Author Topic: RG-350_v1.5_BASE 231019 Firmware (STABLE RELEASE)  (Read 8316 times)

pcercuei

• My devblog
Re: RG-350 v1.7 17/11/2019 stable
« Reply #60 on: November 20, 2019, 11:04:02 pm »
I can tell you right now most of the poeple on the Discord have no idea where to report which issues.
[...]
The big problem is that a lot of people don't know how to seperate firmware, OS, and software, and figure out where to report an issue they're running into for something.

Well, people on Discord and elsewhere are running the ~2014-era firmware, so the majority of the bug reports would be pretty useless unfortunately.

Oh, FYI, gmenu2x is nice and all, but gmenunx is is turning out very nice too. you might want to talk with Podulator, he's been working on adapting gmenunx to OpenDingux.

I'm pissed at GMenuNX, if they had improved OD's GMenu2X instead of the version they branched from (which was lightyears behind), everybody would have won and we'd have had a great menu system. They just had to reinvent the wheel...

npaladin2000

« Reply #61 on: November 21, 2019, 01:15:45 am »
I can tell you right now most of the poeple on the Discord have no idea where to report which issues.
[...]
The big problem is that a lot of people don't know how to seperate firmware, OS, and software, and figure out where to report an issue they're running into for something.

Well, people on Discord and elsewhere are running the ~2014-era firmware, so the majority of the bug reports would be pretty useless unfortunately.

Oh, FYI, gmenu2x is nice and all, but gmenunx is is turning out very nice too. you might want to talk with Podulator, he's been working on adapting gmenunx to OpenDingux.

I'm pissed at GMenuNX, if they had improved OD's GMenu2X instead of the version they branched from (which was lightyears behind), everybody would have won and we'd have had a great menu system. They just had to reinvent the wheel...
Well I would love to see the features that were added to gmenunx get added to gmenu2x, but as you pointed out, it would take a while for that to reach RG350 units given the current Firmware bases.  And a lot of dev happened on gmenunx while RetroFW was a thing.

When do you see being able to get a modern OpenDingux firmware out into the wild for the RG350 and PG2? I'd be very interested in seeing a modernized take on the the OS.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Join the RetroGameHandhelds Discord: https://discord.gg/p4uRmCd

Partitipate in the RetroGameHandhelds GitHub, Wikis and FAQs: https://github.com/retrogamehandheld

spyroskonst

« Reply #62 on: November 26, 2019, 11:16:38 pm »
Do you plan releasing an update opk?

Don't get me wrong, i tried to open the console, but the screws are in horrible condition and i can not.
So my only alternative is to update the firmware & not a clean install, since i can not open it....

ace9094

« Reply #63 on: November 27, 2019, 12:36:39 am »

Don't get me wrong, i tried to open the console, but the screws are in horrible condition and i can not.
So my only alternative is to update the firmware & not a clean install, since i can not open it....

Use a Phillips / cross head screwdriver from a glasses repair kit (?1 in the UK)

The metal screws are quite a soft metal so if you used a screwdriver too big or too small you will of threaded the screw heads and they will get no bite... Then you will need to use a tiny flat head screwdriver that is quite long and push quite firmly to get some torque to remove the screws. Once removed REPLACE the screws :)

Hope this helps
Dingoo A320, GCW0, RS-97 x2, Revo-K101, RS-90, PSP, GameGadget, New 3DS 128GB, PS Vita 200GB, RS-45, Gamebox Advance and a few other obscure devices

spyroskonst

« Reply #64 on: November 27, 2019, 08:52:37 am »
I unscrewed easily the first 2 screws, but on the 3rd one it didn't even budge. So i guess i was using a compatible (?) screwdriver. I will give it another shot once i got my hands other brand screws, but i do have already given up hope  :'(

ciberelfo

« Reply #65 on: November 27, 2019, 04:31:23 pm »
I have a question, Why has update 1.7 disappeared from the web and version 1.5 appears again?
(i refer to https://jutleys.wixsite.com/retrogamers97-90/post/rg-350-v1-0-firmware-release )
« Last Edit: November 27, 2019, 04:35:11 pm by ciberelfo »

adventureFAN

« Reply #66 on: November 30, 2019, 03:39:30 pm »
Because there are some feedback where people have issues with this firmware.
I had issues myself so I stay with 1.5 + OPK Update (27.10.).
My Handhelds: PS Vita, PSP (1000), New 3DS, NDS lite, GBA SP (without Backlight),
LCL GameBoy (RPI3A+), GPD XD (non-Plus) & RG350.

Favorite: LCL GameBoy

Recce

« Reply #67 on: November 30, 2019, 04:09:57 pm »
Because there are some feedback where people have issues with this firmware.
I had issues myself so I stay with 1.5 + OPK Update (27.10.).

What issues have you encountered? I'm on v1.7 firmware and so far seems ok.

Jenova

« Reply #68 on: December 01, 2019, 11:24:28 pm »
For more info about the RG-350 firmware updates, you will have to log into Discord & join jutley's server. He has been banned from dingoonity.

This is what i heard.

RxBrad

• RxBrad.com
« Reply #69 on: December 02, 2019, 02:06:42 pm »
For more info about the RG-350 firmware updates, you will have to log into Discord & join jutley's server. He has been banned from dingoonity.

This is what i heard.

Yikes...  Do we really need that kind of drama regarding a neat little gaming handheld?

Anyhow, just a heads up that it has been found that the intermittent slowdown issues reported with the 1.7.x firmwares have been found to possibly be only temporary.  If you let your unit run for 15-30 minutes after upgrading, the slowdowns eventually go away permanently.  Perhaps there's some initial install/indexing/something process that runs which hasn't been totally sorted out yet.

npaladin2000

« Reply #70 on: December 02, 2019, 07:12:52 pm »

This is what i heard.

Yikes...  Do we really need that kind of drama regarding a neat little gaming handheld?

Anyhow, just a heads up that it has been found that the intermittent slowdown issues reported with the 1.7.x firmwares have been found to possibly be only temporary.  If you let your unit run for 15-30 minutes after upgrading, the slowdowns eventually go away permanently.  Perhaps there's some initial install/indexing/something process that runs which hasn't been totally sorted out yet.

Correct. And just FYI to everyone, the firmware development has been organized into a single team which will have fewer releases that should be more tested. It's not going to be at an enterprise level of QA yet, but it'll be improved. Jutleys is NOT heading it up, but some members of our team will make sure that betas and releases go here, and there will be a GitHub link for reporting issues.

Partitipate in the RetroGameHandhelds GitHub, Wikis and FAQs: https://github.com/retrogamehandheld

pcercuei

• My devblog
« Reply #71 on: December 02, 2019, 07:36:13 pm »
Correct. And just FYI to everyone, the firmware development has been organized into a single team.
More like two teams.

npaladin2000

« Reply #72 on: December 02, 2019, 08:49:23 pm »
Correct. And just FYI to everyone, the firmware development has been organized into a single team.
More like two teams.

I asked you if you wanted to work with us so we could have a single firmware effort. You never responded.  And actually it's more like you're working on the base OS and buildroot, and we're customizing it with drivers and config for the specific devices themselves, at least at this point. Which is fine, if you want to do your thing, it's all good.

stareja

« Reply #73 on: December 02, 2019, 09:16:36 pm »
What are the chances of getting a suspend function? Preferably one that functions while emulators are still running? Save-stating and shutting down isn't terribly time-consuming, but having a suspend function so I can put the handheld down and back up quickly would be a great quality of life improvement.

pcercuei

• My devblog
« Reply #74 on: December 02, 2019, 09:49:35 pm »
I asked you if you wanted to work with us so we could have a single firmware effort. You never responded.
I invited anyone to join me to work on the future OpenDingux firmware, you never responded.

And actually it's more like you're working on the base OS and buildroot, and we're customizing it with drivers and config for the specific devices themselves, at least at this point. Which is fine, if you want to do your thing, it's all good.
Your shiny new firmware is a rusty 2014-era firmware with Linux 3.12, with plans to "update" to 2.x. Well, my RG-350 runs the Linux 5.4 kernel that was released one week ago. Which is fine, if you want to do your thing, it's all good. Just don't call it OpenDingux.

And btw, Vulkan 2.x? This shows how serious you guys are.

gameblabla

« Reply #75 on: December 02, 2019, 10:10:59 pm »
Your shiny new firmware is a rusty 2014-era firmware with Linux 3.12, with plans to "update" to 2.x. Well, my RG-350 runs the Linux 5.4 kernel that was released one week ago. Which is fine, if you want to do your thing, it's all good. Just don't call it OpenDingux.

I discovered this page completely by accident (i believe they sent me an invite to their page) but the moment i saw planned Vulkan 2.x support, i immediately cringed. npaladin knows nothing.

Yup, Tonyjih's RG350 firmware is mostly the old stable GCW0 with some backported code from upstream for BGR support and some fixes to rumble and some other RG-350's specific fixes. But its still the old kernel with the same old etnaviv driver.
He did say that he was planning to move the kernel to 4.9 though, which i am of course excited because i was tired of the old etnaviv driver bugs on the GCW0.

There is actually an update OPK that TonyJih released, its just that no one is aware of it.
Oh and yeah, the 1.6/1.7 "full" versions bring nothing new kernel-wise, you just need to look at the kernel's commits to know it.
Get them here from tony's repo :
https://github.com/tonyjih/RG350_linux/releases

uncletrunks

« Reply #76 on: December 02, 2019, 11:46:53 pm »
[...]

Not to poke the hornets nest that is this thread right now, but is there an image or something available for the RG350 to get the mainline OpenDingux running? I've been using the discord releases but there are like 20 different versions they've got out in the wild right now. An alternative would be hugely appreciated.

Recce

« Reply #77 on: December 03, 2019, 01:20:12 am »

There is actually an update OPK that TonyJih released, its just that no one is aware of it.
Oh and yeah, the 1.6/1.7 "full" versions bring nothing new kernel-wise, you just need to look at the kernel's commits to know it.
Get them here from tony's repo :
https://github.com/tonyjih/RG350_linux/releases

It looks like Jutleys full upgrade package basically incorporates Tony's firmware build plus all the latest versions of emulators, games, skins etc.

Is Tony the main firmware developer for RG350? I think I saw his name mentioned in those AliExpress RG350 product pages.

npaladin2000

« Reply #78 on: December 03, 2019, 07:20:15 am »
I asked you if you wanted to work with us so we could have a single firmware effort. You never responded.
I invited anyone to join me to work on the future OpenDingux firmware, you never responded.

And actually it's more like you're working on the base OS and buildroot, and we're customizing it with drivers and config for the specific devices themselves, at least at this point. Which is fine, if you want to do your thing, it's all good.

Actually, you stated what you really wanted was kernel devs in response to our offer to help you . That's not even remotely an invitation. As to Vulkan, hey, we can try to get it working. We definitely will be working on updated kernel and buildroot in order to get the latest etnaviv stuff going. As to your shiny new kernel...the latest isn't always the greatest. And you know that too. Tell me, what Linux kernel are most enterprises running these days? That would be the 3.x kernel. Because it's rock solid stable. There's a reason Red Hat is still using it.

It's really sad you want to be like this but if you want to brag about your shiny 5.x kernel and complain that gmenu2x still looks...well, like gmenu2x, maybe you need too think about why people want to spawn their own projects rather than work with you, hmmm? Anyway good luck in all your endeavors.

npaladin2000

« Reply #79 on: December 03, 2019, 07:43:31 am »

I discovered this page completely by accident (i believe they sent me an invite to their page) but the moment i saw planned Vulkan 2.x support, i immediately cringed. npaladin knows nothing.

One of the guys wants to try. I invited you out of courtesy, as I'm trying to organize these guys efforts (which were originally all over the place). If you don't want to be involved fine, but if you're going to be insulting then you're not wanted.

Post a new topic
Post a new topic