Author Topic: How is RG350 as an arcade handheld?  (Read 862 times)

eltehero (OP)

How is RG350 as an arcade handheld?
« on: March 01, 2020, 05:26:32 pm »
I want a solid portable arcade system for playing xmame, mame4all and fba since I sold my gcw zero.
I dont like the layout of the controllers but everything else of the device seems good, build quality, form factor etc.

Anyone here who uses their rg350  for arcade games and give their reviews?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2020, 05:38:12 pm by eltehero »

RetroBlast

Re: How is RG350 as an arcade handheld?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2020, 05:37:06 pm »
Overall I'm happy with the arcade emulation, especially since vertical games work great on FBA (screen flips to the left so that you can use the right analog stick and the buttons). Even with XMAME and MAME4All you can re-map the buttons on vertical games to the D-pad and use the left analog for control, although that's not as nice as FBA's solution.

Some of the newer FBA titles can have a slowdown, but it's rare. Sound and graphics all look good to me, I've never noticed any stuttering or other emulation glitches.

XMAME is the only MAME that supports the dual analog sticks, so you'll need to use that for games like Robotron or Smash TV.

The analog sticks make a pretty decent trackball alternative, as well. Not perfect, but good enough.

eltehero (OP)

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2020, 11:26:01 pm »
Many Thanks for the reply Retroblast. Its good to know.

I had a gcw zero for a long while but never got round to using it for arcade games unfortunately. I really regret selling it a couple of years ago and afterwards wished I kept it for arcade games. I know the rg350 has the same CPU, so are it's XMAME and FBA  perfect ports of the original gcw zero versions? 
« Last Edit: March 01, 2020, 11:36:34 pm by eltehero »

RetroBlast

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2020, 07:16:55 pm »
FBA and XMAME have both been updated from the original GCW Zero versions to include support for the second analog stick. FBA has had a bunch of other improvements, as well.

The creator of XMAME was talking about releasing a 2.0 version (it's at 1.3 now), but he went radio silent all of a sudden. Don't know if that's going to happen.

berlinka

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2020, 12:07:57 pm »
Overall I'm happy with the arcade emulation, especially since vertical games work great on FBA (screen flips to the left so that you can use the right analog stick and the buttons). Even with XMAME and MAME4All you can re-map the buttons on vertical games to the D-pad and use the left analog for control, although that's not as nice as FBA's solution.

Some of the newer FBA titles can have a slowdown, but it's rare. Sound and graphics all look good to me, I've never noticed any stuttering or other emulation glitches.
That is something I have been struggling with the last couple of days, the fact that once in about every 30 seconds FBA games stutter. I tried multiple versions ond different firmwares. Or maybe it's a common issue on Final Burn Alpha?

rchrdcrg

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2020, 03:17:57 pm »
My experience has been very hit or miss, but between Mame4All and FBA I'm able to run most anything I'd want. FBA seems to work better with the particular roms I have, but Mame seems to be faster. Stuff like TMNT or the MK games ran slow on FBA but full speed on Mame, but FBA makes playing vertical games a freaking joy! Arcade games have always been a little more finicky to emulate due to so many different emulators and varying rom dumps and compatibility.

berlinka

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2020, 03:20:09 pm »
My experience has been very hit or miss, but between Mame4All and FBA I'm able to run most anything I'd want. FBA seems to work better with the particular roms I have, but Mame seems to be faster. Stuff like TMNT or the MK games ran slow on FBA but full speed on Mame, but FBA makes playing vertical games a freaking joy! Arcade games have always been a little more finicky to emulate due to so many different emulators and varying rom dumps and compatibility.
Okay, I take from what you're saying that it's fairly common that sound skips sometimes?

Post a new topic