Author Topic: Is this currently the best "dedicated" emulation handheld available?  (Read 5381 times)

Xeraser (OP)

Modded consoles and Android devices notwithstanding, is this the best handheld device you can buy today?
I've always been fascinated by this kind of devices starting with the Dingoo A320 (thanks Ashens) and GPH stuff mostly due to their simplicity but I never really got one myself.
I already own a modded N3DS XL and a GPD XD+ (and a now broken PSP Go which is still my favorite handheld both for emulation and exclusive games) but the form factor just doesn't do it for me. Both of them give me cramps after about two hours (especially the 3DS and especially if I'm playing some 3DS games like Monster Hunter) and each of them has its own problems. The 3DS is pretty underpowered and IIRC it can't play PSX well and the XD+ (at least mine) has a weird battery drain issue (on top of the 3-4+ hours charging time) and Android is just a huge distraction imho (the emulators also feel far fiddlier than they should be)

Assuming a custom firmware is installed with the most up-to-date versions of each emulator how well would this stack up against a PS Vita? (thought it would be fair since the Vita has no hardware acceleration yet in homebrew apps and the development scene seems to be slowly dying out) I've been looking to get one for quite some time for the PSX and PSP stuff but a Slim Aqua Blue one in good conditions would set me back about 50 to 60 bucks more than the RG350

Xeraser (OP)

Re: Is this currently the best "dedicated" emulation handheld available?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2019, 05:14:23 pm »
Anyone? I know the Game Kiddy 350H has a faster CPU (but way less RAM) but that's closed source, correct?

npaladin2000

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2019, 08:03:13 pm »
For right now, this is probably the best available. The GKD actually runs the same OS, so it might be better for some games, worse for others. There's one or two other upcoming devices as well, very similar specs, same OS. But for now, the RG-350 is the one.
Join the RetroGameHandhelds Discord: https://discord.gg/p4uRmCd

Partitipate in the RetroGameHandhelds GitHub, Wikis and FAQs: https://github.com/retrogamehandheld

stareja

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2019, 09:33:06 pm »
Anyone? I know the Game Kiddy 350H has a faster CPU (but way less RAM) but that's closed source, correct?

The GK350H has a faster CPU (1.5GHz Ingenic X1830 vs the 1 GHZ JZ4770 mips in the RG350) which would make PSX emulation much better. Some titles that were previously unplayable or only playable respectably with frame-skip enabled would probably run much better. Bloody Roar II, for example. The latest CFWs for the RG350 and updates to the PSX emulator by gameblabla have helped tremendously.

I'm not sure how relevant it is, but the GK350H only has 128MB of RAM where the the RG350 has 512MB. That might not be a factor as I don't think emulation is memory intensive.

The real delineation comes from the button inputs. The GK350H is missing the right thumb-stick and the L2 and R2 buttons for a complete button layout. The RG350 has all the necessary buttons. The up-coming Pocket Go 2 also suffers from not enough buttons for proper input. I've heard there are workarounds for this, but I'd much rather have the proper button inputs.

For me, the RG350 is the better unit because of the included button inputs, but most of the PSX titles I play are RPGs and not really that intensive to emulate.

npaladin2000

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2019, 11:58:33 pm »
The GK350H has a faster CPU (1.5GHz Ingenic X1830 vs the 1 GHZ JZ4770 mips in the RG350) which would make PSX emulation much better.
I'm not sure how relevant it is, but the GK350H only has 128MB of RAM where the the RG350 has 512MB. That might not be a factor as I don't think emulation is memory intensive.

Actually the big difference may end up being the missing GPU on the GKD350h. Yeah, it's got that faster CPU, but anything needing to make GPU calls of any sort aren't going to work at all. Not quite sure how that will shake out yet.

Partitipate in the RetroGameHandhelds GitHub, Wikis and FAQs: https://github.com/retrogamehandheld

stareja

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2019, 12:10:14 am »
Actually the big difference may end up being the missing GPU on the GKD350h. Yeah, it's got that faster CPU, but anything needing to make GPU calls of any sort aren't going to work at all. Not quite sure how that will shake out yet.

I didn't know that. To be fair, though, I didn't really look at the GK350H past the the input controls.

Recce

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2019, 05:37:23 am »
Isn't the GPD XD Plus had the best spec so far? It has to be since it costs more than twice the price of the RG350!

On a related note, I think the RG350 could have been the BEST portable with the following changes.

- A slightly bigger screen between 3.5" to 4" IPS with 640x480 resolution while maintaining the current device dimension.
- A slightly faster CPU (at 1.5GHz?) to run all PS1 games comfortably and maybe PSP games as well.

Hope they have a version 2 (RG400?) with above updates, and of course, HDMI and AV output supported out of the box.

stareja

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2019, 06:14:16 am »
Isn't the GPD XD Plus had the best spec so far? It has to be since it costs more than twice the price of the RG350!

Yeah. I have a 1st gen gpdxd. It will run up to psp, though not all of them, obviously. My main problem with the gpdxd is that the dpad and input buttons are really mushy and bad. Something that I think was cared over to the newer gpdxd+.

ace9094

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2019, 08:25:29 pm »
For me at the moment.. YES, for the following reasons.

1) Full PSX controls including L3 & R3 - I think in time the PSX on this will be close to flawless. (Just my opinion)
2) Seems to be gathering great support from DEVs as already has great titles due to GCW Zero similarity.
3) Great price point

I have Vita, 3DS, PSP etc but I feel this may be as popular as the Dingoo A320 - Maybe even more so... That for me was the greatest little device for the money and had a great little following.

But saying that, it depends what you want it for. These have a small learning curve, but there are lots of people who happily help others.

I would like a GK350H with L2 & R2 - I like the look of the metal version a lot

Dingoo A320, GCW0, RS-97 x2, Revo-K101, RS-90, PSP, GameGadget, New 3DS 128GB, PS Vita 200GB, RS-45, Gamebox Advance and a few other obscure devices

Xeraser (OP)

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2019, 10:29:42 pm »
For right now, this is probably the best available. The GKD actually runs the same OS, so it might be better for some games, worse for others. There's one or two other upcoming devices as well, very similar specs, same OS. But for now, the RG-350 is the one.

Really? I heard people say it was closed source and would be harder to update/develop for due to the more obscure chipset.  Are the upcoming devices similar to the RG or the GKD? If the PSX emulation keeps improving (can it or has it peaked?) will the slower CPU (slower than the GKD anyway) matter that much?

The real delineation comes from the button inputs. The GK350H is missing the right thumb-stick and the L2 and R2 buttons for a complete button layout. The RG350 has all the necessary buttons. The up-coming Pocket Go 2 also suffers from not enough buttons for proper input. I've heard there are workarounds for this, but I'd much rather have the proper button inputs.
Yeah, that's a huge con for me. Along with the crappy mono speaker. And no HDMI. And no USB-C and the possibility to add controllers.

It is. I have one and it can play PSP games at twice the native res almost perfectly. (Gran Turismo PSP used to struggle a bit but I haven't checked in well over a year, PPSSPP probably got a lot better since then)
But I don't like how the controls feel at all and how long the thing takes to charge (4+ hours in my case) and it's uncomfortable to hold after a while.

npaladin2000

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2019, 12:38:36 am »

Really? I heard people say it was closed source and would be harder to update/develop for due to the more obscure chipset.  Are the upcoming devices similar to the RG or the GKD? If the PSX emulation keeps improving (can it or has it peaked?) will the slower CPU (slower than the GKD anyway) matter that much?

It's obscure, but it's still a MIPS32r2 instruction set (I think that's the name...same instruction set as the chip in the RG-350 though). The makers were trying to keep things under their collective hat until the thing released, to make sure no one stole their ideas (and possibly to make sure no one noticed them "borrowing" OpenDingux, hah).  The GKD makes an interesting tradeoff, in that it drops RAM and the GPU for more CPU power, and frankly for more responsive RAM right on the CPU package itself. That will certainly help for 2D emulation like SNES, NeoGeo, and CPS2.  I think if we start seeing GPU calls implemented in PCSX4ALL then that will do better on the RG-350 rather than the GKD350h

iball

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2019, 02:16:49 am »
I think if we start seeing GPU calls implemented in PCSX4ALL then that will do better on the RG-350 rather than the GKD350h
I'd hope so, but so far I think there's only a single game for the GCW0/RG350 that actually makes use of the GPU.

Senor Quack

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2019, 03:38:06 am »
I think if we start seeing GPU calls implemented in PCSX4ALL then that will do better on the RG-350 rather than the GKD350h
I'd hope so, but so far I think there's only a single game for the GCW0/RG350 that actually makes use of the GPU.

I know of at least two for the GCW0 both ported by me, and BTW I also know a ton about PCSX4ALL and it doesn't use the GPU at all.

a330boy

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2020, 06:29:19 pm »
For me it is the best. The only upgrade from this is if there is another handheld with a faster and powerful CPU while keeping the same form factor, same amount of controls and ports, and same screen size and display.

npaladin2000

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2020, 01:49:03 pm »
It's at the very least one of the best, and right now definitely the best you can get under USD$100. For now. When the ODROID Go Advance shows up that might challenge it for top spot, we'll see. This is still a pretty fast moving niche.

mougrim

It's at the very least one of the best, and right now definitely the best you can get under USD$100. For now. When the ODROID Go Advance shows up that might challenge it for top spot, we'll see. This is still a pretty fast moving niche.
Yep, Odroid Go Advance potentially has much better CPU/GPU. And PSP emulation out of the box. Controls are worse, though.

Sent from my JSN-L21 using Tapatalk

msx

• Official RetroFW discord server
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2020, 06:15:28 pm »

GKD runs all PSX games, Tekken 3 included, at 60fps... how could adding GPU support make the RG350 better than that? Running at 120fps maybe?  ;D
Performance-wise the most RG350 can achieve is running as well as the GKD.
Control-wise, the RG350 wins, of course.