Author Topic: sd card size  (Read 2881 times)

JerryD (OP)

sd card size
« on: November 16, 2019, 09:49:31 pm »
Hi nice to meet everyone. I got a rg350 and am getting ready to update the firmware. It seems most here are using 32 gig cards. I have a 128 samgsung evo card. Can I use it or would I be better off getting a 32 gig card? If I can use the 128 is there  any down side?

Thanks

ace9094

Re: sd card size
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2019, 10:08:37 pm »
OK... I have 200GB Sandisk internal card.... This is my take...

PRO's
GREAT 200GB unit (yay)

CON's
If a new update is released that fixes issues and requires a clean install (like CFW 1.7 released today) That you WILL lose all of your data if unless you back it up.

Backing up via NETWORK USB-C or Card Reader connected to PC will be slow

Data in the Apps folders will need dingux commander to copy them to another SD before backing up. (think of your saves etc)

I suggest grab a a good 32GB only store the vital data on there and files for your port like Quake 3 etc...

Run all your ROMS from the external... PSX games are big, performance is not impacted running from the SD card ;)

Your call... I am going to 64GB internal 200GB external Job done... If someone ever creates a media player that actually works well then 512GB :D

Dingoo A320, GCW0, RS-97 x2, Revo-K101, RS-90, PSP, GameGadget, New 3DS 128GB, PS Vita 200GB, RS-45, Gamebox Advance and a few other obscure devices

JerryD (OP)

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2019, 10:54:38 pm »
Thanks, sound advice. I'll get a 32 gig card for internal use and put everything else on the 128 card I have now.

iball

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2019, 11:19:03 pm »
I did a 64GB internal card and 256GB external card for both my own RG350 and one I'm gifting to a friend.
Works fine.

JerryD (OP)

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2019, 07:17:54 pm »
It turns out I have a few of these cards for devices I no longer use. I have both a 64 and 128 card. I tried following eta prime's video on how to do this and it failed. So I'm gonna try again.

Thanks for the advice.

ace9094

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2019, 09:52:04 pm »
It turns out I have a few of these cards for devices I no longer use. I have both a 64 and 128 card. I tried following eta prime's video on how to do this and it failed. So I'm gonna try again.

Thanks for the advice.

Try this -

Format the SD Card so it wipes SD Card to back to a single drive / partition FAT32

I use the "USB Disk Storage Format Tool" also known as "HP USB Disk" - You need to run it as admin :) You can grab this from HP website etc Just google it

Then I flashed CFW 1.7 using Win32 Disk Imager, insert SD card boot RG350 once and then turn it off.
Put the SD back in to the PC and expand the partition with disk genius.

Copy your roms and any other apps you want not in this build using Filezilla

Connect to filezilla using Network app and your USB-c cable in the right USB port

Thats it... Hope this helps if not Follow Taki Udon video below

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0KrEOCp8gE" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0KrEOCp8gE</a>
Dingoo A320, GCW0, RS-97 x2, Revo-K101, RS-90, PSP, GameGadget, New 3DS 128GB, PS Vita 200GB, RS-45, Gamebox Advance and a few other obscure devices

iball

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2019, 11:28:17 pm »
The trick I use is to spin up an Ubuntu workstation in Virtualbox and attached the USB micro-SD card reader to it.
Ubuntu mounts the partitions on the micro-SD just fine and then I use the built-in Ubuntu disk tool to extend the partition.
Once that's done, I use the already-mapped folder containing game data (Quake, Doom, Duke Nukem, etc.) to just drag-n-drop the needed pak/grp files onto the newly-extended partition into the locations that the ports of those game engines require.

JerryD (OP)

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2019, 03:25:45 am »
Thanks that did the trick.

ace9094

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2019, 06:55:22 pm »
Thanks that did the trick.

Which?? VM Station or the Video :D

JerryD (OP)

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2019, 04:55:12 pm »
Your description mostly. Except I used etcher instead of the program you used. My issue was that I extended the partition before letting the update do it. Flashing the card and then putting in the device with out doing anything else worked.  ;D

rickdeckard

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2019, 05:46:26 pm »
I had a 4GB microSD card lying around, so I used it for the internal FW card. I saw that the OS used around 1GB of space on the original card the RG350 shipped with, so I said well, how much more space would the CFW use? I installed the 1.7 on this 4GB card and it works just fine.

My question is, is there any reason why I shouldn't keep this 4GB card for the internal slot? Should I use a bigger one? I searched around and I haven't found anything about the minimum or recommended size for the internal card. Truth be told, I figured out that some of the game ports have to have the game files copied to the internal card, like Diablo/Devolution, for example, so that may take some space, if you want to play all the ports available.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2019, 05:50:25 pm by rickdeckard »

JerryD (OP)

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2019, 06:02:38 pm »
Don't know if there is any specific reason not to go with a bigger card. At the same time I don't see any reason to go from the 16gig card that is installed to a smaller one. This is one of those why questions. There is no benefit from going smaller so why do it?

ace9094

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2019, 08:23:01 pm »
I installed the 1.7 on this 4GB card and it works just fine. My question is, is there any reason why I shouldn't keep this 4GB card for the internal slot? Should I use a bigger one?

Personally I would recommend a bigger card, they are really cheap so why not... The more on the SD Card the more data it has to read through... Not that it would be a huge difference.

I searched around and I haven't found anything about the minimum or recommended size for the internal card.

Nope I dont think there is, but as device come with 16GB I would say that is the minimum

Truth be told, I figured out that some of the game ports have to have the game files copied to the internal card, like Diablo/Devolution, for example, so that may take some space, if you want to play all the ports available.

Not quite, Diablo can be moved to the SD

Taken from Github
NOTE: You can copy diabdat.mpq to sdcard instead and create a symlink at the expected location. To do this, SSH into your RG350 and run:

ln -sf /media/sdcard/<path_to_diabdat.mpq> /media/home/.local/share/diasurgical/devilution/diabdat.mpq

Post a new topic