Author Topic: RG-350_v1.5_BASE 231019 Firmware (STABLE RELEASE)  (Read 8318 times)

pcercuei

• My devblog
Re: RG-350 v1.7 17/11/2019 stable
« Reply #80 on: December 03, 2019, 12:52:08 pm »
Actually, you stated what you really wanted was kernel devs in response to our offer to help you . That's not even remotely an invitation.

Let me quote myself:
"Right now most of the work left is in the kernel and have a very high level of entry (working on DRM/KMS drivers isn't a stroll in the park), but there are still some things that devs without kernel development experience could do. For instance, improve GMenu2X, or anything in the rootfs, really."

So even script kiddies like you can find something to help with.

We definitely will be working on updated kernel and buildroot in order to get the latest etnaviv stuff going.
You do that. I'm already using the very latest etnaviv here.

As to your shiny new kernel...the latest isn't always the greatest. And you know that too.
Yeah right. Because everything I've been working on the past years was just to make the OS slower and buggier.

Tell me, what Linux kernel are most enterprises running these days? That would be the 3.x kernel. Because it's rock solid stable. There's a reason Red Hat is still using it.
Tell me, what company do you work in? We use 5.3 here on consumer products.

pcercuei

• My devblog
« Reply #81 on: December 03, 2019, 12:55:23 pm »
Not to poke the hornets nest that is this thread right now, but is there an image or something available for the RG350 to get the mainline OpenDingux running? I've been using the discord releases but there are like 20 different versions they've got out in the wild right now. An alternative would be hugely appreciated.
It's not yet ready for prime time, so there are no images available yet, sorry.

npaladin2000

« Reply #82 on: December 03, 2019, 01:10:46 pm »
Actually, you stated what you really wanted was kernel devs in response to our offer to help you . That's not even remotely an invitation.

Let me quote myself:
"Right now most of the work left is in the kernel and have a very high level of entry (working on DRM/KMS drivers isn't a stroll in the park), but there are still some things that devs without kernel development experience could do. For instance, improve GMenu2X, or anything in the rootfs, really."

So even script kiddies like you can find something to help with.

We definitely will be working on updated kernel and buildroot in order to get the latest etnaviv stuff going.
You do that. I'm already using the very latest etnaviv here.

As to your shiny new kernel...the latest isn't always the greatest. And you know that too.
Yeah right. Because everything I've been working on the past years was just to make the OS slower and buggier.

Tell me, what Linux kernel are most enterprises running these days? That would be the 3.x kernel. Because it's rock solid stable. There's a reason Red Hat is still using it.
Tell me, what company do you work in? We use 5.3 here on consumer products.

I work in a multinational ecommerce enterprise environment, managing more servers than you've seen in your entire life, and I do it every day, and I get paid handsomely for it.  I'm far from a "script kiddy." In our environment stability is key. Frankly the same applies in an embedded system like OpenDingux. OpenDingux is NOT a "consumer product." It's an embedded OS that drives a consumer product. 

Let me make something very clear. You don't know me. You don't know my resume. I've tried to treat you with respect, because unlike you, I DO respect the skillset of those who have different skills than myself. But you're the problem with you: you have an attitude issue, and that's why you're having trouble getting people to participate with you. Go ahead and play with your fancy new kernel, I hope you like it. Our group will instead continue to work on user-facing features and improvements that people are actually asking for and care about.

You don't have to bother replying to this one, I think I'm going to just block you. You're not worth the effort to try to work with. Good luck with your life.
Join the RetroGameHandhelds Discord: https://discord.gg/p4uRmCd

Partitipate in the RetroGameHandhelds GitHub, Wikis and FAQs: https://github.com/retrogamehandheld

HercTNT

« Reply #83 on: December 03, 2019, 01:50:41 pm »
Not to poke the hornets nest that is this thread right now, but is there an image or something available for the RG350 to get the mainline OpenDingux running? I've been using the discord releases but there are like 20 different versions they've got out in the wild right now. An alternative would be hugely appreciated.
those updates have not been ready for primetime for atleast 4 years now and many systems have come and gone in that time including the gcwo. That's entirely your business mind you and no one is demanding that you release anything, atleast i'm not. That being said, when people do make releases you seem to have a severe issue with it while touting the work your doing. Once again, maybe i'm being naive, but i have a question or two. If what they are putting together is old useless code, as you keep stating, then why do you even care that they work on it? If what you have works better and does more then how is it effected? Release it and let the public decide. I don't understand the pissing contest, is there not room for all of us? that i can tell you have been publicly invited twice now to work together and declined, don't put that on anyone else. Did you not say yourself they can work on whatever they want as long as they don't call it opendingux? So if they do that, and they don't call it opendingux, again, why do you care? I'm the bystander on the outside looking in admittadly knowing very little about what's going on behind the scenes, but from where i'm standing, you don't appear to want anyone but you working on anything at all.

pcercuei

• My devblog
« Reply #84 on: December 03, 2019, 02:27:25 pm »
I work in a multinational ecommerce enterprise environment, managing more servers than you've seen in your entire life, and I do it every day, and I get paid handsomely for it.  I'm far from a "script kiddy." In our environment stability is key. Frankly the same applies in an embedded system like OpenDingux. OpenDingux is NOT a "consumer product." It's an embedded OS that drives a consumer product.

Good for you. I write embedded software and kernel drivers for a living. My code runs in low-space orbit and in your car.

Let me make something very clear. You don't know me. You don't know my resume. I've tried to treat you with respect, because unlike you, I DO respect the skillset of those who have different skills than myself.

Stealing someone's code isn't really a mark of respect.

But you're the problem with you: you have an attitude issue, and that's why you're having trouble getting people to participate with you.

If that's keep people like you away, then I guess that's a good thing.

When working on OpenDingux, I participate with the upstream buildroot project, the upstream Linux project, the upstream Mesa project. I participate everywhere and other people participate to OpenDingux. You just make your own soup without participating to any upstream project.

Go ahead and play with your fancy new kernel, I hope you like it. Our group will instead continue to work on user-facing features and improvements that people are actually asking for and care about.
Right. Like Vulkan.  ;D

You're not worth the effort to try to work with.
That's easy to say that, now that I wrote all the code for you. Anyway, I think several people here would disagree with that. If you were willing to do the things right, you'd learn a lot in the process.

RxBrad

• RxBrad.com
« Reply #85 on: December 03, 2019, 02:35:35 pm »
My dad could beat up ALL OF YOUR DADS. /jokes

pcercuei

• My devblog
« Reply #86 on: December 03, 2019, 02:53:28 pm »
those updates have not been ready for primetime for atleast 4 years now and many systems have come and gone in that time including the gcwo. That's entirely your business mind you and no one is demanding that you release anything, atleast i'm not.
It's been an enormous amount of work, almost all the drivers were rewritten. It's maybe 95% done now.

That being said, when people do make releases you seem to have a severe issue with it while touting the work your doing.
I'm fine with them making firmware releases, as long as people understand it's not OpenDingux and it's unofficial, and as long as they play by the rules - keep the copyright on code that we wrote, and test their stuff before releasing upgrade OPKs that bick devices, because this is just sloppy. This is what triggered me at the beginning - you want to be firmware developers, fine, but do it right. With all the responsabilities that come with it.

Once again, maybe i'm being naive, but i have a question or two. If what they are putting together is old useless code, as you keep stating, then why do you even care that they work on it? If what you have works better and does more then how is it effected?
Again, it's OK that they work on it. It's just that they waste their work force on stuff we've had for a long time now, e.g. upstream etnaviv support. Reinventing the wheel isn't very productive.

Release it and let the public decide. I don't understand the pissing contest, is there not room for all of us? that i can tell you have been publicly invited twice now to work together and declined, don't put that on anyone else.
I'm not going to work on a firmware based on ~2014 OpenDingux. I work on OpenDingux.

Did you not say yourself they can work on whatever they want as long as they don't call it opendingux? So if they do that, and they don't call it opendingux, again, why do you care?
I don't.

I'm the bystander on the outside looking in admittadly knowing very little about what's going on behind the scenes, but from where i'm standing, you don't appear to want anyone but you working on anything at all.
That's the exact opposite; I do think that they should work with me. Remember, everything they do is based on my work.

skelton

« Reply #87 on: December 03, 2019, 03:27:11 pm »
I completely understand @pcercuei and @gameblabla points of view. I am not related to opendingux (I owned a GCW Zero long time ago, but never developed it for it, I am more focused on Android stuff), but from a dev point of view, I completely understand the situation. By the way, big thanks to those two amazing devs together with other ones this ingenic 4770 runs a very nice piece of software.
Retired

RxBrad

• RxBrad.com
« Reply #88 on: December 03, 2019, 04:14:14 pm »
On a more serious & less argumentative note... I know it's a dirty question to ask a developer, but do you have any estimates on a release date for your FW, @pcercuei ?  Days?  Weeks?  Months?  You say it's 95% done, but I don't have a good idea of how long this has been a work-in-progress.

It's interesting, I guess, that there are diverging branches of development for the unit.  Hopefully it doesn't end up with broken compatibility on one branch or another with existing/upcoming emulators.

I'm still a complete infant to the scene, and still trying to figure out all of the people like @pcercuei & @gameblabla & @tonyjih & @Jutleys & @npaladin2000 etc etc etc and how they fit in regarding OpenDingux/OpenRGH/whatever...  I just want to use my extremely limited skillset to help out whoever to get the RG-350 in a good place.

I don't know jack about kernels, so mainly I've been farting around Github, trying and failing to figure out why the volume always mutes if you go below 30% or so.  That's just my convoluted way of floating that bug report out there, I guess...   :-X

Jutleys (OP)

« Reply #89 on: December 03, 2019, 07:04:20 pm »
Hi all and how are we? Currently we are testing some updates in opk format beta testing should have something soon.

pcercuei

• My devblog
« Reply #90 on: December 03, 2019, 07:06:24 pm »
On a more serious & less argumentative note... I know it's a dirty question to ask a developer, but do you have any estimates on a release date for your FW, @pcercuei ?  Days?  Weeks?  Months?  You say it's 95% done, but I don't have a good idea of how long this has been a work-in-progress.
It's been in development on-off since the last GCW0 firmware release basically. What changed is that I have a day job now, other projects, and much less time to dedicate to it. If I have to give a rough estimate, I'd say it could be released sometime in Q2 2020.

HercTNT

« Reply #91 on: December 03, 2019, 07:55:27 pm »
My ranting is not helping anything as i'm against all this recent drama making me a hypocrite. I'm sorry for that and truly am just trying to understand. that being said, i don't have the skills of everyone involved and and just want to enjoy my system and the community that supports it. lets just all try to find a way to let everyone have there place and do there thing fairly and without stepping on each others toes. My rant is over and i apologize.

TheReaperUK

« Reply #92 on: December 04, 2019, 01:26:52 am »
Hi all and how are we? Currently we are testing some updates in opk format beta testing should have something soon.

Thanks, i will wait patiently for the stable release ;D
Lots of Handhelds but my favourite is still my GCW Zero and also RG-350, But the RG-300 is 2nd Best.

Jutleys (OP)

« Reply #93 on: Today at 11:40:34 am »
Its best to fall back to v1.5 for Rg350 some people have reported slowdown issues on v1.7 not to sure whats going on yet but there is some beta testing going on at the moment so i would advice fall back to v1.5 base thank you all.

Post a new topic