Author Topic: RG-350 v1.7 17/11/2019 stable  (Read 8187 times)

Recce

Re: RG-350 v1.7 17/11/2019 stable
« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2019, 01:12:47 am »
Guys read the instructions carefully clean all partitions from SD card first reflash then on first boot wait for ext4 expansion. You can download stuff from my website

Thanks for the information. Not sure if this needs to be said or not. But there are a lot of people like me that are new to using devices like this. The instructions are more then kinda vague, sure for people that are familiar with the procedures these vague instructions are more then enough. So, what do I do, I look online for more details. While there are videos showing exactly what to do, so far they do seem to contradict what what is being said here. I followed the instructions from ETA prime, he's normally pretty good with this stuff. Evidently not this time.

To be fair to ETA Prime, his video was correct as of the time the video was made. It's only in the latest firmware build whereby the auto EXT4 expansion is added instead of needing user to manually expanding it using diskgenius.

HercTNT

« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2019, 02:07:50 am »
agreed, i don't understand the nature of others to be negative if they have the ability to help and don't do so. surely being part of the solution would be more productive than being critical. isnt that supposed to be the nature of these forums? people working towards a common goal?
Who doesn't help who? We (OpenDingux developers) write the hard stuff, the drivers and userspace UI and tools, upstream our patches, while others just take our work to make a half-baked firmware based on some old 2014 GCW Zero firmware that will brick your device, without contributing back the tiny changes that they do. If people really want to make OpenDingux better, they can work with us, but right now nobody's helping.
First of all, I would be willing to argue that a large portion of the people in this forum don't even know who is progamming what. I know I don't. I know nothing of source code, or licenses, or whatever rules you are talking about. You talk to people as if they have the same level of understanding as you do. I'm willing to bet a good portion of the people in these forums just want to play games and get support for a system they own. so help me out here. help me understand why things are so bad as you make them. Let me ask this: is opendingux not opensource? if it is, are others not allowed to work on it? if they do, and give credit to others that have helped or contributed are they not doing the right thing? How is nobody helping? You were given an open invitation to step in and get things going in the right direction, is that not what you wanted? so before you get irritated with me, understand that i don't understand whats going on and frankly you can't expect me to or other people like me as: we are not coders, we dont' have your skills, we just wanna play our systems, have a good time, and interact with others in this forum.

pcercuei

• My devblog
« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2019, 11:45:54 am »
Let me ask this: is opendingux not opensource? if it is, are others not allowed to work on it? if they do, and give credit to others that have helped or contributed are they not doing the right thing? How is nobody helping?

They don't contribute, that's the problem. OpenDingux is open-source, and people are welcome to work with us on it, not make their own sauce based on our work. Otherwise they should just call it differently.

You were given an open invitation to step in and get things going in the right direction, is that not what you wanted?

You're getting it backwards. They're having fun monkey-patching the 2014-era system and release alpha-quality firmware updates with almost no change. Meanwhile, we're working on the real OpenDingux with the latest and greatest Linux and Buildroot stuff. The right direction is always forward.

so before you get irritated with me, understand that i don't understand whats going on and frankly you can't expect me to or other people like me as: we are not coders, we dont' have your skills, we just wanna play our systems, have a good time, and interact with others in this forum.

I know, and the reason why you can play your system and have a good time is because me & mth wrote the firmware for you.

yoshi41

« Reply #43 on: November 18, 2019, 03:37:23 pm »
Meanwhile, we're working on the real OpenDingux with the latest and greatest Linux and Buildroot stuff.

Sounds great! Hopefully we get something like the GCW0 repo for the RG-350 in the future.

I know, and the reason why you can play your system and have a good time is because me & mth wrote the firmware for you.

This and the emu developers. Thanks to all for the hard work!
Emulator packs and fact sheets for Wiz, Caanoo, Dingoo and Pandora.

eltehero

« Reply #44 on: November 18, 2019, 09:25:29 pm »
Meanwhile, we're working on the real OpenDingux with the latest and greatest Linux and Buildroot stuff.

Sounds great! Hopefully we get something like the GCW0 repo for the RG-350 in the future.

This and the emu developers. Thanks to all for the hard work!

Yes absolutely agree with yoshi.

Pcercuei many thanks for your and other devs of hard work. the gcw zero was only great because of your OpenDingux and team efforts. We had so much fun with the gcw zero, much appreciated. Really looking forward to the latest real OpenDingux.

What systems in particular is your OpenDingux in development for?

pcercuei

• My devblog
« Reply #45 on: November 18, 2019, 11:36:34 pm »
RS-90, A320, GCW Zero, RG-350.

eltehero

« Reply #46 on: November 19, 2019, 05:34:14 am »

That's great. Any idea of a release date? or is it still ways off? btw there is the pocketgo 2 out soon which is another device with the JZ4770 CPU and looks very similar to the gcw zero which you may want to add to the list?.

Thanks again for your hard work.

crazyhorse2352

« Reply #47 on: November 19, 2019, 05:41:50 am »
Release your firmware and let users decide which they think is best and which they would rather use on their system.Release something being the important words here.

Caligula

« Reply #48 on: November 19, 2019, 08:14:34 am »
A big "Thank You!" for all the people involved in this one.

I still have the v1.5 Firmware. Things that bothered me with that one were:

1. pcsx4all v2.4 - when the Analog Arrow Keys are on, the Select button no longer functions;
2. Temper v1.24 - when loading a state, the text "Loaded state x" doesn't go away and flickers in the background (only "Loade" can be seen).
3. Wasn't able to play a single ScummVM compatible game (I can add games but it throws me out as soon as I start a game).

Is any of these issues fixed in 1.7? Thank you!
« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 08:31:30 am by Caligula »

Nikojiro

« Reply #49 on: November 19, 2019, 11:02:46 am »

It's great news,

If you want to step in and tell the community what's happening with OpenDingux,you need to communicate. How about to open a separate topic with progress reports, call for volunteers on specific topics, etc... ? Or maybe a Discord channel?

A bunch of people here were not around in 2014 or never had a GCW Zero. So basically they don't know you or your work. While it may be frustrating, it's quite normal, this is such a niche community and time flows fast. Hence some communication is necessary so that we understand the lineage of OpenDingux and your standpoint. Denigration and harsh words won't help with that, no offence meant...

It's your right to think whatever you like about the current releases, but from the user standpoint they're currently the only support available on the device. While I agree that the quality and frequency of releases may be somewhat questionable, I still feel grateful for the support.

A positive communication would help the community understand what you're trying to achieve, right?
« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 11:04:57 am by Nikojiro »

pcercuei

• My devblog
« Reply #50 on: November 19, 2019, 11:46:42 am »
A bunch of people here were not around in 2014 or never had a GCW Zero. So basically they don't know you or your work.
So you're saying that they didn't know the firmware was written by OpenDingux devs?
I guess the logo on the boot screen wasn't big enough.

And this is not about me, this is about participating to a project. They are not working on OpenDingux, they patching an old 2014-era version with stuff they will never contribute back. Meanwhile, we have no help on the upstream project. That's what makes me angry.

Nikojiro

« Reply #51 on: November 19, 2019, 01:34:27 pm »
While the OpenDingux logo is known, few have the slightest idea of who contributed!

I do understand your concern, my point is just that your only real option is to build another group of contributors, with some positive communication, and release a firmware that you are satisfied with, rightfully branded OpenDingux.

Hint hint, RG-350 owner would kill for clean OPK updates and a good OPK repo just like it was with the GCW Zero (oh well I for one would kill for that) 8)

It's  easier said than done of course.

I'm pretty sure that if you communicate in a positive manner about such a project, you'll have people ready to help.  I am a developer myself, if given the chance (and a bit of tutoring) I might try to help.

I take it that the repository is this one : https://github.com/OpenDingux?
« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 01:36:02 pm by Nikojiro »

crazyhorse2352

« Reply #52 on: November 19, 2019, 02:41:39 pm »
Yeah i was a bit hasty, i see now you released updates for the gcw zero in 2014.

RowleyBirkinQC

« Reply #53 on: November 19, 2019, 03:32:03 pm »
I'd like to say a big thank you to all developers currently working on this, I personally appreciate it hugely, you are allowing me more features/stability/support for a device I have been very excited about owning.

To the people complaining about the instructions and difficulty of install, you should understand what kind of device you are buying before you do so, research into it yourself if needs be, people are here to help but they are already working very hard on providing these updates, don't give them crap, be thankful and patient, with a little research you can find the answers quite easily.

I am happy to help myself if I can and you are stuck, rather than vent at the developers chuck me a message and I'll see what I can do. Not that I am any expert but I can help with installs/updates etc.

HercTNT

« Reply #54 on: November 19, 2019, 06:15:30 pm »

It's great news,

If you want to step in and tell the community what's happening with OpenDingux,you need to communicate. How about to open a separate topic with progress reports, call for volunteers on specific topics, etc... ? Or maybe a Discord channel?

A bunch of people here were not around in 2014 or never had a GCW Zero. So basically they don't know you or your work. While it may be frustrating, it's quite normal, this is such a niche community and time flows fast. Hence some communication is necessary so that we understand the lineage of OpenDingux and your standpoint. Denigration and harsh words won't help with that, no offence meant...

It's your right to think whatever you like about the current releases, but from the user standpoint they're currently the only support available on the device. While I agree that the quality and frequency of releases may be somewhat questionable, I still feel grateful for the support.

A positive communication would help the community understand what you're trying to achieve, right?

This is essentially what i have been trying to say. However anyone who asks questions or looks for clarification is usually chastised for being impatient or ungreatful. considering "official" updates have not been released in what, 5 or 6 years, it's hard for people who don't know the process, or don't know who is doing what to not ask questions. All i want is for everyone to have clear communication and move forward so everyone benefits. And I am trying to educate myself. the more we discuss the more i learn.

shack

« Reply #55 on: November 20, 2019, 12:52:55 am »
Hello all!

While I anxiously await the delivery of my RG-350, I am sitting here reviewing the recent custom firmware image (RG-350_BASE_v1.7_171119.img), and I have a few questions.  So, I decided to create an account and say, "hey!"

1) Looking through /etc/ (in rootfs.squashfs) I was a bit surprised by /etc/init.d/S99swap.sh creating 2 swapfiles: one using zram (i.e. compressed RAM) and one on the SDcard, the parameters for each being sourced from /etc/swap.conf.  It would appear that by default on Firmware 1.7 the RG-350 is setup to use a 20MB zram and 512MB on the SD card.  Appropriately, zram is given priority over the SD card swap file.  Given zram achieves a compression ratio between 2:1 and 3:1 in general, this amounts to ~40MB to ~60MB usable RAM -- an increase of about 20MB to 40MB at the cost of CPU usage to perform the compression & decompression in realtime.

Has anybody investigated tweaking this?  Does this system generally see more RAM pressure or CPU pressure?  I'm would guess CPU.

Again, I don't have my unit yet, so I can't play with it.

Given the unit comes with 512 MB physical RAM, the choice to use a 20MB zram swap file kinda seems like a desperation move or, perhaps, something left over from when this image was ported to the RG-350 from another device that probably had far less RAM.  Interesting none the less.  Perhaps unnecessary?

2) It appears that the rtl8188eu.ko and rtl8192cu.ko WiFi kernel modules are being loaded -- 1.1M and 670K, respectively.  Also, /etc/network/if-post-{up, down}.d/ scripts appear to invoke wpa_supplicant.  I know it has been answered in other threads that this device does not have WiFi (I haven't checked the PCB).  Given that both the rtl8188 and rtl8192 back USB WiFi dongles, I'm guessing that perhaps the devs just use these during development, or is there a network setup entry in the main UI?

It would appear from /etc/init.d/S40network that upon boot the system tries to bring up all network interfaces, which would include any plugged WiFi dongles.  Also avahi (an mDNS daemon) is being brought up at boot as well.  So, I'm guessing even if the main UI is not hip to providing interactive WiFi config, any apps (like a media player) might be able to find and stream video/music/etc content.  Anybody tried this with a USB-C to USB-A adapter and an rtl8188 or rtl8192 backed WiFi dongle?

Again, waiting for my unit still, so can't check, but I'm somewhat excited by the possibility.

3) I'm curious, is the source code available?  For both the kernel and for stuff like /usr/sbin/lowpowd, /usr/sbin/pwswd, etc?  I'm guessing the currently in use kernel tree is @ GitHub /OpenDingux/linux ?  I'm not seeing the userland utilities for the power stuff in the OpenDingux repo.

Thanks ya'll.

AndreaSpooky

« Reply #56 on: November 20, 2019, 11:12:55 am »
what are the features of this "real opendingux"?

pcercuei

• My devblog
« Reply #57 on: November 20, 2019, 11:21:40 am »
Hi,

1) The base firmware is the 2014-08-20 release of OpenDingux for the GCW Zero with small changes made by Tony. The fact that it only has 20 MiB of zram surprises me, I don't know if he or someone else changed it, or maybe it was already that way on the GCW Zero. I honestly don't remember.

About what's pressuring the system, it's not easy to answer. There's largely enough RAM (most games and emus won't use more than 64 MiB), but for instance when using the GPU, the RAM is the limiting factor - not the size, the speed.

2) These modules are for the GCW Zero's WiFi chips, which are connected to an internal USB bus. /etc/init.d/S40network doesn't bring up the wireless interface but all the others.

3) Of course. The Linux kernel, Buildroot and bootloader (ubiboot) patched for the RG-350 are on Tony's github: https://github.com/tonyjih. lowpowd is in the Buildroot repo (package/lowpowd/lowpowd.c), pwswd is at (https://github.com/gcwnow/pwswd).

pcercuei

• My devblog
« Reply #58 on: November 20, 2019, 11:39:30 am »
I'm pretty sure that if you communicate in a positive manner about such a project, you'll have people ready to help.  I am a developer myself, if given the chance (and a bit of tutoring) I might try to help.

Right now most of the work left is in the kernel and have a very high level of entry (working on DRM/KMS drivers isn't a stroll in the park), but there are still some things that devs without kernel development experience could do. For instance, improve GMenu2X, or anything in the rootfs, really.

Yes, most of the repos are there, except for UBIBoot which is at https://github.com/pcercuei/ubiboot

npaladin2000

« Reply #59 on: November 20, 2019, 10:34:51 pm »

Right now most of the work left is in the kernel and have a very high level of entry (working on DRM/KMS drivers isn't a stroll in the park), but there are still some things that devs without kernel development experience could do. For instance, improve GMenu2X, or anything in the rootfs, really.

Yes, most of the repos are there, except for UBIBoot which is at https://github.com/pcercuei/ubiboot

I can tell you right now most of the poeple on the Discord have no idea where to report which issues. It's something I'm trying to help organize but it's a bit like herding cats. Should we start considering https://github.com/OpenDingux as an official source for any firmware updates and/or place to report certain issues?? I'll get it posted on the Wiki I'm managing for this and the upcoming PocketGo2 as part of our efforts (we're trying to get a central list of software together too, including project status, so people know where to take their issues).  The big problem is that a lot of people don't know how to seperate firmware, OS, and software, and figure out where to report an issue they're running into for something.

Oh, FYI, gmenu2x is nice and all, but gmenunx is is turning out very nice too. you might want to talk with Podulator, he's been working on adapting gmenunx to OpenDingux.
Join the RetroGameHandhelds Discord: https://discord.gg/p4uRmCd

Partitipate in the RetroGameHandhelds GitHub, Wikis and FAQs: https://github.com/retrogamehandheld