• HomeBoards
  • RulesRules
  • HelpHelp
  • WikiWiki
  • Donate

Author Topic: Discussion - Emulating the GP32 on modern handhelds  (Read 3632 times)

LauweLoempia (OP)

Discussion - Emulating the GP32 on modern handhelds
« on: March 24, 2019, 10:44:22 pm »
Ok, so this is actually something I have been thinking and struggling with for some time now: I would like to GP32 games again... preferably on a modern handheld.

For me personally, my trip down opensource handheld gaming began with the GP32 BLU. A vibrant colorful backlit screen and fast hardware combined with a open OS capable of running emulators, hombrew and home-converted movie files made this console one of my favorite handhelds. Later on, I got the GP2X, GP2X Wiz, Cannoo and then into the era of dingux and opendingoo handhelds.

However, with each new console , less and less commercial games got released for these kind of consoles and of these games only a few were unique to that system. However, of the 28 games released for the GP32, quite a few were unique to the system (i fondly remember Little Wizard and Kimchi-Man).

For over 10 years ago a GP32 emulator was released called GeePee32, although it misses audio and does not runs all commercial games. Later it seemed that this emulator was incorporated in Mame (mame/gp32.cpp) however I never got it to work properly (it was reported it also did not have audio and only limited compatibility).

I guess not many care for this system and also only a limited amount of unique games will be 'u-earthed' with a proper GP32 emulator. But I personally still dream of be-ing able to play the GP32 collection on a modern handheld (GCW0 or RS-97).

Did you also own a GP32? Would you like to play these games again trough emulation? Ans which game in particular?

newisle

Re: Discussion - Emulating the GP32 on modern handhelds
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2019, 01:23:32 pm »
MAME(MESS) emulated GP32 for a long time,I can even run gp32 games slowly on a android handheld like gpd xd though retroarch mame/mess/ume core.

You can try it.

LauweLoempia (OP)

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2019, 04:25:33 pm »
ok, cool! I'll give it a try! I guess there's still no sound  :-X

gameblabla

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2019, 11:03:30 am »
MAME is very slow for emulating the GP32.
It does seem to emulate it decently though but last time i tried, i think it had no sound.

There's another Windows emulator for the GP32 but that one does not work reliably and sadly the source code for that never got released.

Post a new topic
Post a new topic