Author Topic: Game-specific PSX4ALL settings for RS97  (Read 3714 times)

Dhelix (OP)

Game-specific PSX4ALL settings for RS97
« on: December 25, 2018, 11:56:44 am »
Hello,

I noticed early on that no PSX4ALL settings seem to work equally well for each game. This has to do with a variety of reasons unique to each game and the PSX4ALL settings and how those things impact one another. What I wanted to do was make a thread where we could share and discuss various PSX4ALL settings in order to optimize the experience as close to possible as the PS1 experience (for the limited games that the RS97 can play well for PS1) with the least amount of tradeoffs.

For me, that means trying to hit a sweet spot between these trade offs:

1) If the gameplay is action/platformer with responsive design AND features cut scenes then I feel the trade off of slightly worse cut scenes for superior game play is worthwhile.

2) If the game has a narrative and the above then I will always aim to be careful so as not to lose character names from the story.

3) I am willing to reduce sound quality sampling if it means a less visual sluggishness.

4) I experiment with the impact of lighting on or off because it has a big impact on some 3D games. Where possible I always want to have lighting on. If it seems like the lighting is not absolutely necessary and the performance gain is immense I may play with it off.

5) I watch playthroughs on the original PS1 to get a better feel for the speed of a game and then aim to better optimize toward its speed where I can. Speed of play for PS1 games we can play is what I optimize around most. So, if you?re okay with floaty, slow-motion play or the feeling of running in quick sand... my optimization settings likely won?t be for you.

Dhelix (OP)

Re: Game-specific PSX4ALL settings for RS97
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2018, 12:02:02 pm »
First up:

This is a great game for any Mario or Kirby fan but set to its default settings it?s extremely slow and fluttery. If you have never seen or played it on PS1 you may not notice it but here are my settings recommendations to give it more of the PS1 feel.

OS settings:

Overclock to 624

Core settings:
Use real BIOS
Set cycle multiplier to 2.85 (setting to 3.0 loses character names)

GPU settings:
Turn OFF automatic frame skip (it?s a killer for this game!)
Set it manually to 2
Frame limiter: on (if it?s not on some weird things happen with the other settings)

SPU settings:
Reduce what you can to your minimal liking.

With these settings on you can get a fast feeling experience that looks great with all lighting on!

« Last Edit: December 26, 2018, 01:46:04 pm by Dhelix »

lazanti

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2018, 12:54:35 pm »
But the emulator is running at the wrong resolution, right? Someone said it could run all the Crash Bandicoot games, if this was fixed :)

Dhelix (OP)

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2018, 01:23:33 pm »
I am running the GCW-Zero Verizon of the PSX4all from Oct 2018. It?s better than the Retrogame version. I also have the custom Kernel for the 1.0S Version.

Dhelix (OP)

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2018, 02:15:32 pm »
Up next, Spyro:

Spyro is a fantastic game for the RS97 but it?s one with some notable compromises in emulation. Unlike Kloana above, where after much tinkering I truly feel the settings above hit the right sweet spot between speed and frame rate feel... Spyro always seems to play a tiny bit slow or too jittery when frames are skipped. The trade off becomes one or the other pretty clearly so for me these settings allow you to enjoy the engine at a very smooth level. Even if at slightly slower speed than the PS1 version. You are often using burst speed on Spyro anyway and in that mode the engine at these settings holds up allowing you to see everything clealry and smoothly and react.

Overclock: 624
Bios: Real

Core settings: Turn multiplier up to 3.0

GPU: Frame skip: Turn it to 1. I prefer 1 to automatic because with automatic I feel like I can sense the change between it coming and going more. I prefer to get used to one look and just adjusting to it.
Lighting: On
Dithering: Off

Audio: Whatever the minimum is you can handle.

This results in a very smooth engine where lighting remains dynamic and you can control Spyro at high speed and gliding in a highly responsive way that hits the sweet spot between fluid motion and higher speed closer to PS1?s version.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2018, 02:35:55 pm by Dhelix »

Dhelix (OP)

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2018, 01:53:27 pm »

This mix aims to provide the best compromise between graphics of environment, speed of game play that the Tony Hawk series is known for so that it doesn?t get too slow motion-y and floaty in the air, and also so that the animations of the skater doing tricks doesn?t deteriorate. I put a lot of trial and error into this one to see if there was anything better just to be sure but haven?t found it. I prioritize speed of play high. There are ways to get the graphics better and the animations smoother but it will play super slow. The way I knew this was best was because I kept wanting to play and kept doing tons of linked moves and grabs and explorations of the parks. I used to play this game a lot so the next mix of speed and smooth is everything to me for this one.

Use GCW-Zero October 2018 build
Overclock to 624
Use Real Bios

Core:
Cycle multiplier set to 3.0

GPU:
No frame limiter. For some reason Tony Hawk reacts okay to this setting.
Frame skip: Auto (2 causes major issues. 1 caused some issues. Auto seems to be the only option with the cycle set this high and overclocking on)
Dithering: off

SPU:
Reduce whatever you?re comfortable listening to. If you can handle no music songs playing (Tony Hawk uses licensed rock and rap) then you may see an additional boost.

« Last Edit: December 26, 2018, 03:19:09 pm by Dhelix »

jamespoo1

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2018, 03:02:12 am »
anybody know how to get simpsons wrestling to run better for me it playing ntsc rom it runs at around 22fps - 31fps mostly stays around 26fps

what can i do

Dhelix (OP)

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2018, 03:04:31 pm »

Rayman 1 plays well with some slight adjustments.

Use Bios
Overclock to 624
Set multiplier to 2.85
Set frame limiting to on
Set frame skip to 1

Provides a good balance of speed and visuals and sound.

ace9094

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2018, 07:55:16 pm »
This is a great thread.... Keep it up, hopefully it will get  a "Sticky"  8)
Dingoo A320, GCW0, RS-97 x2, Revo-K101, RS-90, PSP, GameGadget, New 3DS 128GB, PS Vita 200GB, RS-45, Gamebox Advance and a few other obscure devices

Great Crippler

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2018, 12:09:33 am »

Afraid I must disagree. I would appreciate a spreadsheet with the ability to quick reference games. A thread like this is messy, and will lead to page after page of scrolling after awhile. It's a nice thought, but poor execution. I guess if there was a list in the OP with a link to each game and its spot on the topic where the settings could be found then maybe. But as is, I see this is kind of a mess of spam.

ace9094

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2018, 02:36:15 am »

Afraid I must disagree. I would appreciate a spreadsheet with the ability to quick reference games. A thread like this is messy, and will lead to page after page of scrolling after awhile. It's a nice thought, but poor execution. I guess if there was a list in the OP with a link to each game and its spot on the topic where the settings could be found then maybe. But as is, I see this is kind of a mess of spam.

I see you're point, either way its a lot to manage... Maybe create a google doc and pin to first post? Either way worthy in book.. Testing is ball ache all the same  8)
Dingoo A320, GCW0, RS-97 x2, Revo-K101, RS-90, PSP, GameGadget, New 3DS 128GB, PS Vita 200GB, RS-45, Gamebox Advance and a few other obscure devices