• HomeBoards
  • RulesRules
  • HelpHelp
  • WikiWiki
  • Donate

Author Topic: Washed out halo effect on 350m screen.  (Read 1959 times)

SML (OP)

Washed out halo effect on 350m screen.
« on: July 07, 2020, 04:33:38 pm »
I'm not really trying to get a problem solved here, since the issue seems to have resolved itself at the moment. I'm mostly establishing the issue and the circumstances that it occurred under. I didn't take pictures at the time and don't want to press my luck by trying to duplicate the issue, but I'll come back with an update if the problem reoccurs.

I recently updated my 350m to the 1.7.10/M "Rogue" CFW

I then connected the 350m to my PC to re-install applications and bios files, etc., over FTP.

I left the device to charge, accidentally putting it to sleep with a short press on the power button instead of turning it off with a long press.

When I returned to the device later (~an hour or less), the screen was washed out and flickering with a "halo" of light around the edges of the screen.

I didn't experience the streaky bands of pixels that some people have posted of the original RG 350.

I still had my Toshiba sdhc flashed with the stock firmware, so I switched back, which didn't make any difference.

I switched back to the Rogue CFW and powered on the unit periodically to check in on it. It got better over time and, after an hour or two, the issue seemed to have resolved completely. I gave the unit a full charge (powered off), turned it on, and it's been good to go ever since.

My assumption at this point is that operating the unit while charging, even though it was only in sleep mode, caused the battery to heat up, which disrupted the operation of the panel.

I'll take a look at the inside of the unit when I open it up to install the PSX buttons I ordered from sakura. In the meantime, I'm not going to stop using FTP to manage files.

elea

Re: Washed out halo effect on 350m screen.
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2020, 05:56:51 pm »
This happens sometimes... I had my RG350M plugged into the usb with the screen asleep and then screen did the exact same thing but eventually recovered. No issues since then. It doesn't seem to be about heat though

Developers triggered a similar problem back in November while testing some video settings. So far I haven't seen evidence of any permanent damage in any of these specific cases.

SML (OP)

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2020, 06:39:13 pm »
Good to hear!

I guess I was jumping to conclusions about the heat because I saw the panel's recovery as analogous to heat dissipation. Hoping to see this better understood.

MrVigShot

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2020, 07:05:20 pm »
I've experienced this myself with a 350M unit I got from Droix.net. They replaced it and sadly the issue is on the new unit as well.

With some experimenting I have learned the following:

1) The longer the unit is in "sleep mode", the greater the halo effect.
2) If your theme is particularly vibrant in color, the effect is also intensified.
3) In all cases, the effect disappears over time, even when the unit is off. The more severe the effect, the longer it takes to go away.
4) If you choose a much darker theme, you may not experience this effect at all, but I haven't tested the extent of how much the effect is mitigated just because of having a darker theme. I just know I seem to never get the halo effect under these circumstances, I have a primarily dark blue or just black themes that I use.
5) This effect occurs in both stock and rogue firmware.

Also under certain solid shades of grey and a few others, you'll notice some strange lines like a optical illusion, especially in the middle of the screen. I don't think it's a defect but just a flaw in the hardware design that software hasn't made up for.

Elaphe666

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2020, 12:07:52 pm »
Can the sleep mode be completelly disabled and substituted by a software solution like a screensaver?

Post a new topic