• HomeBoards
  • RulesRules
  • HelpHelp
  • WikiWiki
  • Donate

Author Topic: Why is the newer version(s) of PocketSNES so much slower than the 2017 release?  (Read 1411 times)

daddylonglegs (OP)

Hey all! RG350P here. Absolutely love Super Mario RPG running at its native resolution! It looks incredible!

One of the things that got me so excited about the RG350 was that it more or less runs Super Mario RPG at a full 60FPS which is quite the task. It dips into the low 50s in "large" areas with lots of characters like Mushroom Kingdom but still that's pretty damn impressive.

Anyway that was on the September 2nd 2017 build of PocketSNES. I just tried to update PocketSNES with the following two pages:

https://github.com/m45t3r/PocketSNES/releases

and

https://github.com/ChiaYen-Kan/PocketSNES-RG350/releases

I don't know what the differences is between these two versions but both work on the RG350, both are over THREE YEARS newer than the one I was using, and BOTH give me way worse FPS performance compared to the 2017 release.

Does anyone know why this is? In Super Mario RPG, the game kinda runs at 60 fps but I get completely random FPS drops in things like battles which never happened on the 2017 release. Also Mushroom Kingdom runs at like 25 FPS instead of ~53 that I get on the 2017 release.

So in short, why is the older version of PocketSNES so much faster for me? Am I the only one? Is there any way to fix this on the newer versions or do I have to stick with the older one forever?

Thanks!

Surkow

• * Administrator
Accuracy comes at cost. The original PocketSNES targeting the GCW Zero (and other JZ4770 devices) was based on Snes9x 1.43. That was just before a great overhaul of the audio emulation of Snes9x. The more accurate the emulation, the less speed you can expect.

daddylonglegs (OP)

Accuracy comes at cost. The original PocketSNES targeting the GCW Zero (and other JZ4770 devices) was based on Snes9x 1.43. That was just before a great overhaul of the audio emulation of Snes9x. The more accurate the emulation, the less speed you can expect.

What is the latest version of PocketSNES that will run Super Mario RPG at full speed? I am using the September 2017 one. When did they switch over?

I didn't notice a single hiccup playing any SNES games on the 2017 build! And I am pretty particular with that stuff. I kinda wished they kept it that way. There's not many Linux handheld devices out there that can play Super Mario RPG at 60 fps so I don't see the point in increasing accuracy if it's going to drop frames.

xdplus fanatic-oopsy

• * AKA Dreamesper
Play it off of a PC then. Simple workaround.

davidgilmour

Play it off of a PC then. Simple workaround.

Can?t put a pc in your pocket. Unless that PC is a GPD Win 3 that I just ordered  :) :) :)

RetroVibe

September 2nd 2017 build of PocketSNES.

Can you point the repo to download this faster version?

DENNY79

September 2nd 2017 build of PocketSNES.

Can you point the repo to download this faster version?
The best version for me:    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwYi4RGX-HSabTFGTGl4eDBTUnc/view

Post a new topic