Author Topic: HOW-TO: PCSX4ALL Cheats  (Read 11473 times)

iball (OP)

HOW-TO: PCSX4ALL Cheats
« on: November 09, 2019, 02:52:16 am »
OK, so after much R&D wherein the Googles totally failed me, I figured out how to use cheats in PCSX4ALL for the RG350 (and GCW-Zero).

Well, for pretty much any handheld running PCSX4ALL 2.4 at least (or any PCSX4ALL version that supports cheats).

The link below contains a 7-zip archive file I created that contains 5000+ cheat files in txt format along with instructions on where to put them on your handheld.

Nothing special, all I did was download the "EPSXE CHEATS" zip file from the Playstation DataCenter (http://psxdatacenter.com/downloads.html) and then removed the extra period and underscore from the file name and that was it.

Good thing Microsoft just released PowerRenamer in the latest Power Tools update, that made it a snap to get rid of those extra characters without having to resort to Powershell commands.

Enjoy!  If others want to re-host this file on their website, feel free.  I cares not about attribution as I didn't originally create these files, I'm just a dummy who figured out how to use them with PCSX4ALL and what the proper naming convention should be.

Some cheats may work, some may not.  Only tested a handful of games and so far they're working.
At least now this tells you the naming format as well as the actual formatting of the cheat codes themselves inside the files.

Go here to download the file:

https://archive.org/details/pcsx4allcheats.7z

LauweLoempia

Re: HOW-TO: PCSX4ALL Cheats
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2019, 08:19:33 am »
Nice. Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

iball (OP)

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2019, 09:20:31 am »
Nice. Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

You're more than welcome. 
But man, it was maddening trying to figure it out.  I Google'd the crap out anything and everything but all I found were vague references with no actual documentation on how the cheats were supposed to be formatted.

I looked at GBB's source code where he made recent changes to support unzipping cheats and couldn't see where the cheat filename convention was documented out except for it having to be a txt file ("%s/%s.txt") but then I noticed that on the same line in the source code where the filename is defined is the "CdromId" variable so I gambled on the cheat file name needing the same ID number (SLUS######.txt).

Further digging found two different methods of formatting the codes inside the file itself:

[cheat]
##########

or

#cheat
##########

(where # is the actual code with the only difference being how the code's section name is formatted.)
Going back and looking at the source code again I saw this line:
if (*buf == '#')
that defines the cheat name in how ePSXe cheat codes are formatted from what I downloaded from PS Center.
Another area in the source showed how it's all straight down, with no line breaks in the file between #cheat names and their corresponding "D007F43E F5FF" code values which is exactly how ePSXe cheat files are formatted.
So I took one file from that zip download and renamed it to the game ID for the game I wanted to test it on and bingo - it worked.

At least now it's documented for everyone to find when they search for it and it's tossed up on archive along with instructions inside the file to make it easy for anyone to implement on their own copy of PCSX4ALL.
Hopefully others copy the file and host it themselves as well for backup. 
Who knows, maybe GBB can roll them up into a future release so no one will have to copy them over by hand...but 5,375 cheat files compressed would add 586KB to the OPK not to mention the extra time just sitting there copying them over to the cheats directory upon initial install.

But then again, I'm a hack not a developer.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 09:26:51 am by iball »

ace9094

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2019, 10:21:52 am »
GREAT WORK !!!

Thanks for this... maybe add this info to Gameblabla's thread also as it is sticked... Also in the generic thread for ingenic devices :)

Thanks again
Dingoo A320, GCW0, RS-97 x2, Revo-K101, RS-90, PSP, GameGadget, New 3DS 128GB, PS Vita 200GB, RS-45, Gamebox Advance and a few other obscure devices

iball (OP)

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2019, 11:06:42 pm »
Or someone could just sticky this one and link it elsewhere.

ace9094

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2019, 04:39:30 pm »
Interestingly this does not work on Stock Firmware regardless of the version of PCSX4ALL used (I've tried them all).The cheats only seems to work on Custom Firmware -

On the RG-350 with stock firmware the cheat option is missing from the PCSX4ALL options menu.
On the RG-350 with custom firmware the cheat option appears in the PCSX4ALL options menu.

Anyone else get this ?

Thanks
ace
Dingoo A320, GCW0, RS-97 x2, Revo-K101, RS-90, PSP, GameGadget, New 3DS 128GB, PS Vita 200GB, RS-45, Gamebox Advance and a few other obscure devices

spyroskonst

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2019, 12:39:48 pm »
Thank you so much for this! It works perfectly!!!

iball (OP)

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2019, 07:20:17 pm »
Interestingly this does not work on Stock Firmware regardless of the version of PCSX4ALL used (I've tried them all).The cheats only seems to work on Custom Firmware -

On the RG-350 with stock firmware the cheat option is missing from the PCSX4ALL options menu.
On the RG-350 with custom firmware the cheat option appears in the PCSX4ALL options menu.

Anyone else get this ?

Thanks
ace
I just make sure to use the latest version of PCSX4ALL that GameBlaBla has released.
The firmware literally has nothing to do with it, it's whatever version of PCSX4ALL you're using and from what I can see there are *multiple* versions floating around out there and some of the early ones don't support it.

https://github.com/gameblabla/pcsx4all/releases

ace9094

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2019, 12:56:02 am »
Interestingly this does not work on Stock Firmware regardless of the version of PCSX4ALL used (I've tried them all).c
ace

I just make sure to use the latest version of PCSX4ALL that GameBlaBla has released.
The firmware literally has nothing to do with it, it's whatever version of PCSX4ALL you're using and from what I can see there are *multiple* versions floating around out there and some of the early ones don't support it.

The funny thing is like mentioned above I tried every version of PCSX4ALL, every version gameblabla released up to NOV 12th... When I flashed it 1.7 CFW it was fine cheats appeared. so who knows... Maybe it was a config setting stored in the .PCSX4ALL folder

darkasian777

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2020, 07:32:29 pm »
Thanks for sharing, will try this later

a330boy

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2020, 06:29:57 pm »
@iball Thank you.

akaVanguard

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2020, 10:07:59 pm »
Brilliantly done mate!
Works really well on the New PocketGO.

haxan

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2020, 11:53:51 am »
Hey, I hope reviving this thread is not against the rules, but I updated my pcsx4all and I managed to get the cheats working so thanks for that, however, I noticed that some of my games no longer have their save files (I have only one that I can still load into for some reason).

the saves are still there when I plug the sd into my computer, I also have my bios set up correctly and all.
Does anyone know a way around this?