Author Topic: Where do I read my current firmware version?  (Read 1650 times)

rbianco (OP)

Where do I read my current firmware version?
« on: November 26, 2019, 04:36:19 pm »
Hi all, my 1st post here :-)
Where do I read my current firmware version?
I've searched in the Applications, and only see one release date listed, but I can't relate this to a firmware version.
Thankyou.

stareja

Re: Where do I read my current firmware version?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2019, 08:50:21 am »
Near as I can tell, other than just knowing, there isn't one. A firmware release is just a tweak on an existing version of OpenDingux (1.4 for the GCW0, I believe). In that sense, these are unofficial releases. There isn't an official release of OpenDingux for the RG-350 that I'm aware of (though I'd love to be wrong about that).

If you check Settings -> System Info, you'll get a compile date. That doesn't get you a firmware version, though.

I've looked through the files on the device, and I can't find a file that logs the specific firmware version; just the Kernel revision and the build dates of various parts.

If you know how to use ssh to log in to the device, you can modify some files in /proc/sys/kernel to report a firmware version, but I wouldn't recommend that unless you know exactly what you're doing.

rbianco (OP)

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2019, 01:57:27 pm »
Thanks!

stareja

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2019, 02:22:23 pm »
Not sure if you're still monitoring this post or not, but these are the build dates for the different firmware versions as reported by the About application under the Settings tab.

1.4 - Oct 14 2019
1.5 - Oct 23 2019
1.5.1 - Oct 27 2019 (Available as an OPK update only)
1.6 - Nov 10 2019 (Available as an OPK update only)
1.7 - Nov 17 2019

Recce

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2019, 02:42:02 pm »
There are actually many versions of the firmware floating on the net right now with minor changes here and there. Some of them even overclocked the CPU to 1.1GHz.

Do bear in mind that they're all "beta" releases, in that they may not be stable and still have noticeable bugs in them. For me, the best stable version is at 1.5.1, released by Tony Jih.

The one and only reason I'm looking forward to a new firmware is for someone to add HDMI A/V out support. Sadly from what I've read here so far, no one's doing this feature at all or even be interested in doing it. :(

Never have I expected a main feature to not be implemented at all in a product. In future I will definitely make sure to read reviews first on all the features being advertised and implemented and workable out of the box before I buy the product.

stareja

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2019, 03:50:39 pm »
There are actually many versions of the firmware floating on the net right now with minor changes here and there. Some of them even overclocked the CPU to 1.1GHz.

The only ones I'm referring to are listed on https://github.com/retrogamehandheld/RG-350/wiki/Firmware-and-Software-Updates and https://rs97.bitgala.xyz/RG-350/Latest%20Firmware/. As to who made them, I don't know; I'll have to take your word on the fact that they're from different authors.

Do bear in mind that they're all "beta" releases, in that they may not be stable and still have noticeable bugs in them. For me, the best stable version is at 1.5.1, released by Tony Jih.

They're all unofficial in a sense as none of them are "official" OpenDingux releases. They're all based off of the last release of the GCW0 firmware.

I've also found that 1.5.1 is the "best" one for me. This CFW and the version of PSX4ALL seems to give me the best PSX performance. It won't play Bloody Roar II at full speed, but most other games I've tested look good.

The one and only reason I'm looking forward to a new firmware is for someone to add HDMI A/V out support. Sadly from what I've read here so far, no one's doing this feature at all or even be interested in doing it. :(

I was excited about the HDMI support, too. The idea that I might be able to attach an OTG USB-C hub for controllers, a separate one for charging, and an HDMI port would've made for a neat portable gaming device that could be hooked up to a television. From what I've managed to pick out from the forum, The GCW0 also had an HDMI port that was not implemented. There was *some* work in getting it to work, but doesn't seem that it ever worked well enough to put into firmware.

The RG-350 is really just a repackaged GCW0 (same CPU, RAM, similar screen, likely same GPU, no BT or wifi, though), so it's not surprising that something that didn't work on the GCW0 doesn't work on the RG-350. The developer is using what was a fairly open hardware design with an open operating system, so their development investment is very low. It's just the way a lot of these cheap emulation handheld companies operate. They put out a handheld and rely on the community to progress firmware development.

Recce

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2019, 04:15:28 pm »
Didn't know the RG350 had so much similarity with the GCW0, even down to the 3.5" 320x240 screen and CPU. I always thought the CPU on the RG350 was a newly released model, but apparently it was same as the 4-year-old GCW0.

So for 4 long years no one is able to add HDMI A/V output on the GCW0, and yet on a cheap $10 SUP portable gaming unit they had A/V output out of the box. Strange indeed.

a330boy

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2020, 06:37:30 pm »
Not sure if you're still monitoring this post or not, but these are the build dates for the different firmware versions as reported by the About application under the Settings tab.

1.4 - Oct 14 2019
1.5 - Oct 23 2019
1.5.1 - Oct 27 2019 (Available as an OPK update only)
1.6 - Nov 10 2019 (Available as an OPK update only)
1.7 - Nov 17 2019

Useful info. Thanks.

Post a new topic
Post a new topic