Author Topic: RG-350 development wishlist  (Read 4975 times)

Nikojiro (OP)

RG-350 development wishlist
« on: October 03, 2019, 10:00:58 am »
Hi!

I got my RG-350 a week ago, and I've been getting to grips with it since then. I found a couple of issues / enhancements I'd like to be brought to the system and emulators, so I thought I'd start a sort of wishlist for the developers.

So far all I wish would be to bring a couple of quality of life improvements from RetroFW to the RG-350. As far as I understand, a straight port of RetroFW can't really happen, since we have a somewhat different hardware here, and notably a GPU.

Feel free to contribute  ;D

GMenu

• After adding a lot of images to the default theme wallpapers folder, the wallpaper picker crashes after scrolling through a dozen lines
  • Support for newer themes (Comic Book, Fontigrid, etc...)
  • Support for preview images / box art in the file picker
  • Button combo / long press to bring up a power off / reboot dialog

All of these points could be ironed out by porting GMenu (is it GMenuNX?) from RetroFW to RG-350 OpenDingux.

Emulators

• Unified emulator menu key combo (like on RetroFW), power button seems to be the natural candidate
  • Support for analogs in emulators (currently only PocketSNES handles the left analog as dpad input)
  • N64 emulation  8) That's a huge one. Nebuleon's alpha emu is already amazing groundworks!

Pcsx4All

• Support for analog sticks
  • Bilinear filtering / smoothing

Mastersystem emulation

• A port of gameblabla's fabulous SMS GX Plus would rock (with support for left analog stick ;D)
« Last Edit: October 09, 2019, 03:31:36 pm by Nikojiro »

fosamax

Re: RG-350 development wishlist
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2019, 10:41:35 am »
As soon as analog control will be supported, I really hope to see a special fba version strip down to play vertical arcade games (namely shmups) with the device rotated clockwise (with right analog stick and buttons)

For better experience, gui should be rotated also to allow a more natural feeling.

Upgrading to FBN (final burn neo) would be also welcomed to cut down with licensing issue as well as added drivers.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2019, 11:01:44 am by fosamax »

exorio

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2019, 10:57:14 am »
ports :

Quake
Quake 2
Duke Nukem 3D
Blood
Shadow Warrior?
Descent-dxx dingux
ECWolf
Rise of the Triad
GZDoom (will RG350 powerful enough to run Brutal Doom though?)

Nikojiro (OP)

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2019, 02:08:29 pm »
Some of the ports you mentioned are already available: Quake 1 & 2, eDuke32.

I've found a handy Google Drive share with about every OPK ever released : https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1gF5AHpe5V-o-G9FyzrhFJ2oTPBSBke50

You also have chocolate-doom, Hexen 2 and other game ports such as Cave Story, Reminiscence.

exorio

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2019, 02:21:03 pm »
Some of the ports you mentioned are already available: Quake 1 & 2, eDuke32.

I've found a handy Google Drive share with about every OPK ever released : https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1gF5AHpe5V-o-G9FyzrhFJ2oTPBSBke50

You also have chocolate-doom, Hexen 2 and other game ports such as Cave Story, Reminiscence.

I know. I own an LDK. Those are pretty much the games already available on LDK and RS-97.

On LDK Quake 2 and Duke 3D can't play properly since it only have 6 buttons.

Only up to Quake 1 is playable on LDK.

On this thing however, 12 buttons should be feasible to experience those games fully.

Chocolate-doom can't run brutal doom. I don't know whether it's feasible on these kind of device or not, but hey brutal doom on the go is a wet dream come true.

Blood port should be sweet, somebody mention it awhile ago, it already have pi port, so it should be able to be ported onto this.

Descent-dxx however, isn't ported to "modern dingux" yet.

Kino

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2019, 02:39:01 pm »
As soon as analog control will be supported, I really hope to see a special fba version strip down to play vertical arcade games (namely shmups) with the device rotated clockwise (with right analog stick and buttons)

For better experience, gui should be rotated also to allow a more natural feeling.

Upgrading to FBN (final burn neo) would be also welcomed to cut down with licensing issue as well as added drivers.

A chinese developer had made up this new version fba and it worked.

Timika

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2019, 03:13:58 pm »
ports :

Quake
Quake 2
Duke Nukem 3D
Blood
Shadow Warrior?
Descent-dxx dingux
ECWolf
Rise of the Triad
GZDoom (will RG350 powerful enough to run Brutal Doom though?)

If OpenGL --> GZDOOM
Not OpenGL--> ZDOOM

I hope that someday ZDOOM will be port on the rg350, the usefulness of the two sticks will have a real interest for me.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2019, 03:15:50 pm by Timika »

exorio

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2019, 05:25:28 pm »

A chinese developer had made up this new version fba and it worked.

suhhhweeettt

BTW I notice neverball on the google drive

that would be awesome addition to these dingux clones

also Hexen 2

and

"methane" (super methane brothers?); very awesome bubble bobble clone, I play it a lot on PC long time ago

Xaijiqq

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2019, 04:57:19 am »
are there any gcw zero emulators that currently work with this device right out of the box?  wasn't it compatible with .opk files?  just curious if xmame can be playable now

Kino

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2019, 10:45:17 am »
yes, this machine can run all the .opk files from GCWzero.

Xaijiqq

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2019, 06:28:52 am »
that is good news :) just noticed some recent videos with xmame installed.  also we'll have the 2.0 update soon enough

ace9094

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2019, 12:02:41 am »
It would be good to see those old Dingoo A320 "3D Games" Like 7 Days etc

Would that even be possible?
Dingoo A320, GCW0, RS-97 x2, Revo-K101, RS-90, PSP, GameGadget, New 3DS 128GB, PS Vita 200GB, RS-45, Gamebox Advance and a few other obscure devices

Surkow

• * Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2019, 12:57:46 am »
It would be good to see those old Dingoo A320 "3D Games" Like 7 Days etc

Would that even be possible?
No, there is no compatibility layer/emulator for uC/OS-II (the native OS of the Dingoo A320) programs for OpenDingux based devices.

CSX

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2019, 04:44:03 pm »
Is someone still working on FCEUX?

Particularly on video settings. Original is in fact 3:4 (which is not a correct ratio albeit pixel to pixel), and "aspect" has weird artefacts (kind of like a screen tearing but not).

gameblabla

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2019, 02:54:36 am »
I'm working on a version of PCSX4ALL with Dualshock support :
https://github.com/gameblabla/pcsx4all/releases

It's based on part4 with some improvements to HLE bios too.
I'm still waiting for part5 by senquack but he's busy with real life and i heard that he's still removing a lot of old code by Chui :(

Ape Escape is now playable with both sticks, just like on the real PS1.
The RG-350 can't do L3/R3, which are basically when you press the analog sticks.
The sticks are reportedly not clickable and there are no dedicated L3/R3 buttons either.

Some help would be appreciate for merging code from PCSX Rearmed to fix those issues, i would like to thank JamesOFarrel and JBDoge for the help.

iball

« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2019, 03:01:54 am »
The RG-350 can't do L3/R3, which are basically when you press the analog sticks.
The sticks are reportedly not clickable and there are no dedicated L3/R3 buttons either.
Weird.  In the video I've seen the sticks are clickable.  Are you saying they're clickable but not hooked up to anything?

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TXgMNDB6jc" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TXgMNDB6jc</a>

gameblabla

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2019, 05:55:20 am »
Weird.  In the video I've seen the sticks are clickable.  Are you saying they're clickable but not hooked up to anything?
Nevermind, the sticks are actually clickable and exposed by the kernel.
I added support for those in PCSX4ALL :
https://github.com/gameblabla/pcsx4all/releases/tag/2

Not sure if it works ingame but it should. Let me know if you encounter issues with games when forced to Dualshock mode.

ace9094

« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2019, 08:07:44 am »
Nevermind, the sticks are actually clickable and exposed by the kernel.
I added support for those in PCSX4ALL :
https://github.com/gameblabla/pcsx4all/releases/tag/2

Not sure if it works ingame but it should. Let me know if you encounter issues with games when forced to Dualshock mode.

TOTAL Legend !!! - So looking forward to mine arriving... 
Dingoo A320, GCW0, RS-97 x2, Revo-K101, RS-90, PSP, GameGadget, New 3DS 128GB, PS Vita 200GB, RS-45, Gamebox Advance and a few other obscure devices

ace9094

« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2019, 08:10:14 am »
On the original GCW Zero they had an Alpha copy of RetroArch - Anyone know if it would be possible to  get that working ?

I could then work on some playlists for romsets as they can be released without roms and links posted without breaking any rules :)

gameblabla

« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2019, 08:13:29 am »
On the original GCW Zero they had an Alpha copy of RetroArch - Anyone know if it would be possible to  get that working ?
I could then work on some playlists for romsets as they can be released without roms and links posted without breaking any rules :)
You could already use that precompiled OPK for testing. Of course, i could update the Retroarch port but i heard that there were some issues with it and the 3D acceleration... Not sure though but either way, a native port will always perform faster

Post a new topic