Author Topic: Overall bad performance on RG350  (Read 3242 times)

ShrekDTH (OP)

Overall bad performance on RG350
« on: December 08, 2019, 02:10:10 pm »
Hi guys,

i reacently get my RG350 but i'm very sad about the overall performance. I flashed various firmware versions from 1.5 to 1.7, but it don't fix the problem. GBA performance eg. Goldensun is very bad and also ps1 games are very slow. Tekken 3 for example runs at maybe 20 - 40 fps and also other games are very slow (crash bandicoot etc.). I used different sd cards, sandisk 32GB, samsung 32GB and also the thoshiba that comes with the device. I'm afraid, that i get a faulty unit. What do you think?

I hope for your support.

Best regards
ShrekDTH

Recce

Re: Overall bad performance on RG350
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2019, 03:52:50 pm »
The SD card used should have minimal impact on the game performance. Under Application, you can set the RG350 to power saving, performance mode etc so make sure you choose the appropriate one first.

In addition to the hardware, the other biggest impact on game performance has to be the emulator software. On my unit, Golden Sun seems to run at full framerate and Tekken 3 hovers around 50+ to 60 fps. I did notice that different versions of pcsx4all (done by different developers?) had different performance as I tried another version of pcsx4all and it runs the same game at 40+ fps with stuttering sound.

Your best bet is to try out all the various versions of pcsx4all (there are at least 6 builds that I know of) to see which of them gives the best performance.

Likewise for GBA emulation of which there are 2, gpsp and regba. Download all the different builds of the 2 emulators and run the game to see which one gives the best performance.

Also, note that firmware 1.7 may have problem with some of the games as someone posted a youtube video showing framedrops while running FBA SFII. On my unit the game ran perfectly, I'm using the official firmware 1.5 dated 27 Oct.

miroli

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2019, 04:12:03 pm »
My system specs are:

CFW 1.5
OPK update 2019.oct.27
For GBA emulation i use ReGBA 1.4.5
For PS1 emulation i use Pcsx4all 2.4. oct 7 built

Highly recommended to change the original Sd card to a newer, faster one (I have a samsung 32 GB in it)

So with my specs i have no issues with the GBA and PS1 emulation. Everything runs at 60fps. The device is perfect for SNES, GENESIS, SEGA CD, PC ENGINE CD, NEO GEO, FBA, emulation as well.

ShrekDTH (OP)

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2019, 08:47:25 pm »
Hi guys,

i tryed the performance apps, but i get every time a error message, that says:

error: unable to add inotify watch
power.sh running
performance mode
power.sh: line 47: can't create /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_govenor: noexisting directory

If i try to create these missing folders it won't work. I think i do not have the permission to create folders at this place.

@miroli: Thanks for your advice, these emulators running great :)
« Last Edit: December 08, 2019, 09:09:37 pm by ShrekDTH »

ShrekDTH (OP)

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2019, 08:57:59 pm »
Hey guys,

sadly i get the same problems after a few trys. If i restart the device it works for a short time, then the performance breaks down to max 20 fps at psx4all. I think it is a problem with the card reader maybe?

Did someone know something about the error message i told? Or is there a way to set the high performance mode without using the app? Maybe editing a config file?

greetings
ShrekDTH 

Recce

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2019, 02:44:26 am »
Hi guys,

power.sh running
performance mode
power.sh: line 47: can't create /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_govenor: noexisting directory

If i try to create these missing folders it won't work. I think i do not have the permission to create folders at this place.

Hmm... looks like my unit also had the error message, I didn't notice it previously as it only flashed for a split second everytime I launch the app.

ShrekDTH (OP)

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2019, 11:46:14 pm »
I sended my unit back to amazon today and reordered a new one. Maybe i got a faulty device, who knows? I hope the next one whould be nice. I saw so much videos without any issues running psx games.

Recce

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2019, 02:15:28 am »
Just a note that most PS1 games should run smoothly but not all of them will hit 60fps, e.g. Tekken 3 & Bloody Roar 2.

The RG350's CPU is not powerful or fast enough to run said games perfectly. Maybe the new GKD 350H with a 1.5GHz CPU can handle them, but then it only had 128GB RAM so who knows.

Daniel79

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2019, 07:03:39 am »

CFW 1.5
OPK update 2019.oct.27

Hello!Can you provided a link to your opks?

ShrekDTH (OP)

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2019, 02:01:48 pm »

CFW 1.5
OPK update 2019.oct.27

Hello!Can you provided a link to your opks?

Here on Jutley's Site you can catch em all ;)

https://rs97.bitgala.xyz

@Recce I know that the RG350 is at his limit to emulate ps1 games, but in my case i was totally confused, because if I take the sd card out and put it back I get in Tekken 3 50 - 60 fps. Here and there some struggling but playable. And then if I play 5 - 10 minutes it went down to 15 - 20 fps and a lot of struggling (unplayable). That's the reason, why I thought my device is broken.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2019, 04:44:09 pm by ShrekDTH »

stareja

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2019, 07:45:42 pm »
Hi guys,

power.sh running
performance mode

Hmm... looks like my unit also had the error message, I didn't notice it previously as it only flashed for a split second everytime I launch the app.

That's odd. My guess is that the performance.opk application is taking advantage of things enabled on the GCW0 that isn't enabled on the RG-350.

The power.sh script in performance.opk is trying to modify scaling_governor and scaling_setspeed that are supposed to be located in /sys/devices/system/cpu0/cpufreq, but, as you can probably guess, the entire cpufreq directory is missing. You can't create the directory because the directories and files in /sys/devices are tied to hardware functionality. In this specific case, CPU functionality. It looks like the kernel might've been built without dynamic cpu scaling.

Without that functionality, I don't really think that performance.opk is doing anything of any real value.

The really odd thing is that the Linux documentation from Igenic for the JZ4770 lists information on how to manipulate cpu scaling, so the CPU supports it.

There aren't any config files in /boot or anywhere else that I can find that would give hints as to how the kernel was built.

While this is odd, I don't think it's related to the GBA and PS1 slowdowns that you were seeing.

gameblabla

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2019, 08:13:27 pm »
That's odd. My guess is that the performance.opk application is taking advantage of things enabled on the GCW0 that isn't enabled on the RG-350.

The power.sh script in performance.opk is trying to modify scaling_governor and scaling_setspeed that are supposed to be located in /sys/devices/system/cpu0/cpufreq, but, as you can probably guess, the entire cpufreq directory is missing. You can't create the directory because the directories and files in /sys/devices are tied to hardware functionality. In this specific case, CPU functionality. It looks like the kernel might've been built without dynamic cpu scaling.

Without that functionality, I don't really think that performance.opk is doing anything of any real value.

The really odd thing is that the Linux documentation from Igenic for the JZ4770 lists information on how to manipulate cpu scaling, so the CPU supports it.

There aren't any config files in /boot or anywhere else that I can find that would give hints as to how the kernel was built.

While this is odd, I don't think it's related to the GBA and PS1 slowdowns that you were seeing.
The latest OPK update has removed CPUfreq from the kernel. If you want to have it back, you'll have to enable it back again and compile your own.

ShrekDTH (OP)

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2019, 10:45:28 pm »
Got my new device today, and everything seems to be fine now :)

DENNY79

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2019, 11:41:08 am »
Got my new device today, and everything seems to be fine now :)
Great! Glad to hear that.

evilryu_sp

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2019, 04:40:40 pm »
I had some weird thing yesterday with fceux where it would not go above 45fps for any game no matter what I used in the settings. I ended up trying three different opk versions and performance did not improve either.

I then decided to delete the local emulator files in the internal sdcard (not the opk) and everything went back to normal, 60fps in all games. Anybody knows why this can happen and whether it's related to the OP problems?

elea

« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2019, 09:20:38 pm »
SD card corruption is not uncommon with these devices. Sometimes it's from the OS, sometimes from the emulator, sometimes from shutting down/resetting improperly or from crashing.

Config files can and do get trashed.

darkasian777

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2020, 07:30:10 pm »
My system specs are:

CFW 1.5
OPK update 2019.oct.27
For PS1 emulation i use Pcsx4all 2.4. oct 7 built

Highly recommended to change the original Sd card to a newer, faster one (I have a samsung 32 GB in it)

So with my specs i have no issues with the GBA and PS1 emulation. Everything runs at 60fps. The device is perfect for SNES, GENESIS, SEGA CD, PC ENGINE CD, NEO GEO, FBA, emulation as well.

Just tagging this config for later, please carry on :)