Author Topic: RG350 Wifi (using wifi dongle & USB C adaptor)  (Read 1637 times)

Recce (OP)

RG350 Wifi (using wifi dongle & USB C adaptor)
« on: January 02, 2020, 02:55:58 am »
Just saw below video on youtube.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AY5h8cr0vVs" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AY5h8cr0vVs</a>

Looks interesting. Is there any GCW0 users here that can comment from experience how useful is the wifi function on such a portable device? The video shows OPK updates that can be done quite seamlessly but other than that any other incentive to get the wifi dongle and USB adaptor combo for RG350?

Obviously the apps/emulators etc all need to be updated to support wifi which is already one major hurdle. I'm wondering other than the technical aspect, are there functional aspects of it that is beneficial?

iball

Re: RG350 Wifi (using wifi dongle & USB C adaptor)
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2020, 03:28:09 am »
Wifi on the GCW-Zero wasn't really used much - if at all - beyond remotely accessing the device to load ROMs on to. 
At least, that's all I did with mine.

gameblabla

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2020, 04:01:42 am »
There are certainly uses for Wi-fi.
Stuff like Quake, Quake 2 and ZDoom can now be played online.
The lack of Wifi meant that i could not really post my Rule34 image downloader OPK because telling people to get an USB C dongle is not worth it.

As iball mentionned, it could also be used to transfer files to the console itself.

Emulators could in theory be updated for local or online play. However, this requires having experience with networking, and i'm certainly not knowledgeable when it comes to that stuff... (aside from libcurl i guess but that's not really deep networking stuff)

Yeah for the most part, it was seldom used on the GCW0. (although this was mostly because most of the GCW0s out there died or had hardware issues so it wasn't worth using it)

ace9094

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2020, 08:30:53 pm »
Emulators could in theory be updated for local or online play.

DAMN.... If only.... Final Burn Alpha, MAME, PocketSNES.... Imagine it.... Streetfighter II, Double Dragon, Mario Kart.... Playing friends Who live miles away or live in different a country.... Reliving the days when you werea kid pumping your pocket money in to the arcade in the 80's 90's and early 2000's

OH I WISH lol

Dingoo A320, GCW0, RS-97 x2, Revo-K101, RS-90, PSP, GameGadget, New 3DS 128GB, PS Vita 200GB, RS-45, Gamebox Advance and a few other obscure devices

ozzeruk

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2020, 06:14:12 pm »
The cost of getting this up and running is minimal. I saw in a local 'bazaar' shop here in Spain the USB C->USB A convertor for 2.80 euros. Then the WiFi USB dongle costs a max of 7 euros for a decent TP-Link one (I bet you could find cheaper ones). So about 10-12 euros/dollars to add Wifi connectivity to the RG350, and many people will already have both of these items.

An obvious use is local LAN multiplayer - that would be great for Mario Kart etc!

a330boy

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2020, 08:56:11 pm »
I just want to transfer files. Is it plug and play?

MashTec

• MashTec's Youtube channel
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2020, 09:48:06 am »
Hi,
yea it's pretty much Plug-and-Play, as long as you have the correct WiFi dongle. You need a dongle that runs either a RTL8188EU or a RTL8192CU chipset ( i have links to compatible units in my youtube video)#Invalid YouTube Link#. Both are supported in FW versions 1.5 and 1.7. All you need is a .opk called GCWConnect to be installed on your RG350 to allow you to find and connect to a AccessPoint.
Take a look at my videos about this. I explain step-by-step what's to do to setup WiFi on your RG350:
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymhuU_8seXc" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymhuU_8seXc</a>

Enjoy! :)
Follow me on Youtube for more explicit and unique tutorials on the RG350 http://www.youtube.com/c/MashTec

datadragon

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2020, 03:18:14 am »
I just want to transfer files. Is it plug and play?

A 100mb transfer using the wifi method takes 2.92 minutes at around 570kb/sec, a 1gb transfer would take 29.20 minutes. Using the winscp program on windows (ftp 10.1.1.2) through the usb connector attaching the RG350 to the computer, a 100mb transfer takes 1.75 minutes (105.26 seconds) and 1gb transfer takes 17.54 minutes (or can be accessed directly through windows explorer) and charges at the same time. Even faster would be to put the micro SD card into a reader and directly connect to computer due to having faster USB speeds.

Not exactly plug and play due to having to add the step to run the gcwconnect program. So until some other proposed features of the wifi come about that work well at current capable speeds of 600kb/sec, I think I will stick for now to usb mainly for file transfers but look forward to mashtec making any future progress. I do use the wifi a lot for small transfers such as opks and bios and just a couple roms. Also unfortunately since it not working on pocketgo2/playgo it further limits the universal benefit currently.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 09:14:06 pm by datadragon »

datadragon

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2020, 02:51:34 pm »
I just tested a wireless Logitech K360 keyboard and it works on the RG350 but it did not work unfortunately on the playgo (a black or red version of the pocketgo2). A Jelly Comb foldable wired keyboard also had been previously been tested and worked.

I also tested the wifi (Plugable USB 2.0 Wireless N 802.11n 150 Mbps Nano WiFi Network Adapter and JSAUX USB Type C Male to USB A 3.0 Female Adapter 2-Pack) and found that this also did not work on the playgo but worked ok on the RG350. Strangely the playgo came with gcwconnect app but the port of type c on the playgo appears to be only for charging/data transfer to pc and wont work. On the playgo wifi it freezes when you scan for networks and fails when you do manual using WPA (which works on RG350).

A few approximate comparison speed copies through the usb-c in comparison to wifi :

opk 800 kb -1 mb/sec computer to microsd copy  2.38 mb/s from microsd to computer copy
wifi 400-600 kb/sec  to   400-630 kb/sec from
snes 700 kb-770 to 2.10 mb/s from
wifi  400 kb -550    470-550 kb/s from
nes  600-770  to     1.3 mb/s from
wifi  470-550 to      320-440 kb/sec from
« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 10:03:53 pm by datadragon »

sudo

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2020, 12:14:53 pm »
Hi,
yea it's pretty much Plug-and-Play, as long as you have the correct WiFi dongle. You need a dongle that runs either a RTL8188EU or a RTL8192CU chipset ( i have links to compatible units in my youtube video)#Invalid YouTube Link#. Both are supported in FW versions 1.5 and 1.7. All you need is a .opk called GCWConnect to be installed on your RG350 to allow you to find and connect to a AccessPoint.
Take a look at my videos about this. I explain step-by-step what's to do to setup WiFi on your RG350:

Are these WIFI dongles that runs either RTL8188EU or a RTL8192CU chipset supported in FW version 1.4? My RG-350 is on 1.4 base. Thanks

Post a new topic