Author Topic: Neo Geo and MAME  (Read 8194 times)

JerryD (OP)

Neo Geo and MAME
« on: November 18, 2019, 05:25:39 am »
Hi guys, I got V1.7 up and running.

I'm having some trouble with a few of the emulators. Should I ask here or go to the emulators forum?

I have the MAME .201&.202 merged rom sets. I'm able to get these running on my desktop computer. None of the emulators on my rg350 recognize the game files.

I'm also having the same problem with NeoGeo games. Does this system supports NeoGeo CD, the cartridge version or both?

Is there anyway to find out what consoles are supported?

Thanks

Recce

Re: Neo Geo and MAME
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2019, 07:20:30 am »
I believe you need a specific set of ROMs for different versions of MAME.

Assuming you're using the MAME4ALL app on the RG350, you'll need a ROM set that is compatible with that version. The 0.20x ROM files will not work on it.

Alternatively you can run FBA with the corresponding ROM set (2016) if you have them.

Though do be aware that due to limitations of the hardware and/or emulator app not fully optimized, there are some higher end arcade games that will run with lots of frame drops (i.e. slow downs) and stuttering sound, e.g. SFIII, Asura Buster etc.

For NEOGEO the emulator supports the NEOGEO Arcade ROMs.

Right now, based on the available emulators it will run below systems:

1. MAME4ALL ROMs (2000)
2. FBA ROMs (2016)
3. NES/FC
4. SMS
5. GG
6. GB/GBC/GBA
7. SNES/SFC
8. NEOGEO/CPS1/CPS2 (overlap with MAME4ALL & FBA)
9. CPS3 games although may run but I think hardware not powerful enough?
10. Genesis/Megadrive/32X (32X games basically unplayable with the PicoDrive emulator, not sure is it a HW limitation or SW not optimized)
11. WonderSwan Colour
12. NEOGEO Pocket
13. PC Engine
14. PlayStation

With the right emulator I believe you can play games up to the PS1 level, not sure about PSP, N64 or DC.

On the PC front, it should be able to emulate the 8-bit & 16-bit systems and DOS games. There is already a DOSBox emulator and also SCUMMVM.

spyroskonst

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2019, 09:57:06 am »
FBA runs excellent all NEOGEO stuff and CPS1 & CPS2. it can not run CPS3 (not powerful hardware i guess?)

As for MAME roms its another overcomplicated story...

I do not know if i am allow to post link with roms, or recommend another forum with links for the roms.
Can an admin confirm please, and i will help you on this.

JerryD (OP)

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2019, 05:41:46 pm »
Thank you for the advice.

I did some research and found out that mame4all supports mame0.37b5 rom sets. So I found one and of course the version of the emulator on this device doesn't recognize any of them. So for I've tried mame rom sets 084, 201, 202, 078, nothing works with any of the built in emulators.

according to slaanesh dev, xmame 1.3 supports MAME 0.37b16, 0.69 and 0.84. I'm not seeing it work.

So far the only roms I can get working on this is the Sega and Nintendo stuff. This is more then a bit frustrating. I am feeling really stupid for buying this instead of one of the many far cheaper devices that function. Handhelds that play Sega and Nintendo are a dime a dozen. I got this for the mame, neogeo and playstation support. 

There must be a way to get this to work. Others seem to be able to do it. Is there any place online where I can learn how to go about doing so?

Thanks again for the help and advice on this.

spyroskonst

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2019, 08:09:29 pm »
ok, first of all FBA & MAME4ALL (or) XMAME use different set of roms.

Lets ignore FBA and focus on MAME stuff.

In general what i did is this: mame 0.84 is the correct one, BUT you must put in the correct roms directory.

XMAME by default has the roms directory in the internal memory.
"media / data / local / share / XMAME / XMAME84 / roms "

Three folders you'll see, and you must place the 0.84 roms in the correct one. Only then XMAME will be able to read your roms. Once you open the program, XMAME says its searching for roms. That's a lie, it does not. Press R1 scroll to correct 0.84 section, and then press START. This is when XMAME actually refreshes & searches for roms.

MAME4ALL on the other hand, when you first start it, it asks for the roms directory. If you do not remember (like i did), then you are screwed. Simply download the opk file again, place it in the apps folder of your rg350 internal directory. Now, run MAME4ALL (its like running it for the first time again), and be sure to select the same folder as the XMAME 0.84 roms folder. This way you will avoid double roms waste space for no reason.

XMAME supports snapshots & favorite games, MAME4ALL does not. Keep that in mind.
Also MAME4ALL does not have all the roms listed as the XMAME. Having said that, in general MAME4ALL runs games smoother, but you will notice its a trial an error most of the times.

Also, FBA uses its own set of roms which you can not find in the 0.84 roms. Example Metal Slug 4,5, X, can be found only on the FBA mame roms. FBA does not support cheats (at least i didn't manage to make them work).

My general advise is this:

FBA use it as your first choice. Its almost perfect for all the games it supports. It works like a charm.
MAME4ALL as your 2nd. Problem with MAME4ALL is the "no favorites games" option, and no snapshots.
XMAME as your 3rd. Many games run with 100% CPU (for whatever the reason), with frameskipping on, no matter what you do.

Hope this helps my friend, and even with all that you will still have a lot of digging to do on your own.

Recce

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2019, 02:24:20 am »
For me, who is new to these open source retro gaming devices, I find the easiest to work on among the 3 arcade emulators is FBA.

Just need to google for the correct ROM set, copy the ZIP files to external SD card and that's it.

As for forum rules, straight from the Rules icon at the top of page:

"Dingoonity is not a place for asking ROMs, ISOs, DVD Rips or links to any other illegal content. Any member caught posting any of these illegal content within the site and forums will result in an instant ban."

JerryD (OP)

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2019, 04:48:26 am »
ok, first of all FBA & MAME4ALL (or) XMAME use different set of roms.

Lets ignore FBA and focus on MAME stuff.

In general what i did is this: mame 0.84 is the correct one, BUT you must put in the correct roms directory.

XMAME by default has the roms directory in the internal memory.
"media / data / local / share / XMAME / XMAME84 / roms "

Three folders you'll see, and you must place the 0.84 roms in the correct one. Only then XMAME will be able to read your roms. Once you open the program, XMAME says its searching for roms. That's a lie, it does not. Press R1 scroll to correct 0.84 section, and then press START. This is when XMAME actually refreshes & searches for roms.

MAME4ALL on the other hand, when you first start it, it asks for the roms directory. If you do not remember (like i did), then you are screwed. Simply download the opk file again, place it in the apps folder of your rg350 internal directory. Now, run MAME4ALL (its like running it for the first time again), and be sure to select the same folder as the XMAME 0.84 roms folder. This way you will avoid double roms waste space for no reason.

XMAME supports snapshots & favorite games, MAME4ALL does not. Keep that in mind.
Also MAME4ALL does not have all the roms listed as the XMAME. Having said that, in general MAME4ALL runs games smoother, but you will notice its a trial an error most of the times.

Also, FBA uses its own set of roms which you can not find in the 0.84 roms. Example Metal Slug 4,5, X, can be found only on the FBA mame roms. FBA does not support cheats (at least i didn't manage to make them work).

My general advise is this:

FBA use it as your first choice. Its almost perfect for all the games it supports. It works like a charm.
MAME4ALL as your 2nd. Problem with MAME4ALL is the "no favorites games" option, and no snapshots.
XMAME as your 3rd. Many games run with 100% CPU (for whatever the reason), with frameskipping on, no matter what you do.

Hope this helps my friend, and even with all that you will still have a lot of digging to do on your own.

I'll give this is a try. For the FBA, does it matter what folder I put them in? I believe I was able to get the correct ones.

Thanks for the advice.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 05:36:27 am by JerryD »

JerryD (OP)

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2019, 05:05:06 am »
For me, who is new to these open source retro gaming devices, I find the easiest to work on among the 3 arcade emulators is FBA.

Just need to google for the correct ROM set, copy the ZIP files to external SD card and that's it.

As for forum rules, straight from the Rules icon at the top of page:

"Dingoonity is not a place for asking ROMs, ISOs, DVD Rips or links to any other illegal content. Any member caught posting any of these illegal content within the site and forums will result in an instant ban."

This is all new to me as well. Well kinda. Last year a friend got one of the mini playstation and SNES systems. I ended up getting a crazy amount of roms and setting up my desktop computer to run the emulators. Which worked really well. easy to set up and configure. I got a GPD XD+, which works really well and was easy to set up but I find it awkward to hold and use. My job involves a lot of subway travel and waiting rooms. Which is why I want a handheld. So far I find this one comfortable to hold and use.

The roms themselves are easy to get as long as I know what to look for.

Thanks again for the help and advice.

spyroskonst

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2019, 09:55:50 am »

I'll give this is a try. For the FBA, does it matter what folder I put them in? I believe I was able to get the correct ones.

Thanks for the advice.

No, because in FBA you can select many different folders for your located roms.

Caligula

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2019, 12:46:36 pm »
Disclaimer: this is a very long and noob friendly tutorial, mostly intended for lurkers !!!

I bought the bundle console version, with a 32GB card included + preinstalled games. The only folder I kept intact on that card was the FBA one. In that particular folder you will find CPS1, CPS2 and NEOGEO roms and I'm not sure it stops at those. Fortunately, I don't have to wrap my head around that anymore as there are plenty of high quality games in there.

For the MAME, I had to do a little digging. I own an LDK console also, so I had a compatible MAME romset downloaded already. It's the same as for the RG-350 version. If you read the manual (press select on the MAME4ALL icon and that option will appear), you'll see that the emulator requires the MAME0.37b5 romset. This is the most important part of this tutorial: proceed to get that exact romset. You will see hundred of .zip files in there. Do not change the name of those files. Also, stick with the roms only (no need for a Samples folder, if there is such a thing).

Be aware that the romset contains CPS1, CPS2 and NEOGEO roms, which may already be in your FBA folder. Even if they're not, those particular ones are much better emulated by the FBA emulator than anything else, so I recommend you move them to the FBA folder of your external SD card, or delete them, if your FBA folder is already populated. A good start to spot them is to look for a CPS1, CSP2 and NEOGEO filename list and separate those files, as I've mentioned. Note that the supported MAME games are mostly games created between '80-'90, so a file with a size bigger than 10MB, for example, should raise some question marks on your part. Also, the romset contains plenty of duplicates or files that you don't really need (Japan version - where an US version is already available, bootlegs etc.). It's you call if you decide to spends hours/days in order to clean that mess.

Place all those .zip files the ROMS/MAME folder (create the "MAME" folder, as it's not there by default), on your external SD card. In fact, you can name that folder however you like, but from here on, I'll refer to that folder as I've specified.

By default, the MAME4ALL emulator looks into your external SD card in the roms/FBA folder. As a result, your MAME folder that you've just created will not be recognized by the emulator. You'll just see the exact same roms as you are able to see using the FBA emulator. To bypass that, rename the FBA folder as you wish (you will change it back later). The easiest way to rename the foder is to use the already installed DinguxCmdr application. From /usr/local/home navigate to media/sdcard/ROMS. Select the FBA folder, press the X button and select Rename. After you renamed the folder, use the Y button to quit the DinguxCmdr application. If you're not comfortable using the app, just stick your microSD card into a card reader and use a computer but remember to always safely remove the card, as I've already corrupted two of those because of that.

Now open the MAME4ALL emulator. You'll see the blue splash screen. It will stay there forever if you don't press the A button. As soon as you do that, the emulator will give you an error message (on a black background), saying that it can no longer find any roms. It will then ask you to select a new folder into which it can search for roms. Navigate to the media/sdcard/ROMS/MAME folder and press the Start button. Exit the emulator using the L1+R1+Start buttons (at the same time). You're good to go now! If you reopen the emulator you will find a huge list in there. Select the desired games and press the A button in order to play them. Don't worry when you receive a couple of error messages; they're more of a disclaimer. Just swing the left stick and you'll get rid of those messages.

Don't forget to rename back the FBA folder or set the new directory path into the FBA emulator, otherwise it will no longer find and display the games.

On a side note, although I managed to run games with XMAME, I found it to be a major PITA, therefore I am using it only if MAME4ALL is failing with some particular games.

Hope this helps at least one person on the whole Internet :).
« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 12:52:46 pm by Caligula »

JerryD (OP)

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2019, 05:38:32 pm »
Thanks for the information. I got mine from retromini, it did come with a miniSD card that was empty. I assumed it was for adding my own roms. I didn't know that there was bundled version for sale, I would have bought one of those instead of this one.

Thanks again.

JerryD (OP)

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2019, 04:41:40 am »
I got the FBA set to work. It's amazing what  having the correct files will do for ya.  ;D

Thank you, Spyoskonst, Recce, and Caligula for your help and patients.

I hope this tread is helpful to others in a similar situation. I think dealing with MEMA's is the most confusing part of using one of these handheld.

pigolato

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2019, 09:24:49 am »
@Caligula
Big thanks for your post. I registered here just to thank you.
I was about to throw the effing thing at the wall! Now I can play my Mame roms!
Cheers

lbialy

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2019, 11:23:30 am »
Disclaimer: this is a very long and noob friendly tutorial, mostly intended for lurkers !!!
Hey Caligua, i've sent You a pm, please answer in free time :)
« Last Edit: December 28, 2019, 11:25:22 am by lbialy »

Post a new topic