Author Topic: Query from a new user of these portable gaming devices  (Read 861 times)

Recce (OP)

Query from a new user of these portable gaming devices
« on: November 17, 2019, 03:47:52 pm »
Hi, I'm a new user of these retro gaming devices and also a newly registered user of this forum.

I understand devices from big names like Sony, Nintendo etc when they release new products they will have regular firmware updates with bug fixes, new features etc. But from what I've gathered in this forum for the past few weeks, it appears the RG350 does not follow such trends?

Is it a norm that when a China company released devices such as the RG350, they will totally forget about it and just move on with new hardwares in the future? My concern is that right now the official firmware for RG350 does not even have TV-out from the HDMI connector and also no video out from the A/V connector (HDMI out is one of the main reasons I bought the device in the first place).

Can we expect them to update an official firmware with the HDMI or A/V out enabled? Is the hardware even properly wired for outputing video signal at all, or is it just an unconnected HDMI port soldered on the PCB to trick buyers?

On a related note, it seems there are individual developers actively updating the firmware for free, which means that if the individual developers are busy in real life (or if they choose to) there will not be any updates at all since there is no incentive for them to do so in the first place.

And I'm wondering is it difficult for the individual developers to add HDMI or A/V out for the RG350? Since the original RG350 firmware does not have this feature, I assume they will have to write the code from scatch which may not be possible at all?

ace9094

Re: Query from a new user of these portable gaming devices
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2019, 05:12:51 pm »
Hi, I'm a new user of these retro gaming devices and also a newly registered user of this forum.

Hey Welcome...
Personally I think these open source devices are much better than big brand devices... However they do come with a slight learning curve, but there is lots of help, guides and videos to help you get through.

I understand devices from big names like Sony, Nintendo etc when they release new products they will have regular firmware updates with bug fixes, new features etc. But from what I've gathered in this forum for the past few weeks, it appears the RG350 does not follow such trends?

Not normally for Chinese devices, these are open source and intended for the emulation community. While big players like Sony Nintendo etc do release updates regular for bug fixes etc, but also to stop unsigned code from being run (piracy of the latest software) - This is frowned upon badly and for good reason. THAT SAID Collects of retro games get to play a game and decide if it is worth spending big money on retro originals. To be honest I think many of the big players made there money long ago on retro titles.

Is it a norm that when a China company released devices such as the RG350, they will totally forget about it and just move on with new hardwares in the future?
Kind of.... BUT it is the hard work of the enthusiasts and Dev's in the community that make these devices thrive... I think it might of started with the GPX and GP2x... Then for me the scene exploded with the Dingoo A320 in to 1000's of users and fans.

My concern is that right now the official firmware for RG350 does not even have TV-out from the HDMI connector and also no video out from the A/V connector (HDMI out is one of the main reasons I bought the device in the first place).
I have learned that most Chinese firms rely on the Devs and community to create better firmware and fix issues. Just be patient and "hopefully" someone will fix it. I have never like TV Out on handheld devices as I play tons of beat em ups and ports can loosen during a heated match  ;D

Can we expect them to update an official firmware with the HDMI or A/V out enabled? Is the hardware even properly wired for outputing video signal at all, or is it just an unconnected HDMI port soldered on the PCB to trick buyers?

Not sure to be honest, BUT I will say this, Ambernic seem to actually care about this device and seem to be actively working on stuff for this device. I think have sent out test units to Devs here on Dingoonity and also the reviwers on youtube. Check out people like Taki Udon (amazing videos and coverage), ETA Prime a seasoned youtube pro and TechJames UK guy quite new to open source devices) 

On a related note, it seems there are individual developers actively updating the firmware for free, which means that if the individual developers are busy in real life (or if they choose to) there will not be any updates at all since there is no incentive for them to do so in the first place.

Not quite correct, some do actively work on these devices and share there work for free. Many devs will have paypal and you can support them by donating or being active member in a community helping other where possible and sharing your ideas, experiences etc. Maybe consider a "Bounty offer" to get it running...

There are good people in the world who help others because they can not because they want something. I aint no Dev, just a regular joe, but if I had something I made that was good, I would like to share it. I spent countless hours creating artwork for the Xbox Vision Project, then shared it out so everyone could also enjoy it.

And I'm wondering is it difficult for the individual developers to add HDMI or A/V out for the RG350? Since the original RG350 firmware does not have this feature, I assume they will have to write the code from scratch which may not be possible at all?

This came up not long ago, (I think) the GCW Zero had HDMI out running as "Proof of Concept" so I am sure it could be done, but who knows.... Again try offering a small "Bounty" to get HDMI running. Depends how important it is too you.

Again welcome to the forum, I hope this helps you in someway. Stick with it, these devices are MILES better than, PSP, Vita, 3DS etc I think the RG350 will do better than the Dingoo A320 over time... But apperntly the GKD350 is getting a new version with L2 & R2 buttons.

Final thing for me was the fact it is Duel Analoug, with not only L2 & R2 buttons but also L3 & R3 buttons plus Runble :)
Dingoo A320, GCW0, RS-97 x2, Revo-K101, RS-90, PSP, GameGadget, New 3DS 128GB, PS Vita 200GB, RS-45, Gamebox Advance and a few other obscure devices

Recce (OP)

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2019, 05:42:58 pm »
Thanks for answering all the questions!

Indeed this is the first time I'm playing with open source devices and the experience is quite different from a normal consumer product like the PS Vita.

I do have a hacked slim PSP, a phat PSP and a normal PS Vita, in addition to the older portables such as GBA, GBA SP and NDS Lite.

I was looking at the RG350 & Powkiddy X18 and assume when they advertise having HDMI output (or any other features) at least the official firmware would support it, didn't expect the device to ship with no support at all for such a prominent feature.

Thanks again for the welcome and in answering my queries. :-)

Recce (OP)

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2019, 07:23:56 am »
On the lack of video output, I do find it strange that the cheapo $10 SUP gaming device can have A/V output straight out of the box whereas the RG350 official dev couldn't even get it done and had to somehow rely on open source devs to work on it (if ever).

Am I missing something?

ace9094

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2019, 10:29:45 pm »
On the lack of video output, I do find it strange that the cheapo $10 SUP gaming device can have A/V output straight out of the box whereas the RG350 official dev couldn't even get it done and had to somehow rely on open source devs to work on it (if ever).

Am I missing something?

Pass, I am not a Dev... Maybe ask on the RG350 Discord :)
Dingoo A320, GCW0, RS-97 x2, Revo-K101, RS-90, PSP, GameGadget, New 3DS 128GB, PS Vita 200GB, RS-45, Gamebox Advance and a few other obscure devices

Post a new topic