• HomeBoards
  • RulesRules
  • HelpHelp
  • WikiWiki
  • Donate

Author Topic: DOS VS AMIGA  (Read 7347 times)

wolfstar27 (OP)

DOS VS AMIGA
« on: August 28, 2015, 01:03:00 am »
from a young age I had the 386 and I enjoyed many games, like my all time favourite Monkey Island series and many other LucasArts classics, also Jazz Jack rabbit, Commander Keen, Lemmings etc

but for a brief time I had an amiga and some of the games I played on it was fun, like Chuck Rock, Boogerman and a few others.

I already got DOSBOX Turbo, however considering getting an Amiga emulator, just wondering if its worth getting as I noticed that most games are on both systems. but just like SNES and Mega drive (genesis) they had similar games but some had better versions of certain games than the other.

So guys what do you prefer DOS or AMIGA?

gameblabla

Re: DOS VS AMIGA
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2015, 03:01:06 am »
I never played the Amiga until much later (through emulation, never saw a real one).
Overall, i would say MS-DOS because the games were better on it than on Amiga,
most especially their VGA versions but that is not always true.

Titus the fox is much superior on Amiga than it is on MS-DOS :
The Amiga version had scrolling while the 286 DOS version is just an improved port of the ST version.

And then there's the crapload of games that were only released on Amiga.
Bonk's Adventure on Amiga (now freeware) is pretty good and isn't available for MS-DOS.
R-type on Amiga (now freeware too) is not too bad either and i don't think it was ever ported to MS-DOS.

Both are worth playing , i would say.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 03:03:09 am by gameblabla »

wolfstar27 (OP)

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2015, 01:05:14 am »
I found this video comparing both Amiga and PC and you can tell a lot of the difference

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cETl8PhUy_E

yeah I would interested in Amiga exclusive games...I'll check out bonk's adventure...I know for Amiga to run, I have to get the kickstart rom which is apparently on an app for 69p on google play called Amiga forever essentials

gameblabla

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2015, 02:56:08 am »
I found this video comparing both Amiga and PC and you can tell a lot of the difference

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cETl8PhUy_E
Most of the games shown here were worse than the Amiga version because they didn't use VGA or VGA wasn't available at the time they were released.
As for sound... Well, i can't deny the Paula Chip is much superior to Adlib/SoundBlaster 1.
(Some games supported the MT-32 but that thing was expensive)

On Amiga, you should definitively try Leander, it's not bad and it has a very japanese feel to it.
It was released later for Sega Genesis though but it was originally developed for Amiga/ST.

I still need to try Fire & Ice for Amiga CD32, apparently it's pretty good.

An example of a bad port on Amiga and good port on PC is probably Golden Axe.
Golden Axe looks great on DOS, almost like the arcade while the Amiga port looks pretty weak.

wolfstar27 (OP)

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2015, 01:02:39 pm »
Leander looks quite interesting, I remember playing fire and Ice on DOS, I would say its a pretty decent platformer.

I saw the comparison of Altered Beast on different formats, although I always knew it for the Genesis, the Arcade version looked like the best port of it.

Did you ever play Fury of the Furries? I remember that was a really good game on the PC and found out its on Amiga too

I remember a amiga game called Benefactor i remember it having a good soundtrack to it.

I loved Zany golf, I remember I played a PC version of it but it is also on the genesis and Amiga

gameblabla

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2015, 01:46:40 am »
I saw the comparison of Altered Beast on different formats, although I always knew it for the Genesis, the Arcade version looked like the best port of it.
Did you ever play Fury of the Furries? I remember that was a really good game on the PC and found out its on Amiga too
Altered Beast is not that great of a game : i tried it on Sega Genesis and i wasn't impressed.
As for Fury of the Furries, never tried it but i heard good things about Pac-In-Time, which is apparently a rebranded version of Fury of the Furries.
I have not actually played many Amiga games.
Alien Breed 3D is not a bad doom clone but its small screen size drives me crazy.

I still need to give a try LionHeart, Wings, Shadow Warrior as well as  the many arcade ports...

wolfstar27 (OP)

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2015, 11:06:45 am »
I always liked Altered Beast cause of the main character morphing into different animals.

never knew about Pac in time, I saw a youtube video saying that, the makers of Fury of the furries sold it namco and suggest they can make Pac man out of it.

neither have I, I'm mainly a DOS guy, I tried Ruff N Tumble on my android phone and the character sprite kept on flickering, and Titus the fox took ages to load up at the start.

I accomplished two things I wanted to do yesterday, get Amiga working on my android device and get scummvm to finally work on my iPad

lemmywinks

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2015, 02:18:37 pm »
Lots of great Amiga games were exclusive or also on the ST - Zeewolf, Hunter, Gravity Force 2. Also some CGA DOS games looked terrible like It Came From the Desert and Stunt Car Racer.
Handhelds:
GPD Win, GPD XD 64gb, PlayGo, RS-90, 3DS XL, DSi XL, GBA SP, GBBC Clone, Gameboy Pocket c/w screen mod, PSP Go
PC:
Medion Erazer, Toshiba Z20t, Dell Mini 9, Psion 5MX
Tons of other old laptops and tablets.....

Jayson

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2015, 02:04:08 am »
I definitely have more experience with DOS games from when I was younger, but I've grown an appreciation for Amiga titles as the years have gone on through emulation. I've always liked the Sensible Soccer series and have pretty good memories of renting Soldier Of Fortune (Chaos Engine) on SNES when I was younger. After discovering the Amiga and the original versions of those games, along with slowly getting exposed to the rest of its library, I feel like I missed out. Then again, there's something really nice about having this huge library of titles to go back through an appreciate all of the things the hardware is capable of.
Do you know where I can find some sailors?

jamesensor

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2016, 10:35:31 pm »
Loading times in Amiga are very long.. for about everything. But the sound aspect and visuals of it are amazing. I had a cousin with an amiga 500. Cool stuff for the time!

FS-UAE is a good emu for it.

I think, for example, it's Desert Strike version, can only be matched by the Snes version.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 10:38:20 pm by jamesensor »
PSP 3000 | PSP Go | Ps 2 | Xbox Original | Ireadygo Much i5 | Aurora II | Pipo w2f | Tonsmart Vega S-89h | Lenovo K3 Note | Tronsmart Draco H3 | Raspberry Pi 2

Post a new topic
Post a new topic