of IPU support and triple buffering as well as TV out, something my older firmware Useless did not support. (but it did support TV out like the original kernel)

There's no reason to use Useless anymore. Some people complained that the PocketSNES build was faster on Useless but that's because it was not properly profiled. As soon as this is done and a new build is released, you can forget about the mess that was with my Useless firmware and the fact i had to deal with no kernel source code (at the time).

As far as i recall, even though partial updates could be in theory possible, for now you have to manually remove the card.
At least you can add new ports & games to your device without having to remove your internal card.

1) Does using any custom firmware other than the original Useless not reduce the life expectancy of the RS97 board components, battery and screen? custom firmware does not force the device to work with more wear and tear?

2) in future RetroFW updates will it be possible to format the internal card and update the system without always opening the device?

3) Are you the official creator of RetroFW?

4) In RS97 is it possible to achieve a perfect emulation of Snes, Mega Drive and Arcade in the 90s?

gamer87 (OP)

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2020, 04:06:26 pm »
Up

gameblabla

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2020, 03:30:38 am »
1) Does using any custom firmware other than the original Useless not reduce the life expectancy of the RS97 board components, battery and screen? custom firmware does not force the device to work with more wear and tear?
No, because by default its set to 528 Mhz, the lowest default clock speed. Useless sets it to also 600 Mhz i think but i think i changed it to 528Mhz, i forgot.

2) in future RetroFW updates will it be possible to format the internal card and update the system without always opening the device?
As of now no and i don't work on RetroFW.

3) Are you the official creator of RetroFW?
No (see the drama about reGBA in offtopic), but i did make Useless.

4) In RS97 is it possible to achieve a perfect emulation of Snes, Mega Drive and Arcade in the 90s?
Megadrive emulation thanks to Picodrive is pretty good but honestly it's thrash for SNES and especially arcade titles. Some people might be happy with some frameskip, some will find it unacceptable. The JZ4760/B chip simply lacks power for that.

HercTNT

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2020, 07:28:43 am »
I concur you should use retrofw 2.1. I upgraded to 2.2 and while it seems to work very good overall, several games stop functioning. Gameblabla's port of openjazz that fixes saves no longer functions as well as their are problems with powder, gmu, and mxplayer amongst other software. For most people until those issues are resolved with retrofw 2.2 I would continue to use 2.1.
Also, i'm not sure how tv out is supposed to function, but when i hook up my tv out cable, it is not recognized. I'ts possible that feature is also not working in Retrofw 2.2. I would need other people to test this and make sure it's not just me doing something wrong.

also gamer87 i have been using custom firmware from useless firmware to retrofw for over two years with zero issues on three different rs97's so i would not worry about hardware issues.

gamer87 (OP)

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2020, 12:24:59 pm »

1) if the firmware makes the processor go further than the 528 Mhz processor and consumes more RAM and battery it forces the hardware to have a higher wear and consequently the useful life of the hardware is reduced, does RetroFW worry about that?

2) Who works here at RetroFW? I could give the suggestion to update or change the firmware without the need to open the device but via the USB cable or the external card

3) gameblabla are you the creator of Useless? it is a good system and does not cause any wear on the hardware because it was made specifically for RS97 hardware

4) you said that the Mega Drive emulation is good but because of the processor, the Snes and Arcade emulation from the 90s will never be a good emulation?

5) I have two units of RS97, one unit I constantly play the other unit is kept, what tips to conserve and preserve all the electronics of the unit that is stored?

HercTNT

« Reply #12 on: Yesterday at 01:23:43 am »

1) if the firmware makes the processor go further than the 528 Mhz processor and consumes more RAM and battery it forces the hardware to have a higher wear and consequently the useful life of the hardware is reduced, does RetroFW worry about that?

As Gameblabla already answered, it does not work like that. In low power cpu's such as these the speed of the chip is set below max tolerance on purpose to save battery. the tolerances of the onboard components including the ram are not all the same. The ram and cpu are not being stressed at all. Raising clock speeds at most will shorten battery time. My units run at 600mhz all the time with zero issues. should the unit fail, as some have, it's usually do to poor construction such as cold solder joints, or substandard components.

you have asked the same question three times, accept the answer.

gamer87 (OP)

« Reply #13 on: Yesterday at 02:06:53 am »
2) Who works here at RetroFW? I could give the suggestion to update or change the firmware without the need to open the device but via the USB cable or the external card

3) gameblabla are you the creator of Useless? it is a good system and does not cause any wear on the hardware because it was made specifically for RS97 hardware

4) you said that the Mega Drive emulation is good but because of the processor, the Snes and Arcade emulation from the 90s will never be a good emulation?

5) I have two units of RS97, one unit I constantly play the other unit is kept, what tips to conserve and preserve all the electronics of the unit that is stored?

a330boy

« Reply #14 on: Yesterday at 03:37:36 am »

i put mine in the microwave for about 1 minute .. it helps to keep the electrons flowing

HercTNT

« Reply #15 on: Yesterday at 04:35:43 am »

i put mine in the microwave for about 1 minute .. it helps to keep the electrons flowing

LOL solid answer ;)

gameblabla

« Reply #16 on: Yesterday at 09:40:30 am »
I like how you just remove the question entry and make the same post again without your other questions.
I mean gee, don't be a dense boy.

They know and are aware of that already, no need to remind them.
Btw, you should redirect your complaints about RetroFW to pingflood and jbanes but so far they were not cooperative. Also they lied about opening up the kernel source code early this year (they only did so for ReGBA) so good luck making your own changes to it.

Thanks but no, it's nothing special. None of the CFWs cause wear and tear unless maybe you overclock it to insane levels for a long period of time. I've never heard of someone having an RS-97 die on them due to overclocking though. You are most likely to break your screen instead.

Do you even read what i just told you earlier or are you just desperate ?
There is no way, unless someone makes a trimmed down arcade emulator with updates to the latest romsets or in case of the SNES, improve the speed of things considerably with a MIPS JIT for the 65816 processor etc...
Things that few if anybody will bother. Now, they did do that for Picodrive but you get my point.

I would just replace the internal sd card since they are finicky and break over time.

gamer87 (OP)

« Reply #17 on: Yesterday at 11:33:54 am »

1) In which forum can I ask pingflood and jbanes if they are the real creators and developers of RetroFW?

2) Do you as the creator of Useless recommend changing to the best firmware available, which is RetroFW? about overcloking no firmware does it automatically?

3) the arcade emulation i mean is from 90s games like sunsetriders, kof 98, teenage mutant ninja turtles etc. does this kind of emulation and Snes emulation requires more powerful hardware than RS97 to emulate with quality? is it something that can't be solved with firmware updates?

4) To preserve and preserve a saved RS97, is it necessary to remove the card? is the battery, screen and the rest of the electronics possible to store in a backup device?

kndcds

« Reply #18 on: Yesterday at 12:08:38 pm »

1) In which forum can I ask pingflood and jbanes if they are the real creators and developers of RetroFW?

2) Do you as the creator of Useless recommend changing to the best firmware available, which is RetroFW? about overcloking no firmware does it automatically?

3) the arcade emulation i mean is from 90s games like sunsetriders, kof 98, teenage mutant ninja turtles etc. does this kind of emulation and Snes emulation requires more powerful hardware than RS97 to emulate with quality? is it something that can't be solved with firmware updates?

4) To preserve and preserve a saved RS97, is it necessary to remove the card? is the battery, screen and the rest of the electronics possible to store in a backup device?
Dude, why so childish, are you 5 years old?  I believe that all developers and members of this forum are expecting more specific questions.  That, by the way, everything you are able to do, has already been answered, not only in this forum, but also in other places, therefore, stop being lazy.

Enviado de meu moto g(7) play usando o Tapatalk

a330boy

« Reply #19 on: Today at 06:48:14 am »

i store mine in the refrigerator and when I want to play i just reenable all the electrons putting into the microwave for about 1 minute ..
since i started doing this the battery in my device is lasting about the double and snes and arcade performance is perfect
not sure how it works but it works !

Post a new topic
Post a new topic