Author Topic: RG350 "ROGUE" CFW  (Read 148003 times)

goodfodder

Re: RG350 "ROGUE" CFW
« Reply #40 on: December 17, 2019, 09:08:42 am »
Hi, does this fw include overclocking functionality? Something sorely missing from the stock fw given the release of the gdk350h

michaelpegaso

« Reply #41 on: December 17, 2019, 09:33:48 am »
Hi, does this fw include overclocking functionality? Something sorely missing from the stock fw given the release of the gdk350h

If you have a small overclock and it goes very well for some games

_-Caleb-_

• Profile in GP32Spain
« Reply #42 on: December 17, 2019, 02:31:27 pm »
Yep, just 100mhz and works fine

Enviado desde mi Redmi Note 6 Pro mediante Tapatalk

- Nullum Gratuitum Prandium -
RG350 user

goodfodder

« Reply #43 on: December 17, 2019, 03:29:58 pm »
Cool, is this user selectable or hard coded?
Thanks

evilryu_sp

« Reply #44 on: December 17, 2019, 03:40:12 pm »
Hi all,

Apologies if this has been already asked before... How many "firmware" versions do we have for the RG350 at the moment and what are the differences between them?

As far as I understand so far we have:

Versions based on an existing GCW dingux release (from around 2014?)
- Tonyjih's releases
- Jutleys' releases
- Ninoh-FOX's Rogue RG350

Upcoming official up-to-date Dingux release by pcercuei (Q1-Q2 2020)?

Focusing on the already released versions, can we say:
- Tonyjih's is taken as the base, "clean" software release?
- Jutleys' releases take the clean software and bundles in emulators and other bits and bobs? Or is this also adding new functionality not present in the other releases?
- Ninoh-Fox's Rogue CFW flavour is a fork of tonyjih's clean release that is trying to add new functionality? Or is this building on top of Jutley's 1.7 version?

Thanks in advance!

SeongGino

• Twitter!
« Reply #45 on: December 17, 2019, 04:32:32 pm »
snip

Hi!

Paul's Kernel is upstream, which is what all other versions are based off of.
Tony Jih's is the first modified image made specifically for the RG350, as a stopgap until Paul's software is updated as he pleases.
Jutley's is Tony's with homebrew already built in.
Ninoh's (this) is a fork off Tony Jih's source that adds. . . um, instability and a new name, as far as I can see.
It's just your average Seong.

Please contribute to the (un)official Dingux repository, to protect the life cycle of our favorite handheld platform! https://github.com/SeongGino/RetroGame350-AppRepo

Ninoh-FOX (OP)

« Reply #46 on: December 18, 2019, 01:24:10 am »
snip

Hi!

Tony Jih's is the first modified image made specifically for the RG350, as a stopgap until Paul's software is updated as he pleases.
Ninoh's (this) is a fork off Tony Jih's source that adds. . . um, instability and a new name, as far as I can see.

where you see instability? Please, said me the bug for fix.

_-Caleb-_

• Profile in GP32Spain
« Reply #47 on: December 19, 2019, 01:20:25 am »
snip

Hi!

Hi SeongGino,
. This version is tested by at least 60 People in different consoles with different board versions  before release and several People are working in a better system (a exsmple is the input test made for the rg350 by rafavico) and yes, its based in the code of Tony yeah, but Ubuntu is based in deb?an and not for that reason are unstable, bad or better, is simply other distro.

In the New versions the guys are working Hard in lot of things. Include several updates in gmenu2x code and usability...im working in a backup program for the savestates and other things (not released yet) and working also in a better spanish translation for gmenu2x and gmenunx. (thats for january)

The jutleys version as you said are just the Tony code with Emulators and skins... Then, if i need to choice develop something for the console i choice release with and for the distro im using. and I said distro in the original use of the Word. The jutleys versi?n is just a Pack of things, just that, nothing better, nobody of the "team" are working in the development etc hehehe, and the goal, i think, is sell consoles in his online shop hehhe. (personal opinion)

If you found some bug or some kind of issue just report in the github or the discord for patch as the rest of us doing please

Regards!!!

Enviado desde mi Redmi Note 6 Pro mediante Tapatalk
« Last Edit: December 19, 2019, 01:27:58 am by _-Caleb-_ »
- Nullum Gratuitum Prandium -
RG350 user

RxBrad

• RxBrad.com
« Reply #48 on: December 19, 2019, 03:36:20 am »
As an English-speaking person not in Spain, I'm curious who the 60 testers are? Is it 60 people who have installed and specifically reported back their results? Is there a Discord/IRC/something-else channel somewhere that 60 people have logged into at some point?

I only ask because 1) I worry about a mandatory 10% overclock and how it might affect some units but not others, and 2) I'm curious if people with known LCD problems have had success with different timings

Recce

« Reply #49 on: December 19, 2019, 06:00:06 am »
I don't understand the hostility, i.e. asking how many people is really testing the code and even requesting to see all those testers' contributions online.

If interested, download the firmware and try it out to see if it's stable enough for you. You can always report any problem and flash back to whatever stable firmware version you're using.

If not interested, then just move on and not view this thread?

As far as I can tell from the posts, the 100MHz overclocking is just a request from a user and the LCD line problem which is totally unrelated to this firmware did not have a solution in this firmware or any other firmwares for that matter.

michaelpegaso

« Reply #50 on: December 19, 2019, 11:04:35 am »

It has a small overclock of approximately 10% and is doing well.

RxBrad

• RxBrad.com
« Reply #51 on: December 19, 2019, 01:57:07 pm »

If interested, download the firmware and try it out to see if it's stable enough for you. You can always report any problem and flash back to whatever stable firmware version you're using.

My concern is that this is being touted as totally-tested by lots & lots of people & super-stable.  Then people go into other forums asking for support on things that this FW could possibly break.  If it borks your install, repeatedly opening the unit to reflash the internal SD card risks damaging the plastic threads on the RG-350 or the screws holding it all together.

As far as I can tell from the posts, the 100MHz overclocking is just a request from a user

It's a request that appears to have been (re)implemented.

the LCD line problem which is totally unrelated to this firmware did not have a solution in this firmware or any other firmwares for that matter.

The LCD problem exists in all firmwares to this point, even the "official" ones that they ship with.  I noticed that there was a commit taking into account some issues raised by @pcercuei about timing frequencies.  I'm just genuinely curious if those changes fixed it for anyone.  If so, then this is a good thing.

goodfodder

« Reply #52 on: December 19, 2019, 02:20:00 pm »

Installed, works great, noticeable performance improvement in titles where the cpu is a bottleneck (e.g. Afterburner).
Only issue I have had is that most of my psx save states no longer work and had initial problems changing the psx emulator config (fresh image build) - addressed by copying the config from the original stock sd. Overall a keeper
« Last Edit: December 19, 2019, 02:21:33 pm by goodfodder »

HercTNT

« Reply #53 on: December 19, 2019, 05:11:20 pm »
As an English-speaking person not in Spain, I'm curious who the 60 testers are? Is it 60 people who have installed and specifically reported back their results? Is there a Discord/IRC/something-else channel somewhere that 60 people have logged into at some point?

I only ask because 1) I worry about a mandatory 10% overclock and how it might affect some units but not others, and 2) I'm curious if people with known LCD problems have had success with different timings

there is no dedicated support network for these devices. once you open the device and install custom firmware as it is you have violated the manufacturers warranty. also, they are not all the same. some tolerate overclocks much better than others and you can't way your options based on someone elses results. you simply need to do what the rest of us do. take a chance and go slow. i have opened my devices many times, its just how it works.

ace9094

« Reply #54 on: December 19, 2019, 07:21:05 pm »
My concern is that this is being touted as totally-tested by lots & lots of people & super-stable.  Then people go into other forums asking for support on things that this FW could possibly break.  If it borks your install, repeatedly opening the unit to reflash the internal SD card risks damaging the plastic threads on the RG-350 or the screws holding it all together.

See this thread on changing the SD Card - It has steps to opening carefully: https://boards.dingoonity.org/retro-game-350rg-350/internal-sd-card-upgrade-tips/

Dingoo A320, GCW0, RS-97 x2, Revo-K101, RS-90, PSP, GameGadget, New 3DS 128GB, PS Vita 200GB, RS-45, Gamebox Advance and a few other obscure devices

Ninoh-FOX (OP)

« Reply #55 on: December 20, 2019, 12:16:37 am »
new release. please, see the first post.

SeongGino

• Twitter!
« Reply #56 on: December 20, 2019, 01:23:04 am »
This version is tested by at least 60 People in different consoles with different board versions  before release
Not exactly sure what number of testers has to do with anything. There are released games with roughly double the amount of coordinated testers and quality assurance members whose results have led to. . . unfortunate outcomes.

yes, its based in the code of Tony yeah, but Ubuntu is based in deb?an and not for that reason are unstable, bad or better, is simply other distro.
I've never once brought up comparisons to Ubuntu or Debian, but you also can't compare a more reasonably flexible platform like conventional PCs to a handheld with known shortcomings and admittedly fragile components, like an internal storage medium that is prone to lifetime damage with subsequent repeated overwrite cycles, like the microSD card.

In the New versions the guys are working Hard in lot of things. Include several updates in gmenu2x code and usability...
Ah yes, because what we really need is more fragmentation causing consumers and even the most educated users endless anguish over the fact that updates aren't being sent upstream for everyone to enjoy. Didn't we already have enough discussion on why forks using the Dingux name were a bad idea because it would've been better for everyone involved to contribute upstream and reduce redundant workloads on reimplementing these features for more than one version of the software?

im working in a backup program for the savestates and other things (not released yet) and working also in a better spanish translation for gmenu2x and gmenunx. (thats for january)
Cool! Then... why not contribute that upstream, maybe? I'm sure Paul or Podulator, and the users using our current stable base firmwares would appreciate said updates without flashing SD cards and potentially losing our precious data.

The jutleys version as you said are just the Tony code with Emulators and skins...
Yes, what Jutley's packages is nothing more than that; a repackage. And I don't personally respect what he's done giving firmwares arbitrary naming conventions just to make them somehow flashy to the average user. It causes a lot of confusion for us who have to troubleshoot or otherwise guide new unsuspecting users on what or what not to install or use.
But at least what's being sold back to us is an already proven stable platform without risks of devices not booting or crashing due to forced overclocks [Ninoh's 1.7], forced fifteen minute wait periods after upgrading just to init the filesystem [Old 1.6-1.7 branch], or having to put stress on internal MicroSD cards in the first place due to excessive rewrites [I.E. any flashable upgrade].

If you found some bug or some kind of issue just report in the github or the discord for patch as the rest of us doing please
For the record, this (and much of what I've already pointed to earlier in the post) is sort of part of a greater point: you DO realize that you are peddling unofficial, and certainly unsupported firms on unsuspecting users who don't know any better, maybe sees this marketed as new and shiny by YouTube marketers who also don't know any better, or simply can't tell the difference between 'new' and 'stable', and now you have a usergroup of people who are not aware that what they're running could very possibly break their devices if they don't use it correctly? Not even a warning, like "Hey, just to let ya guys know, I'm just putting stuff out there and can't confirm how stable this may or may not be?" Because with how fast the developer is known to (for lack of a better phrase) shotgun-scatter their releases, even multiple revisions in a day, without warning... I don't feel comfortable using people who don't know any better as guinea pigs to find out the worst for themselves. And if they have issue, then us on 'normal' firmwares won't know how to help them.

For the record, the same goes for the whole screen fragility thing, but that's a different subject.

But I think my biggest point of all is, and I've been hinting towards this for a bit now: why not just contribute this back upstream if you think this is so great? The entire point of the original '1.7' branch, so I thought, was to have some kind of standard that could be used (at least until Paul's OpenDingux upstream finally released) so users wouldn't have to choose between two completely different branches of software for the RG-350. What you guys don't see (or heck if I know, probably already have seen if your supposed test bench is as big and populated as you say it is) are the tons of people who come around asking what to use on their shiny new RG-350's; and lots of them, not knowing any better, picked 1.7, not realizing that the newest release of the firmware isn't necessarily 'the best' release and has known problems. A lot of people get so confused, they can often give up and sell their consoles off outright because they didn't want to deal with different competing firmwares seemingly existing in competition with one another, and don't know what one offers over the other. Sure, you could say 'then they should just use what they have and not worry' but, to say that is kind of dismissing the point of an entire competing firmware branch altogether; if the average Jane isn't gonna want to use it, why bother? Honestly, much of the effort could've gone to just contributing to the base OpenDingux project instead, so that way everyone will get to experience the clear next-evolution of these devices - and work with a team who has somewhat of a proven track record. Because eventually, I can see in the near future that newer, more official-er releases (either from Paul or the device engineer themselves) are coming which will bring newer base kernels and much-needed updates that allow devs to utilize the device better, and will ultimately cause most of the (admittedly good) work here to go unused. Which is a tragedy.

/rant

Please contribute to the (un)official Dingux repository, to protect the life cycle of our favorite handheld platform! https://github.com/SeongGino/RetroGame350-AppRepo

iball

« Reply #57 on: December 20, 2019, 01:37:30 am »
MASSIVE WALL OF RANT TEXT

I don't care about your firmware rage. 
Chinesium handhelds like these are *always* going to be a gamble with firmware, software, and hardware.
The screen on my RG350 has already gone bad, and another user's RG350 has met the same fate this week.
You want solid firmware? 
Well, I want solid hardware that survives at least a few years (like the GCW-Zero) and not a month (like the RG350).

SeongGino

• Twitter!
« Reply #58 on: December 20, 2019, 01:41:59 am »
tiny wall of rage text
M'kay, sure. It's truly unfortunate you've had to undergo such a horrific experience, but then there's the greater majority of us who has solid hardware, and just wants one solid firmware to make it complete; not two.

Have you seen the Nintendo Switch scene and Atmosphere vs. SX OS? It feels like undergoing Vietnam flashbacks... having to trudge through debate after debate of X vs. Y, and new users being hopelessly confuzzled.

That's exactly what Vietnam was like. Let's not make Vietnam 2.

iball

« Reply #59 on: December 20, 2019, 02:04:15 am »
tiny wall of rage text
M'kay, sure. It's truly unfortunate you've had to undergo such a horrific experience, but then there's the greater majority of us who has solid hardware, and just wants one solid firmware to make it complete; not two.

Have you seen the Nintendo Switch scene and Atmosphere vs. SX OS? It feels like undergoing Vietnam flashbacks... having to trudge through debate after debate of X vs. Y, and new users being hopelessly confuzzled.

That's exactly what Vietnam was like. Let's not make Vietnam 2.
I doubt you know what Vietnam was like, however I know from firsthand experience what Bosnia, Kosovo, Iraq, and Afghanistan were like.
This doesn't compare in any way to any war or combat zone since the dawn of civilization.
It's not giving me any "flashbacks" and I've probably damn well seen and participated in more real-world war over a two decade time period compared to anyone else on this forum.
You picked the absolute wrong analogy to debate me with, son.  I'm old.  I've seen things you wouldn't believe.
If you don't like how things are going, then go do your own thing instead and stop trying to berate others into doing what you want.
Guess what *always* leads to war?  Berating others and trying to force them to do things they don't want to do.