• HomeBoards
  • RulesRules
  • HelpHelp
  • WikiWiki
  • Donate

Author Topic: Questions about RG-350M. 640x480 scaling. Retroarch... Thanks  (Read 1477 times)

renejr902 (OP)

Questions about RG-350M. 640x480 scaling. Retroarch... Thanks
« on: November 05, 2020, 02:28:20 am »
Hi! I have several handheld. Pocket go v2, RG-350, RGB10, Hacked vita 1000 and slim, gpd win, xd+..

So i know a lot about theses handheld.

But about the RG-350M:

1. i want to know, how well its scale the 640x480 in different emulator, especially FCEUM and nes games. In fceumm dingux emulator and fceumm retroarch emulator, Could it upscale the resolution in 640x480 and looks good in both emulators( i prefer software fullscreen mode because i hate smoothing features, let me know about that too.) ? I played a lot of retroarch with my Rg-350 and pocket go v2 because the scaling is much better than standard dingux emulator. In retroarch Fceum and gambatte looks much better with scaling than dingux emulator.

2. So can the rg-350m in retroarch upscale resolution to 640x480 in emulator like FCEUM ? If yes does it look great ?

3. Does Retroarch detect the 640x480 lcd resolution of the rg-350m ? ( without the automated lcd hardware scaling in fullscreen)
If yes, how does it look in Fceum without bilinear filtering ? (smoothing) And can fceumm in retroarch run with full speed no frameskip or slowdown on rg-350m upscaled in 640x480 in software mode ? ( and fceumm in retroarch, is it 100 % fullspeed in lcd hardware fullscreen mode )

In my PS vita Fceum in retroarch looks really great because retroarch upscale FCEUM to 960x544 and looks really great. But the retroarch PSP emulator with fceuum core,  dont look really good because the upscale is only 480x272 and that scale really bad.

4. I read that rg-350m upscale a lot of resolution to fullscreen with hardware scaling and that look awful. Does it apply to fceum. Can i run fceum dingux emulator in fullscreen in software mode ( "fast" setting if i remember) without using the lcd hardware scaling mode that suppose to look bad ?

5. How is the rg350m fullscreen scaling picture quality in the differents emulators ? ( which one use the lcd hardware fullscreen scaling andxwhich one let you choose fullscreen in software mode. I prefer software mode because i dont like smoothing features.)

I hope someone have tested retroarch with rg350m and can tell how its look in emulator and fceum. Thanks a lot for answers and help.

I know my questions are complicated ! I hope you got my point and that you understand my questions guys :)

Im sorry my english is far from perfect too.

Thanks a lot for answer and help.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2020, 02:33:48 am by renejr902 »

renejr902 (OP)

Re: Questions about RG-350M. 640x480 scaling. Retroarch... Thanks
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2020, 12:35:32 am »
Nobody can help me ? I just found a new nes fceum emulator with hardware scaling that work with the normal rg350 too. I put it fullscreen with power +a and I pushed the dpad down + power for the best clarity and sharpness. Its much better than fs fast or fs smooth. How does it look with the rg350m ? is it a real 640x480 upscaling ? Does it look better than with rg350 with the same hardware scaling? ( For example: With the normal rg350 in super mario bros, there are brick blocks with thick black lines inside. Does it do that with rg350m too ? , or is it upscale it better ?)

Thanks for answer and help. it would be very appreciated.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2020, 12:45:07 am by renejr902 »

Nikojiro

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2020, 02:43:30 pm »
Hi, I have the original 350 and recently got a 350P after I returned a 350M. In my opinion the 350M is not good, because the software being the same, emulators render at 320x240 and then hardware scaling upscales every frame to 640x480, but it's not applying any filtering, so the resulting image is way too sharp (that's 4 pixels on screen per rendered pixel) and looks horribly pixelated for me. Also I encounetred hardware scaling issues with several emulators (FCEUmm included but I managed to find a working version).

So I would not recommend the 350M, I don't understand why it got so much praise from reviewers,ok it looks gorgeous, but software-wise it's a disappointment. The 350P on the other hand is the sweet spot to me, the screen is much better (on the 350 you could see the pixel matrix, that's not the case anymore).

renejr902 (OP)

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2020, 04:54:02 pm »
Hi, I have the original 350 and recently got a 350P after I returned a 350M. In my opinion the 350M is not good, because the software being the same, emulators render at 320x240 and then hardware scaling upscales every frame to 640x480, but it's not applying any filtering, so the resulting image is way too sharp (that's 4 pixels on screen per rendered pixel) and looks horribly pixelated for me. Also I encounetred hardware scaling issues with several emulators (FCEUmm included but I managed to find a working version).

So I would not recommend the 350M, I don't understand why it got so much praise from reviewers,ok it looks gorgeous, but software-wise it's a disappointment. The 350P on the other hand is the sweet spot to me, the screen is much better (on the 350 you could see the pixel matrix, that's not the case anymore).

Thanks so much for answer. Its really appreciated ! I was about to buy it today. So i hesitate now, i really appreciated your answer.
So if it does 4 pixels for 1. I its not upscaling the quality of resolution ? right.  The ps vita fceum emulator looks better than the psp fceum emulator on the on my Ps vita slim. So its not the case with the rg350m vs rg350. But on the Vita retroarch do the scaling and it did it well.

Did you try retroarch and fceumm ?

Thanks so much :)

( Edit: By any chance, Do you have any screenshot of it in Fceumm ? )
« Last Edit: November 06, 2020, 05:01:55 pm by renejr902 »

johnnyonflame

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2020, 07:12:54 pm »

There's a setting to change the scaling sharpness.

Thanks so much for answer. Its really appreciated ! I was about to buy it today. So i hesitate now, i really appreciated your answer.
So if it does 4 pixels for 1. I its not upscaling the quality of resolution ? right.  The ps vita fceum emulator looks better than the psp fceum emulator on the on my Ps vita slim. So its not the case with the rg350m vs rg350. But on the Vita retroarch do the scaling and it did it well.

The upscaling is fine, 640x480 in the long run will be better since it allows for more even scaling.

renejr902 (OP)

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2020, 12:47:42 am »

There's a setting to change the scaling sharpness.

The upscaling is fine, 640x480 in the long run will be better since it allows for more even scaling.

Thanks a lot for answer. Did you try retroarch with the rg350M?
I'm VERY curious to know if the scaling in retroarch work correctly in real upscale 640x480 resolution and if Fceumm in retroarch can run fullspeed in 640x480 ?

I know about the scaling sharpness setting ( power +dpad )
But when you say 640x480 scaling is fine, did you test it Fceumm dingux emulator ? or which emulators ?

Thanks a lot for answer !
« Last Edit: November 07, 2020, 12:50:18 am by renejr902 »

renejr902 (OP)

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2020, 04:26:16 am »
I bought it at discount on bangood from USA to Canada. It should not be long. Thanks for all previous answers guys. I will let you know my feedback after i tested it.

Post a new topic