Author Topic: Porting Games Bounties  (Read 2260 times)

Jim Goose (OP)

Re: Porting Games Bounties
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2019, 10:52:02 pm »
That is quite odd because Dreamcast can run on my Intel atom z3735f with some adjustments. What i7 do you have?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NP4IMX1SzAc

that's not even remotely "playable" to my definition  ;D

and that is from a very easy release title, daytona

Yes I'm picky but i like my games runs buttery smooth, thank you

I would accept that. If you got the n64 emulator to play something at a reasonable frame rate. I would use OOT as an example of something I'd like running. To me the "ground work" is laid out.

Yeah, I believe if you can have system shock 2 run with minor glitches to the shadows that would be fabulously great. Generally speaking, if I can actually play the game and enjoy it, that is what counts. If you gotta remove shadows or little things to get it running so be it. As long as it is still enjoyable to play. Not just for me, but for everyone.

These bounties are mostly ones that I would consider easier. The source code is there and ready. One forum post on openmw I saw someone run that at 5fps with all the textures missing because the compression standard wasn't compatible or something. That would be something I'd pay higher for if I actually wanted or thought it was feasible to port on this system. But I do not want to do a bounty for openmw at this time.

Monthly is not something I'd do. Lump sums are always better.

my point is, even with the source code out there, porting a game from a system to another system isn't a breeze.

Even if there is a guy out there who is willing to do it for that amount of money, you'll probably ended up with half assed emulator/games that won't be maintained in coming years.

There's surely a reason why the source code is out there for years but ports aren't done yet. If it's doable, you should have it by now without these bounties (i.e doom ports)

so if you really have money to spare for these kind of stuff, you should donate it to someone who actually already contributed to the community.

I can make you a video of my config if you want. That video is a bit different from my config.

I understand your point, it is all just incentives. Just ramping up some development or trying to.

I said that "I would consider easier". As far as I understand in comparison to OpenMW they would be easier. Correct me if I am wrong.

Handheld Collection:

PocketC.H.I.P.
RG350

SeongGino

• Twitter!
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2019, 12:06:47 am »
I said that "I would consider easier". As far as I understand in comparison to OpenMW they would be easier. Correct me if I am wrong.

In comparison to OpenMW, they are only marginally easier; but they're both equally as hard to pull off on a system like this. Again, we're talking about hardware that can just about run Quake 3; please don't unnecessarily shift the goalpost. Think about ports that are actually feasible for this system.

If you think it's easy, or easier, feel free to link us your repos of your progress.

And, once more, if you're actually trying to incentivize development, then you better have more cash on-hand to offer up than what's basically pocket change to an average developer.
It's just your average Seong.

Please contribute to the (un)official Dingux repository, to protect the life cycle of our favorite handheld platform! https://github.com/SeongGino/RetroGame350-AppRepo

Jim Goose (OP)

« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2019, 01:10:54 am »

In comparison to OpenMW, they are only marginally easier; but they're both equally as hard to pull off on a system like this. Again, we're talking about hardware that can just about run Quake 3; please don't unnecessarily shift the goalpost. Think about ports that are actually feasible for this system.

If you think it's easy, or easier, feel free to link us your repos of your progress.

And, once more, if you're actually trying to incentivize development, then you better have more cash on-hand to offer up than what's basically pocket change to an average developer.

If it was easy why do you think I would be paying someone for it? I would do it myself if it was. I know enough programming to get me by per se.

Well, I felt 100 or so would be a good start for something. It is better than blindly begging or asking, at least to me. Anyways, I feel like this is going in circles. If someone wants to take me up on my offers, that is cool. If not, then I guess I post them to nobody.

Handheld Collection:

PocketC.H.I.P.
RG350

Jim Goose (OP)

« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2019, 04:43:57 am »
Update, the Lugaru Gameblabla worked on boots if you wait long enough for the red screen to fade. The controls however don't work at all.

Edit: It crashes after a bit.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2019, 04:55:40 am by Jim Goose »
Handheld Collection:

PocketC.H.I.P.
RG350

Post a new topic